S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 22nd, 2018, 07:15 PM   #1
JerryR708

Default Gum on Wheels: Goo Gone?

After skating several laps, I thought one of my wheels on my left skate either got a flat tire or the gaps in the wood floor was separating all of a sudden from temperature change. I was feeling and hearing a thump, thump, thump under my left skate. I parked and noticed gobs of chewing gum building up on my wheels.
When I got home I cleaned them up with Goo Gone and a rag. I then used dish soap and water on a damp rag to wipe them clean.
QUESTION: Will Goo Gone hurt my wheels?
JerryR708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2018, 12:30 AM   #2
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Never hurt mine

I have used Goo Gone many times and never had a problem. But it is important to remove all the Goo Gone with clear water after the cleaning. I use paper towel wet with tap water to do the job.

Just remember: do not use metal objects to remove the gunk from the wheels. You could create a flat spot. Recently I had a lot of gunk that would not come off completely(even using Goo Gone). The gunk was in the tread of the wheel(they are new) and I couldn't get enough pressure into the grove to remove the crap. I ended up using my Dremel with a brush wheel (not a metal brush). Result: clean wheels with no flat spots.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2018, 06:44 PM   #3
JerryR708

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
I have used Goo Gone many times and never had a problem. But it is important to remove all the Goo Gone with clear water after the cleaning. I use paper towel wet with tap water to do the job.

Just remember: do not use metal objects to remove the gunk from the wheels. You could create a flat spot. Recently I had a lot of gunk that would not come off completely(even using Goo Gone). The gunk was in the tread of the wheel(they are new) and I couldn't get enough pressure into the grove to remove the crap. I ended up using my Dremel with a brush wheel (not a metal brush). Result: clean wheels with no flat spots.

Keep rollin
As I continue to skate, I'm starting to realize that I need to assemble some sort of maintenance kit to bring to the rink. I thought I could just bring my new skates and off to the races. Then I realized I needed to bring my skate tool included with the skates for tightening and loosening the wheels. Now I need to add Goo Gone, paper towels, soap and water. Ohh..and a spatula to scrape up the gum off the rink floor. The lady behind the counter didn't have one, so she handed me a steak knife to clean the gum..:-/
Oh oh and a mini push broom to sweep up all the Skittles candy booby traps that were tossed onto the floor like my last session. Kids were tossing those candies while I was speed skating to test out my shiny and new skates to see how they respond and handle scrapes, dings and crashes.
JerryR708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2018, 02:27 AM   #4
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Cool Tools are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryR708 View Post
I'm starting to realize that I need to assemble some sort of maintenance kit...
My kit consists of replacement king pin, pivot pin, wheel lock nuts, all the wrenches and drivers needed to adjust the king pin or the pivot pin and their lock nuts, wheel nuts, and toe stops(Allen wrench). I also have a bandage(just in case). I also have a small container with Goo Gone. The water and paper towel to clean up afterward is available in the men's room.

I feel your pain. I skate with children twice a week and they often loose coins, bobby pins, gum, gummy bears, popcorn, ...etc. They have even been known to not make it to the restroom and leave an unseemly deposit on the rink floor. But that being said, I enjoy the rug rats. They keep me young and keep my reflexes sharp(have to be able to stop quickly to avoid rolling over a child). You just never know what a child will say(make things interesting).

Keep rollin
Old November 25th, 2018, 05:36 PM   #5
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Red face Sorry DocSk8

Just saw the orginal question was posted in your domain. Ouch!!!

My bad. I think I had just best roll on out of this.
Old November 26th, 2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default It's OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Just saw the orginal question was posted in your domain. Ouch!!!

My bad. I think I had just best roll on out of this.

Pretty good info. You know more about using the previously mentioned Goo removal agent than I do. Most times a gentle scrape w/ a mildly dull knife is my go to for gum. Never flat spotted a wheel doing it.

Lucky for me the local rinks are pretty spotless in that respect. Have not scraped gum in years.
Old November 27th, 2018, 02:00 AM   #7
leshomes

Default Cough Lolly

I had a half eaten cough lolly on my HeBeGb’s. It felt like I needed a wheel balance.
Old November 27th, 2018, 05:26 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Cough lolly??

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshomes View Post
I had a half eaten cough lolly on my HeBeGb’s. It felt like I needed a wheel balance.
Wow!! Never seen one. Had to look it up. Learn something new every day.
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:05 PM   #9
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Ice Ice Baby

Put those wheels in the freezer long enough, and the gum will easily flake off.

Or, if you desire, try this. https://www.excellent-supply.com/Rel...rpet_p_62.html If it will remove gum from carpet, it should work on wheels.