S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #1
2old2sk8t

Default NYC Skate Marathon & New York 100K

Surprised there isn't a thread yet about this race -- not that I could find anyway. So .....

Saturday, Sep. 25, 2010
Start: 7:00AM for all events. Check-in starts at 5:00AM
Event will be held rain or shine.

Website ... http://skatemarathon.org/Skate_Marat...vent_Info.html

Note: There's a confirmation link on the website that shows all registrants to date.
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Guns840
P.T.H.D

I cant wait
Guns840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

Definitely trying it out, will be a great experience and my goal is to at least finish it!
Rollerkingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

maybe there's a facebook page. that seems to be the trend. if it doesn't pop up right away see if it's connected to a guy named francisco ramirez, aka excelsk8
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #5
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
maybe there's a facebook page. that seems to be the trend. if it doesn't pop up right away see if it's connected to a guy named francisco ramirez, aka excelsk8
Yes, Francisco has had that FB page up for awhile now. There is a link to it on the event website. Here's the direct link if anyone is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/inlineskatemarathon
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #6
online inline

this is a top quality event with some absolutley amazing talent that shows up every year. International talent. The event is well run and the course is good, too. I've done the event before and i will be back this year to do it again!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #7
2old2sk8t

Looking forward to meeting everyone. This will be my second year (last year was my first). I never noticed that the start time is 7:00 AM. Yikes. They moved it up a full hour from last year.

Prospect Park is about an hour and 20 minutes from my house. I skated it a couple weekends ago, and will be doing it again tomorrow. Asphalt isn't in quite as good condition as last year, but still not bad overall. Just a few more rough spots from what I remembered and/or the rougher areas maybe a bit rougher in a couple places. My amateur opinion is that you don't want or need to go harder than 85a.

Last edited by 2old2sk8t; August 20th, 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammatical clarification
2old2sk8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #8
excelsk8
MPC Turbo

Hello guys, I haven't been here in while or so it seems... thanks 2old2skate for posting, and you are right, I was slacking not putting this event here...

the event will be more than just an event this year, we are having an expo starting earlier friday afternoon, and a scenic skate through the city (for those of you that want to get to see NYC on skates)
Then the race will be saturday with the awards for the kids and anyone who can't stay in NYC for the day at the race site, but all elite awards and NROC awards being presented at the Skyline Hotel again, having a second day of expo (so you can buy your goodies)
Saturday night its party time (details are still being worked on for the party)
Sunday morning we will have a skate clinic with Amrit (Nico) and myself leading it, I suspect that a whole bunch of amazing skaters will help run this clinic. (if you are interested in the clinic you need to register soon, if we don't have at least 10 people registered we will not have the clinic)

Start time: 7:00 AM yes we decided to move the start time of the race considerably, the parks are more crowded than ever before, so we want to make sure that the park is as clear as possible! also this seems to be a hot summer, this way the temperature should be optimal for 100K skate race!

Please let me know what you guys think of all this ideas/changes and if you have any suggestions please let me know. Hope to see everyone there.

PS make sure you come and introduce yourself, I'll be there setting up and at the expo!
excelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM   #9
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Fran, I cant wait!
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:38 AM   #10
rollingfeet

Default the race...

hello all,
i skated in this race last year. it was the first (only) event i had ever been in, didn't even know they had them. i had a great time, saw some very serious and strong skaters. had quite a large piece of humble pie that day, it tasted good though. i finished the 42k in just under two hours which was hardly competitive in the advanced group, but the experience really fueled my fire to come back this year in better shape and better prepared. i still do not expect to compete for even the top ten in advanced, i am primarily competing against myself or the course and the clock i should say. i would like to see my time in the low hour and fourties or even high thirties would be sweet. thirty three days to go, it's time to "bam! kick it up a notch"
btw, i was just at the nyc skate marathon site and i noticed that on aug. 31st the cost of registration goes up $10 so if you plan to race, rgstr this week.
thanks, this site is very cool
rollingfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #11
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

disappointed to not be able to attend this event anymore after some training.. family issue =/ oh well guess there's always next year, anyways i look forward to keep training outdoor while the evil snow doesn't come
Rollerkingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #12
Brianwheelies
Fun on 2 wheels or eight!

I still plan on coming down and racing, or skating. I haven't been able to practice much since moving upstate and since I'm still a newb on the speed skate boots, the original plan of doing the 100k the first time out is being nixed.

My main goal is to be able to be fitted for custom boots as I can't get my feet to agree with any of the boots I've tried. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks, forum members and vendors.
Brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #13
online inline

Brian, a great thing about this event is that, due to the loop layout, you get several chances to see the skaters. Even if you get lapped, keep your eyes open. You will see some international talent doing what they do to perfection. Do not under-estimate what a great opportunity this is! I am not kidding. With a little luck, you can tuck into the pack with these guys and hang for a few miles. Or you can see how the international World Cup skaters attack the hill, well, like it's not even a hill. Or you can see Eddie Matzgers field sprint for the finish. This is to mention just a few of the very memorable moments i have burned into my memory - some of the most inspiring skate moments i have on record!
From my experience, events like this one really grow the sport- letting you get up close to great talent, to maybe brush shoulders with them no matter where you are in whichever pack, and to see for yourself what great skating consists of.
That exposure can help a lot! Priceless, imo.
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #14
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Brian, a great thing about this event is that, due to the loop layout, you get several chances to see the skaters. Even if you get lapped, keep your eyes open. You will see some international talent doing what they do to perfection. Do not under-estimate what a great opportunity this is! .... Priceless, imo.
Good post, OI. And your statement about the way these guys can attack that hill is so true. That was my newbie Achilles heel last year. The elite skaters just "flattened" it out and "effortlessly" zoomed right up that hill like it was nothing. I was in awe.
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #15
online inline

Maybe there's some strategy to it. If there is, i don't ahve any idea, except that we should be practicing hills.

The two french skaters i saw hit it two years ago just never broke stride and matched cadence like it wasn't even there. I followed them up some distance back, trying for all i was worth to not swallow my tongue.

Boy, i can just bet that this year i;ll show it who's boss!
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #16
Brianwheelies
Fun on 2 wheels or eight!

I'm not sure which skates to use. If I use the Racemachine boot I will be in pain and have to skate a shorter distance. I have been thinking of swapping the frame of the Racemachine to the Speedmachine boot and see if I can comfortably skate fast for a long distance. I haven't been able to practice much and my diet is in shambles! I should not have moved before this event!
Brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #17
2old2sk8t

First and foremost, you want to have fun. So choose the boot and distance that will help ensure that.
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #18
excelsk8
MPC Turbo

True, fun is important, but I'd say SAFE first and foremost, the downhill in Prospect Park can be really challenging, maybe not in the get go when your legs are fresh, but when your legs are shot is definitely not the same!

Thanks everyone here for supporting this great race, this year it really does promise to be bigger and better than ever before!

Fran
excelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #19
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsk8 View Post
True, fun is important, but I'd say SAFE first and foremost, the downhill in Prospect Park can be really challenging, maybe not in the get go when your legs are fresh, but when your legs are shot is definitely not the same!

Thanks everyone here for supporting this great race, this year it really does promise to be bigger and better than ever before!

Fran
Very good point, Francisco. I found that last year (my first race) on the last lap in particular, when I hit the steepest part of the downhill, that I was having trouble keeping my skates controlled due to fatigue. Going full speed down that hill, my skates started to get a bit "squirrely" on me. There was one moment when I momentarily lost some control of my left skate due to that, and I almost fell.

Last edited by 2old2sk8t; September 10th, 2010 at 12:59 AM.
2old2sk8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #20
devlyn76
Time to skate!

I should be there *next* year. Child care issues this year, plus I'm sure I can use another year to work on conditioning...

-ben
devlyn76 is offline   Reply With Quote