S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old August 4th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #1
JorisKB

Default Paris 6h 2014

Yesterday took place the Paris 6h race. We were 5 quad skaters racing in the solo category. We were able to skate in a paceline for most of the race, and "Red Volta" got her place on the podium, third between 18 solo women, achieving 127,4 km in 6 hours. The other girl solo in quads, "Metalix" got the 8th place with 98,6 km.

It was a very good time seeing a quad skater on a podium between inliners.

It's nice to see derby girls involved in some other way of skating.
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #2
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
Yesterday took place the Paris 6h race. We were 5 quad skaters racing in the solo category. We were able to skate in a paceline for most of the race, and "Red Volta" got her place on the podium, third between 18 solo women, achieving 127,4 km in 6 hours. The other girl solo in quads, "Metalix" got the 8th place with 98,6 km.

It was a very good time seeing a quad skater on a podium between inliners.
Very nice, very good speed for that distance. Congratulation !!!

BTW what was your distance?
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #3
Armadillo

Yes, very good quad pace held for the demanding 6 hour period.
Hard to find 5 quad skaters that can stay together at such a good pace for this long.

Are there no restrictions on skaters holding hands together if they are registered in the "solo" category?

How much extra distance training to prepare for this grueling distance did people need do in advance of the race to be able to sustain such intensity for 6 hours? What kind of wind conditions? Flat course, or any hills? How warm was the weather?

-Armadillo
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #4
JorisKB

There was actually a miscalculation of 40m on the distance of the lap , so Red Volta actually achieve 131.76 km.

I had blister issues so I had to stop 1 lap (for 7 minutes) (plus I changed my bushings the day before, and did not stiffen them enough, so I stiffen them during my break, for real.). My distance was 129.32 km.

The guy in white, first in the picture, had to stop for 2 laps because he broke a roll line micro bearing during race and saw a wheel leaving his skate. He actually broke a second roll line micro in the last lap, but it was the internal one so he was able to keep the wheel and finish the race with a broken bearing. So 126.88 km for him
He already had broke a roll line micro 2 days before...

The guy in red was able to take a lap on us, it took him 3 hours skating pretty much alone. He was quite happy when he finally join us back. -> 134.2 km
He got the 9th place in solo men.

The girl in the back had big blisters and had to stop twice for 15 minutes, and she was hardly able to maintain her speed, she was alone for the biggest part of her 100.04 km.

I think we are not really supposed to hold hand, whatever is our category, but there is not that much to win in this type of race anyway .
They were also some very good quad skaters in the duo and 5skaters categories with which we shared some laps.
We actually only had a couple of full laps with the 5 solo all together.

Condition where really good, it was in Bois de Boulogne, which is a wood west of Paris, so we were protected from the wind by trees. We had little rain for half an hour, but that was no big deal, specially for quads. It was not very hot, under 25C I think. No real difficulty in the landscape, some ups and downs, but I was able to keep my skating rate, so for me it was OK. Some 90 turns and narrow path made the race a tricky one though.

The main difficulty was the ground being extremely rough on a quarter of the lap, with old concrete partially cover by chippings, roots of trees going under creating bumps, etc. While I got no blisters in more than 17 hours during Le Mans 24, I had big blisters here in less than 3 hours.

In Paris there are skating tour pretty much every day in the streets, some are official and others are "wild", but our training is just about that, 2-3 hours of riding the streets 2-3 times a week.
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #5
groldan

Congratulations, that's a very good mark for quad skating, and is also a long distance !

I'd like to join to the Paris 6h or 24h Lemans in the future with my quads, but its a bit far from Madrid, not easy.
groldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #6
evilzzz

131km over 6 hrs is super impressive!

Would love to do this race next year.. I'm sure I must have skated with some of you guys at Le Mans
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote