S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum > Advertising Forum Guidelines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1
kufman

Default Possible Scammer Warning!!!

I don't know if this is the correct place for this, but I wanted to get the word out on this. I have some items for same posted in the Inline thread and I got an e-mail offer from someone wishing to buy but they wanted to pay with a certified check. All if good except they then said the the check out be written for an overpaid amount and that I was to wire the remainder to his "Mover." I am quite sure this is a scam and I wanted to warn others that have items up for sale here. I am pretty sure he found my items on Nettracing since I didn't post my e-mail on this forum. I could be wrong on this and if so I apologize (let me know if I am wrong). Since I am not fully sure that I am correct, please PM me if you want to know the suspect e-mail address and name that was used. I wouldn't want to post it here and then be wrong.

Later,

Matt
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I don't know if this is the correct place for this, but I wanted to get the word out on this. I have some items for same posted in the Inline thread and I got an e-mail offer from someone wishing to buy but they wanted to pay with a certified check. All if good except they then said the the check out be written for an overpaid amount and that I was to wire the remainder to his "Mover." I am quite sure this is a scam and I wanted to warn others that have items up for sale here. I am pretty sure he found my items on Nettracing since I didn't post my e-mail on this forum. I could be wrong on this and if so I apologize (let me know if I am wrong). Since I am not fully sure that I am correct, please PM me if you want to know the suspect e-mail address and name that was used. I wouldn't want to post it here and then be wrong.

Later,

Matt
I also got a suspicious PM wanting to buy any plates I might have for size 10.5 in a very wide price range. Seemed bogus and I put them off.
Seemed like they were fishing for suckers to pull off a scam like yours.

-Armadillo
Old October 15th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #3
pdinphx
Jedi Master Wasabe

Matt,

No, you are absolutely correct that this is a scam ... in LE circles, this is often referred to as the Nigerian or 419 scam.

I had a similar experience when I posted my Bont Vaypors for sale on Nettracing.

Indeed, I have the 'certified check' (.. in the amount of $2,800 ..) -- shipped to me from Great Britain, in the name of a Hispanic payor (even though my email contact had an Asian name).

I have already confirmed that the check is a forged document. In most cases, these checks are outright forgeries -- meaning the account numbers and holders are fake. In some instances, the checks are valid, but the check writer does not have authority to draw on the account, so ultimately, the check will be cancelled.

Because the perpetrators are overseas, prosecution is next to impossible. Best just to have a little fun, while limiting your exposure. In any event, don't give them anything - including your home mailing address - that they can later use to steal your identity ... which is oftentimes Plan B when the scam fails.
pdinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #4
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdinphx View Post
Matt,

No, you are absolutely correct that this is a scam ... in LE circles, this is often referred to as the Nigerian or 419 scam.

I had a similar experience when I posted my Bont Vaypors for sale on Nettracing.

Indeed, I have the 'certified check' (.. in the amount of $2,800 ..) -- shipped to me from Great Britain, in the name of a Hispanic payor (even though my email contact had an Asian name).

I have already confirmed that the check is a forged document. In most cases, these checks are outright forgeries -- meaning the account numbers and holders are fake. In some instances, the checks are valid, but the check writer does not have authority to draw on the account, so ultimately, the check will be cancelled.

Because the perpetrators are overseas, prosecution is next to impossible. Best just to have a little fun, while limiting your exposure. In any event, don't give them anything - including your home mailing address - that they can later use to steal your identity ... which is oftentimes Plan B when the scam fails.
Ya, unfortunately I didn't identify the scam until after we started discussing payment so he/she does have my home address.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #5
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
I also got a suspicious PM wanting to buy any plates I might have for size 10.5 in a very wide price range. Seemed bogus and I put them off.
Seemed like they were fishing for suckers to pull off a scam like yours.

-Armadillo
Got same pm also....
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Gville-Schooler
THAT'S HOW I ROLL!!!

there wouldn't be no scam with me, you send me a check and if it doesn't clear you don't get sh*t. if someone sends me a check they are gonna be waiting until it clears
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #7
topcarbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville-Schooler View Post
there wouldn't be no scam with me, you send me a check and if it doesn't clear you don't get sh*t. if someone sends me a check they are gonna be waiting until it clears
there is a new scam, where the check clears......and BOOM! It bounces 7-10 days later.

btw, who uses checks these days?
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #8
Gville-Schooler
THAT'S HOW I ROLL!!!

i think the safest way to do it is paypal. but i will take a check from someone i know well on here and have dealt with before. someone with 0 posts wanting to buy with a check, i probably wouldn't even fool with them.
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #9
topcarbon

PayPal works for me.

Now I have to dig up some stuff for sale.

Anybody need anything?
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Christopher-T
Quad Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcarbon View Post
PayPal works for me.

Anybody need anything?

Yeah,, agreed.. Pay pal or no deal Pal. Scammers need to be dealt with. with all the tchnology we have it seems someone could get trace I.P. address, but it wouldn't do any good if their over the border..

And yes, if you start digging and find a size F satellite or a bigfoot sz. 12 speed boot please hollar at me...
Christopher-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Smokin_Endo
Satellite Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher-T View Post
Yeah,, agreed.. Pay pal or no deal Pal. Scammers need to be dealt with. with all the tchnology we have it seems someone could get trace I.P. address, but it wouldn't do any good if their over the border..

And yes, if you start digging and find a size F satellite or a bigfoot sz. 12 speed boot please hollar at me...
Chris I have some new old stock black size F Satellites (plate bases only)

LMK if you want to work something out

Brian
Smokin_Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #12
lharasim
Skate to get High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville-Schooler View Post
i think the safest way to do it is paypal. but i will take a check from someone i know well on here and have dealt with before. someone with 0 posts wanting to buy with a check, i probably wouldn't even fool with them.
FYI People .. I have been ripped off from a guy that bought some very expensive speakers...paid via paypal...there were issues (shipping damage) ..so the guy called his credit card company(said it was fraud) got all his money back!!!! and didn't have to give back my stuff!! I would have had to pay lot of money to goto court spend hours traveling etc....sorry to say paypal is not equal opportunity company...I wont accept any payment Via paypal anymore its just my policy now...I hate ebay and now paypal!!

Have a nice day
Old December 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharasim View Post
FYI People .. I have been ripped off from a guy that bought some very expensive speakers...paid via paypal...there were issues (shipping damage) ..so the guy called his credit card company(said it was fraud) got all his money back!!!! and didn't have to give back my stuff!! I would have had to pay lot of money to goto court spend hours traveling etc....sorry to say paypal is not equal opportunity company...I wont accept any payment Via paypal anymore its just my policy now...I hate ebay and now paypal!!

Have a nice day
Exactely^^^

A friend of mine tells me that even though a paypal purchase has been produced, they can still pull the money days after the original sales date.

Alot of good this does you when you had already shipped your goods, only to have the payment pulled as the product in currently in route to the purchaser.

So from what I understand, the term; "Buyer-Beware," will always hold true no matter what safety nets are in place.

Bummer.
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #14
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharasim View Post
FYI People .. I have been ripped off from a guy that bought some very expensive speakers...paid via paypal...there were issues (shipping damage) ..so the guy called his credit card company(said it was fraud) got all his money back!!!! and didn't have to give back my stuff!! I would have had to pay lot of money to goto court spend hours traveling etc....sorry to say paypal is not equal opportunity company...I wont accept any payment Via paypal anymore its just my policy now...I hate ebay and now paypal!! Have a nice day
On October 3, 2002, PayPal became a wholly-owned subsidiary of eBay. Its corporate headquarters are in San Jose, California, United States at eBay's North First Street satellite office campus. The company also has significant operations in Omaha, Nebraska; Scottsdale, Arizona; and Austin, Texas in the U.S., Chennai, Dublin, Berlin and Tel-Aviv. As of July 2007, across Europe, PayPal also operates as a Luxembourg-based bank.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #15
godzilla
Red Magic wheels

We had a similar conversation with friends over dinner tonight. I put a table a leaf blower and an edger for sale on gumtree.com.au, and within a day 2 scammers had emailed me saying that they would pay by paypal and they would send someone over to pick up the items. I said which one, he said he would take all of them (even though he had no idea what the other 2 items were) but I can't call him because of bad weather his phone isn't working... Pretty much everyone at dinner had had similar encounters on various web sites, one selling model aeroplanes on a specialized forum and another selling craft goods on a crafting forum. They are just everywhere atm... Last week I had a guy from India call me and say that my pc was infected with a virus and he would help me fix it. They are putting ads in the paper for apartments that don't exist and ask for a deposit site unseen... Today I got a bill for my ad from a company I had never heard of. Fake billing.

alx
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #16
Rotary

They can cancel paypal days later after payment is received. My friend lost several hundred dollars due to this. I see these scams slot when I post on crags list, cash is king anymore.
Rotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #17
Demolishun
Aggro Member

If anyone suggested to me that I do something like that I would drop it immediately. That is how these guys launder money through credit cards too. It makes me wonder about the people that actually agree to such a thing. I remember seeing a thing where people would accept goods shipped to their house and forward them to other people. They would get paid for the transfer. I thought how stupid could someone be? Crazy stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on paypal. I do contract work and would hate to get stiffed 60 hours worth of work. So far the clients I have now are very good about paying and are ethical. I will keep my eye out for foreign clients. That is a big possibility with my line of work.
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #18
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Hmmm, check this out:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...ion_learn_more

I am particularly interested in this section:
Quote:
When you are not covered:

* Items are picked up locally or delivered in person.
* You sell services, intangible items, or digital goods.
* You receive multiple payments for the same item.
* You've received a claim or a chargeback, and the shipped item is found to be significantly different than it was described.

Example: You describe a black laptop, but send a silver one.
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #19
Old School Roller

Default Deanoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcarbon View Post
PayPal works for me.

Anybody need anything?
Yes I am Deanoes and Boens I can always hope....I have a set of 155 Italian Galaxys to trade if you have anything

Kevin.
Old School Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #20
masmojo

Exclamation Pay-pal

Last time I sold anything on Ebay I required that the seller pay me via funds from their bank account, No credit cards! Much more difficult for Ebay to recall the funds that way, BUT I don't think that's an option anymore, Pay-Pal/ebay forces you to accept credit cards! SO if somebody recalls funds on you, you are basically screwed! YOU REALLy have to deal with people who have good feedback!

Maybe, why I have not sold anything on ebay in a while!
masmojo is offline   Reply With Quote