S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 21st, 2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Default Plate and boot question

Hi DocSK8.

If I got a new boot and wanted to have a new plate mounted on it, who should I ask for help?

I'm using you as a starting point. Should I just ask around at local spots and see how everyone else did it? Do you have any recommendations? I usually destroy anything I touch, so I CAN NOT be the person to put them on.

Sorry if it's a stupid question and thanks for your time.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 01:08 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Hi DocSK8.

If I got a new boot and wanted to have a new plate mounted on it, who should I ask for help? I'm using you as a starting point.

Good call... There are folks on the forum that can point you in the right direction. I have been known to do speed / derby style sk8s. I don't goof w/ art style or big quad hockey boots.

Should I just ask around at local spots and see how everyone else did it?

Oh hell no... for every correctly mounted pair of plates, I have seen 1 dozen or 2 that were questionable at best to "How on earth can you sk8 that??" @ worst.

Do you have any recommendations? I usually destroy anything I touch, so I CAN NOT be the person to put them on.

My first recommendation is study the quad forum and this one as well. You could save yourself a lot of trouble by walking into this educated.

Sorry if it's a stupid question and thanks for your time.
Not a stupid question... I'll toss ya a tip or 3.
1) Figure out what kind of sk8ing you really want to do. It will directly impact everything further down the chain.

2) Make sure the boots fit correctly. Do NOT just buy something that is the same as your street shoe size. You really don't plan to walk much in your sk8s so what works for street shoes may not work for sk8 shoes.

3) Select a decent plate to sk8 on. Some will work better for your chose style than others. Some plates only work well when mounted to particular types of boots.. Plastic plates will work much better on a fiberglass or carbon soled boot than on a conventional boot. Metal plates are my preference. This is one place where you will get what you pay for. Also understand there is no such thing as a correct plate size for a shoe size. The plate needs to match your feet, not your shoes. If you have a long or a short arch measurement, that will require a different consideration than a cook book set up.

4) Asking other folks may or may not help you get to where you want to be. It took me a couple of years to figure that out myself. I cannot count the number of times I have been told that boot x on plate y is the only way to sk8... The I look @ my feet and see nothing that was just recommended. (I generally have already tried whatever was recommended and moved on). This is big issue w/ me. Someone who has only sk8ed one pair of good sk8s in their life is NOT the person you want to get advice from.

5) Once you have a basic idea of what you think you want find a pro or 3 (second opinions are always a good thing) to discuss your choices.

This is supposed to be food for thought. Hope it helps. Good luck!!

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #3
Jimmy2750
Jimmy Pro

Default Wh's the one for mounting?

Hello Doc,
Your opinion is needed...Been reading probably too much lol. Soon getting a new pair of Imperials with R. 297 boots. Where is the best place to mount the plate? Flush with the heel or forward of the heel? And best to stay with recommended plate size?
THANKS JP
Jimmy2750 is offline   Reply With Quote