S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 30th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #1
mtleighton

Default Best indoor wheels?

I haven't skated in a long, long time. Looking to get back in with a new set up (probably going to pick up a Z from bont). Any preference on indoor wheels? I prefer sticky over firm, and I remember blue Matters being pretty good a few years black.
mtleighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtleighton View Post
I haven't skated in a long, long time. Looking to get back in with a new set up (probably going to pick up a Z from bont). Any preference on indoor wheels? I prefer sticky over firm, and I remember blue Matters being pretty good a few years black.
It's personal preference and usually has to do with how you skate, as the wheel profiles differ slightly.

Matter Lethal-X wheels (both 110mm and 125mm) tend to have a profile that works better for skaters that step on their edges, rather than step on the top of their feet and roll onto their edges.

TLTF (also known as WRW in past wheels) and Atom wheels tend to have a fatter, rounder profile that helps with the latter of the above mentioned skating types.

I'm the latter and prefer TLTF Honey Badgers with the solid (blue) core. The stiffer core works better for heavier skaters and tends to have better roll.

It also depends on the floor you skate on. Honey Badgers have worked fairly well for me on freshly coated floors and floors that haven't been coated in a while. I have only skated wood floors, so if you skate on epoxy-coated boards board or concrete, this may be different.

As usual, harder wheels work better on freshly of newer floor coatings.

What I usually see at competitions:

* TLTF Honey Badgers
Purple graphic XX+ (hardest)
Pink graphic XX (hard)
Solid core (blue hub)
Flex core (yellow hub)

* Matter Lethal-X
Yellow Tire F1 (hardest)
Green tire F2 (hard)

* Atom Boom Indoor / Atom Sub 7 (same urethane)
Purple Tire (Boom)/ Green tire (Sub7) X-Firm (hardest)
Black Tire (Boom)/ Blue tire (Sub7) Firm (hard)
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #3
mtleighton

Thanks for the help, man. It's been so long that it's hard for me to say what my form is like in regards to wheel profile.

I also can't believe we're at 125mm wheels now. That seems uncomfortably big.
mtleighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtleighton View Post
I also can't believe we're at 125mm wheels now. That seems uncomfortably big.
A lot older crowd likes the 125mm wheels, mainly because they roll forever. I skated on them for 2 seasons and could never really get comfortable diving into corners, so I would tend to coast in and drive hard causing me to run up on others. It got tiring.

Wheel selection for 110mm wheels is better as well. TLTF recently released the Halo Badger 125mm wheels, with the same urethane as the Honey Badgers and I’ve heard good things about them. Atom has been working on 125mm wheels for a while now, but nothing has been released to the public. So your indoor 125mm choices are Matter Lethal-X, TLTF Halo Badgers, or Matter/TLTF/MPC/Atom/Bont outdoor wheels. The two years I skated on 125mm wheels indoors, I used mostly Matter outdoor wheels (One20Fives, G13s, or my favorite Code White).
Old December 1st, 2017, 11:34 AM   #5
WJCIV

If you really like sticky you might want to look into Roll'X Xbirds. They're very sticky and cheap (great for getting back into the sport). The hubs are a bit light, so if you weigh 200+ or intend to run low-9s they may not be the best option. They may also be hard to get in the States.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 01:26 PM   #6
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
If you really like sticky you might want to look into Roll'X Xbirds. They're very sticky and cheap (great for getting back into the sport). The hubs are a bit light, so if you weigh 200+ or intend to run low-9s they may not be the best option. They may also be hard to get in the States.
Best bet is to head to https://skatelifellc.com/ for those. Bob Easton is the company owner and one of my best friends.