S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old March 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Engel

Default What is your favorite outdoor wheels?

Just to tell the name of your favorite, and second favorite wheels for outdoors. lets see wich wheels gets the most votes
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Nellie

These:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VANGUARD-Boome...item563bbee012 (mine aren't pink, though, and they won't get many votes here, because hardly anyone knows them)
If you don't want to spend too much, these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KRYPTONICS-TRU...item33588c6645 are amazing too (you'd need two sets, obviously, if you bought the ones in this link). My boyfriend has them and I tried them out the other day - really comfy on rough ground and easily go over pebbles ... They're a bit wide (40mm), but that didn't bother me.
I was also much faster than with the 62mm Kryptonics Routes I've been using recently.
While 62mm wheels are okay outdoors, I'd recommend larger wheels for comfort and speed.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

1. Labeda Bad Boyz (oh what I would give for another set......)
2. Sure Grip Sugars
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Bosco

super mundo!!
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:07 AM   #5
quadskater71

Default These and these.

Number one has to be...

70mm Velocity race/ Twisters,

and second I agree with Nellie on the Boomerangs, they are blooody great mate!! These are 70mm but the 65mm are also really good.

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:59 PM   #6
jbgerman

For longer distances the ABEC11 Flywheels 76mm, 81A. Skateboard wheels, shaped on a lathe by Johannes.

To have fun outdoors: Kryptonics Impulse 58mm, 78A. Very narrow wheels, ideally for dancing and spinning.

jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Nellie

Default Outdoor wheels comparison photo

70mm Vanguard Boomerang (140g), 65mm Kryptonics True (140g), 65mm Sure-grip Motion (135g), 62mm Kryptonics Route (115g)
- weight in brackets with bearings and aluminum spacers

I tried out my new Sure-Grip Motions today, and so far I'm not very impressed. They're so grippy or even sticky that at the beginning it was hard to do T-stops, and they make squeaky sounds on very smooth surfaces. They felt slower than the Kryptonics Trues and provided less cushioning on uneven ground.
As these wheels are highly recommended on the French forum, I hope that they will improve with use.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

I've only just started skating outdoors, but after doing a lot of reading, went with the Krypto Route 65's (78A). They worked well. Did an 8km trail skate on a rough track - several changes in the track surfaces from asphalt to cement to some sort of paving. Lots of cracks and debris in some parts of the track, but the kryptos handled it all well.
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Gero

1. Velocity Race 70mm/84a from Pacer
(aka RD Twister) - (both discontinued)
2. Helium 64mm/83a from Roll line
3. nothing
4. nothing
5. Route 70 70mm/78a from Kryptonics (just for dirty and uneven streets)
and skate like nobody's watching.

Last edited by Gero; April 27th, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Engel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
2. Sure Grip Sugars
I've heard wonders about the sugars from a friend of mine, she is so in love with hers she is almost getting married to those things.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Engel

sorry for the stuopid question, but:
Are those boomerang wheels discontinued? if they are (wich i figured they probably are by the link posted) are they hard to come by? because i have lots of stuff to pay for right now, but i am reading some threads here in the outdoor session and they look like really good wheels from the few that mention them, they seem to love them. so i just wanted to know if i should jump at the opportunity of buying a set as soon as i can find it, or if they arent really rare
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM   #12
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngelTeufel View Post
sorry for the stuopid question, but:
Are those boomerang wheels discontinued? if they are (wich i figured they probably are by the link posted) are they hard to come by? because i have lots of stuff to pay for right now, but i am reading some threads here in the outdoor session and they look like really good wheels from the few that mention them, they seem to love them. so i just wanted to know if i should jump at the opportunity of buying a set as soon as i can find it, or if they arent really rare
They were discontinued in the late 80s. So if you have a good opportunity to buy them for a reasonable price, - and you want them - you should jump at the chance.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM   #13
Armadillo

We can't really take all the reviews of outdoor (indoor too) wheels too seriously.
Why? -- Because they are always based on comparisons with what other wheels a skater has skated. If the reviewer has never previously skated on any truly outstanding set of outdoor wheels, then what is their reference point for assessing the performance of a new set for them? When someone tells me how good a set of wheels rolls outdoors, I want to know what is the BEST previous set of wheels they rolled were. If those are actually not so hot wheels, then they might just be too easily impressed with the new ones and overly enthusiastic for them.

Most of us veteran outdoor skaters here at SLF consider the discontinued 70mm Velocity Race wheels to be our reference wheel for what is the best performing outdoor quad wheel. Sadly, not every outdoor quad skating enthusiast has had or will have a chance to skate on these.
However, my point is that unless you have experienced the really high performance truly primo wheels can give you, it is too easy to be impressed with not so good wheels, merely because they are better then the majority of crappy wheels that have the "outdoor" or "indoor/outdoor" marketing label slapped on them and have a duro reading that is on the 78A-89A range.

Yes, it is good to know how people rate the mediocre and less than stellar wheels too, since at least we can still purchase (or avoid) these, but it is also helpful to state your previous best wheel experience for skating outdoors, to better qualify the opinion(s) you might offer.

-Armadillo
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM   #14
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
We can't really take all the reviews of outdoor (indoor too) wheels too seriously.
Why? -- Because they are always based on comparisons with what other wheels a skater has skated. [...] 70mm Velocity Race wheels to be our reference wheel for what is the best performing outdoor quad wheel. Sadly, not every outdoor quad skating enthusiast has had or will have a chance to skate on these.
-Armadillo
The Velocity Race might be the ultimate reference, but they are gone. It is nearly impossible to find a set, used or NOS. So we should take a more realistic scenario as a reference.

Or we must threatening a manufacturer with the use of armed force to offer a reasonable outdoor wheel - e.g. 70 mm diameter, 35 mm wiede, 80A-85A, large core, etc.
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #15
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormi View Post
I've only just started skating outdoors, but after doing a lot of reading, went with the Krypto Route 65's (78A). They worked well. Did an 8km trail skate on a rough track - several changes in the track surfaces from asphalt to cement to some sort of paving. Lots of cracks and debris in some parts of the track, but the kryptos handled it all well.
+1

I also would put Boomerangs second... but I have an OLLLLLD set of Kryptos, the harder sea-blue colored ones with "Krypto" actually imprinted in the side of the wheel, not painted on. Got them from a friend when I did the A2A and they skated just fine, but on the gator-back (the rough surfaced road) it was hell... but I don't know if ANY wheel could have made that section of road any better!!!!
sommemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #16
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I had some Variflex outdoor wheels in the early `80`s that were awesome.
Now all I have are Hyper Rollo`s, Sure Grip Aerobics and some cheapos`s off ebay that are smooth as glass.
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #17
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Old school "Baby Kyrpto's" 57mm 78a red w/ black hubs "KYRPTOS" embedded in the wheel end x2.
Used the have a set of green that were 57mm 90a ish? IIRC.
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #18
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Old school "Baby Kyrpto's" 57mm 78a red w/ black hubs "KYRPTOS" embedded in the wheel end x2.
Used the have a set of green that were 57mm 90a ish? IIRC.
The green were 92A, a still own a set of this wheels. The other colors were yellow 88A and white 96A.
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #19
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
I had some Variflex outdoor wheels in the early `80`s that were awesome.
Now all I have are Hyper Rollo`s, Sure Grip Aerobics and some cheapos`s off ebay that are smooth as glass.
These Variflex wheels?

65 mm diameter, ca. 85A.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #20
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
These Variflex wheels?

65 mm diameter, ca. 85A.
Yep, that be the ones Loved them things