S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 16th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #21
airmandan10
I'd rather be Skating

Mentions Kangocow for the 35's.

airmandan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #22
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Kangocow + KangoTan

Different name, same critter.. and does not bounce, it moos.

I'm waiting to see something in print that says Kangaroo..
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:54 AM   #23
BananasRUS
Quads.....'nuff said!

Default 1962 ad that says "Kangaroo".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Please stop with the speculation.. I know it's interesting but I really want someone to provide us with something concrete..

I'd love to see just one advert that said kangaroo leather..
[QUOTE=Doc Sk8;553589]Different name, same critter.. and does not bounce, it moos.

I'm waiting to see something in print that says Kangaroo.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Betty-L...-/140594672417

Okay, Doc, here you go! It clearly states Kangaroo and even has a picture of a 'roo in the ad!
BananasRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:28 AM   #24
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Thanks..

At last a real Kangaroo boot.. Now, lets get to he Riedell speed boots...
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:41 AM   #25
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Cool We Have A NOS Pair Of Hyde "Betty Lytle" Boots At The Rink...

Size 5 White with a Blue leather lining. Extremely well made boots!

Derrick......
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #26
Grandpa
Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
how can you tell if a boot was made with the infamous kangoroo leather.......
I was around back in the days of Kangaroo boots and the 295's had a stitchless sole in those days. If there is stitching on the sole, then it's a pretty safe bet that they're not kangaroo leather.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #27
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
I was around back in the days of Kangaroo boots and the 295's had a stitchless sole in those days. If there is stitching on the sole, then it's a pretty safe bet that they're not kangaroo leather.
As we have all been told or heard.. Can anyone show me something in print that says the boots were Kangaroo...
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #28
Grandpa
Grandpa

Quote:
As we have all been told or heard.. Can anyone show me something in print that says the boots were Kangaroo...
The only thing that I know with absolute certainty, and this is coming from Riedell, is that the kangaroo leather was used up until the early 80's. According to Riedell, anything in the 295 model that pre-dates the period when they started using the 'Kango-Tan" moniker in the early 80's is kangaroo. They did not specify a date when that change took place.
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #29
Nathan_

Has anyone bothered to call Riegelman and ask him directly ?
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #30
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
Has anyone bothered to call Riegelman and ask him directly ?
Folks, I think we are missing the point here.. While myths and legends are fine for around the campfire..oh wait...., I meant snack bar, I want to see it in print... I have been lead down the primrose path too many times believing what some old head has stated as fact..

This is not a slam on anyone here.. I have known folks that are certain of one "fact" or another only to find out there is contradictory evidence in print.. I follow a maxim for an old Sinbad movie..."Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel." Or to coin another phrase "Show me the money"...

As it stands, I cannot validate any Riedell speed boot was built in Kangaroo leather.

BTW: Asking someone that advertises the R3 "Derby" sk8 as "No better way to get started in derby" is not someone I would necessarily have complete confidence in..
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #31
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananasRUS View Post
Okay, Doc, here you go! It clearly states Kangaroo and even has a picture of a 'roo in the ad!
Wish it said what model number boot, I have tons of NOS Hyde boots.

On another note..
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #32
Nathan_

Quote:

BTW: Asking someone that advertises the R3 "Derby" sk8 as "No better way to get started in derby" is not someone I would necessarily have complete confidence in..

good point
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #33
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhetttro View Post
Wish it said what model number boot, I have tons of NOS Hyde boots.

On another note..
Nice.... 351s and 353s are validated as being made in 3 different leathers.. So at least we know Oberhamer had Kangaroo leather..

Thanks for that... Any idea if those are marked in any particular way??
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #34
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Nice.... 351s and 353s are validated as being made in 3 different leathers.. So at least we know Oberhamer had Kangaroo leather..

Thanks for that... Any idea if those are marked in any particular way??
Dad pointed me at this ad, I'll ask him. He was a salesman for Tillinghast in the mid 70's until they closed in the 80's. He amazes me sometimes what knowledge he still has about skate equipment. Especially boots.
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #35
Grandpa
Grandpa

[QUOTE=BananasRUS;554918]
Quote:
Different name, same critter.. and does not bounce, it moos.

I'm waiting to see something in print that says Kangaroo.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Betty-L...-/140594672417

I know a gal that is 81 years old and still skates on her HYDE boots. She told me that the company is no more. That conversation was the first time I had even heard of the company.
Old December 10th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #36
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

The Reidell 595's in my avatar were listed on eBay as late 80's real kangaroo leather. Whether they are real roo leather is beyond me. I will mention that the leather is seemingly a bit thinner, seems less porous, seems to stay shinier with less effort and stretches and molds to fit my foot perfectly.
Most comfortable boot I have ever worn.

In the mid to late 80's, when I started playing soccer, I bought the regular Adidas cowhide leather cleats. When it came time for an upgrade, around '89, my mom and I went shopping for some new cleats. I knew at that time I liked Adidas the best bc the brand fit my foot like a glove.

The store owner suggested an upgrade to "real" kangaroo leather cleats for more competive level of play. He advised me that when I first put the boot on it would feel tight bc kangaroo leather is very stretchy and molds to the foot better than cowhide. This was my first experience with a supposed real kangaroo leather boot.

The difference was vast. The leather was a soft, stretchy, and conformed to my foot so my foot didn't slide in my boot nearly as much when performing fast stops or cuts. I used to have terrible trouble with ingrown toenails due to the sliding or pinching in some areas of the boot.
This is gross but after a game in my cowhide cleats I would spend a considerable amount of time lancing my torn ingrown toenails...pushing pus out and trimming broken skin away from the nail then poring alcohol over the injuries.
After getting the "kangaroo" leather cleats, I didn't have nearly as much trouble.
These are almost exactly what they looked like...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adidas-World...5#ht_500wt_922

When I started derby in '08 I bought a pair of 265 boots. It's what I could afford. The leather was extremely tough to break in just like my old cowhide cleats. I suffered a lot of blisters and pinching till I got them properly broken in.

Recently when I bought the late 1980's 595's advertised as kangaroo leather, the fit and feel was miraculously just like my Adidas "kangaroo" leather upgrade. It was what I had been searching for in a skate boot for three years.

Now I'm not sure if I can honestly say if I have ever had a real kangaroo boot but the ones advertised as such had a sinpgnificantly different feel than the regular cowhide boots. The main factor I noticed in "kangaroo" leather was that the leather stretched to conform to the foot far better and was light years more comfortable. Less break in time and much softer.
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #37
Grandpa
Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletBuckle View Post
Recently when I bought the late 1980's 595's advertised as kangaroo leather, the fit and feel was miraculously just like my Adidas "kangaroo" leather upgrade. It was what I had been searching for in a skate boot for three years.
According to Riedell, they stopped making kangaroo boots in the early 80's. They're likely the Kango-Tan leather, which is also reported by those who have owned them to be just as soft and comfortable.
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #38
Poobah

Sorry to necro-bounce this old topic, but I've found a bit of useful information and a link.

Kangaroo hide has been illegal to import to California since 1971. For a time after 2007 it WAS legal so long as certain harvesting rules were followed. Given that there's probably been no great demand for real 'roo hide in the U.S. (half of us seem to think Kanga Tan is kangaroo hide anyways) and even with derby, skating is still not such a big thing as it once was, nobody bit. Which was good, because then in 2011 California made the rules stricter so that once again, kangaroo hide was illegal there again.

California state law doesn't apply to the rest of the U.S., but often enough because of the size of the population there (11.9% of the U.S. population, and a LOT of U.S. skaters), businesses tend to follow California law to avoid the hassle and potential legal troubles there (having to keep non-compliant products out of the state).
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #39
bolivia

glad you bounced it.......a very good thread.
Old August 7th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #40
TraceBassPlayer

Ok, So... I know , no pics = no proof... and this is an old thread but...

You probably won't find proof unless you can find someone with a catalog from 80-85...
Pics of peoples skates in the 80's would be rare as we didn't have phone cameras and cameras back then weren't something we carried around, especially at a rink.
that said...

I bought a pair brand new in 84 from Scott's Valley Roller Palace.
They were the Riedell speed boots on RC Sunlite II plates, Vanguard Hugger Fan Jets (with holes that looked like the Mags on my 68 Firebird).. Fafnir bearings. Being Kangaroo is what sold me on the boots. Softer than cow, thinner but much stronger according to the salesman in the pro shop. I think I paid somewhere around 4-500 bucks for them, total.

The boots (as far as I can remember) looked like 695s (maybe a 295?) all black except having RIEDELL across the cinch strap and I don't remember anything printed on the side, said Made In USA on the tongue I beleive - I didn't pay much attention to it but was careful during cleaning
with the front strap -
Laced from front toe to top of the boot, I had a hard time keeping the laces tied out from under the Velcro front cinch strap.
Blueish leather where it was either not dyed around the edges of the boot opening & tongue or where I had worn off the dye.
They were very smooth (not like gloss) and didn't "crease or crakle" like cow leather (which will never look blueish at the bare edge or when worn out. I say crackle cause cow leather looks crackled when stressed, check out some old cowboy or leather work boots ann you'll see what I mean. The Kangaroo leather doesn't seem to do that because IMO the leather is not as large pored as cow skin if that makes sense. well, I should say "steer skin" since we don't normally butcher cows, they produce milk and more cows to produce more milk which means more money for the farmer... lol.

I know this as I wore Red Wing work boots and Cowboy boots when not in my skates and could see the difference in the texture of the leathers.
Yeah, Some of us cowboys skate, too.

Anyway, as far as having 12 eyelets... doubtful, as a size 6 boot isn't long enough in the metatarsal area for 12 eyelets where as a size 12 or 13 might accommodate 14 eyelets...

Take this with a grain of salt if you want as it IS my recollection of my skates and I can't prove any of it with pics as it was 30 years ago and last time I SAW my skates was 11 years ago in 2004 just before my step kid stole them, and they probably ended up in a pawn shop in Tacoma, WA along with his mom's dvd player, camera, laptop, and a few other things...

BackOfThePack is pretty right on the money with his post.

I was 24 when I bought mine - so, ya, mid 20's.
description seems exactly what I remember, too.

just IMO but, I doubt you'll find any real vintage Riedell kangaroo boots now a days that are in good enough shape to skate in.

hope this helps. wish I could provide pics but both rinks that I skated in are now long gone so, even a stashed in the back ancient catalog would be unattainable.
TraceBassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote