S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old March 11th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #21
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
My initial testing will be indoors, as I'm looking for indoor practice wheels.

I've sold all of my Matter Lethal-X wheels, because they just don't work well for me. So, I even compete on Matter outdoor wheels (Code Whites).
I am interested in what you find out about these wheels indoors. I have been looking for a 125 for the same purpose.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 04:14 AM   #22
matguy

The Atom rep had a table at the Battle in Seattle and had some of each of their new 125's. I'll try to snap a picture tomorrow to post.
Old March 12th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #23
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

So, I had a chance to run some indoor laps on the Atom Boom Road wheels this morning. Here is my opinion. Remember, YMMV.

What I had heard about the roll is true. Both Matters (outdoor original profile One20Five and Code White) and Bont Red Magic roll better.

There was some grip on our two-month old coating, but as soon as I started pushing, they started breaking loose. They also took some getting used to, as the profile is rounder than any of the wheels I mentioned above.

The verdict, they'd probably make a good practice wheel for a freshly coated floor, if you wanted to work harder. But I'm going to stick to Matter wheels and transfer the Booms to outdoor duty to see how they do. I have heard that the Boom urethane works very well outdoors.

One other thing, as with a set of Roll'X X-Road 125mm wheels that I tried indoors, the Booms felt "buzzy", like I felt every spoke of the hub as it turned. Since there are no spokes in the Matter wheels, they feel much smoother and the aluminum hub of the Bonts probably dampened any possible buzzing.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #24
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
The Atom rep had a table at the Battle in Seattle and had some of each of their new 125's. I'll try to snap a picture tomorrow to post.
Here's what the Atom rep had on hand to show:

http://matguy.com/photos/20170312_110116.jpg
http://matguy.com/photos/20170312_110113.jpg
http://matguy.com/photos/20170312_110107.jpg
http://matguy.com/photos/20170312_110104.jpg
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #25
matguy

Quote:
So, I had a chance to run some indoor laps on the Atom Boom Road wheels this morning. Here is my opinion. Remember, YMMV.

One other thing, as with a set of Roll'X X-Road 125mm wheels that I tried indoors, the Booms felt "buzzy", like I felt every spoke of the hub as it turned. Since there are no spokes in the Matter wheels, they feel much smoother and the aluminum hub of the Bonts probably dampened any possible buzzing.
That's a common complaint with the Sub7's as well.
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #26
spdkls

I felt the same buzz on the PS Infinity 125's indoors as well. Out door they're great for training.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #27
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
That's a common complaint with the Sub7's as well.
Ya, they need to add some fiber to the plastic to give it some more strength. The rim between the spokes tends to flex when weight is applied to it and it flattens out. When you get to the next spoke, the rim is full diameter again. Basically it is like skating on a 12 sided wheel, lol!
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #28
reely?

How about the Boom Majic 125s, anyone tried them yet?

Thanks d

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #29
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reely? View Post
How about the Boom Majic 125s, anyone tried them yet?

Thanks d
at $30/ wheel. Nope.
Old March 16th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #30
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Well, since I wasn't having any luck with Matter's indoor wheels, I have been having good success with their outdoor wheels on indoor tracks. Not sure if it's my weight or my skating style, but I just don't feel as confident on the indoor wheels.

The most recent acquisition was a set of 125mm G13s. These wheels are probably the best 125mm wheels I have skated an indoor track on. The profile is more like the original One20Five outdoor wheels.
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #31
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

BTW, is anyone else really, REALLY tired of TLTF posting pictures of 125mm wheels on their Facebook page, saying "we're testing and they're coming soon"?

Don't get me wrong, I love their wheels. They were pretty much all I skated on when I was on 110/100.

But they did this before Roanoke in 2016 and NOTHING. This year, on Feb 1, they did the same thing and nearly 2 months later, NOTHING. Yesterday, they posted that they were testing at Spring Fling over the weekend. We'll see.

I realize that they need to get them right before selling them to the general public, but why hype people up over and over? I can honestly say that I'm not excited for the triple pour. It will make the wheels heavier than Matters (188gms) and possibly MPCs (205gms). I did like the prospect of the wheels they posted on Feb 1 (note each wheel has a different hub type):

And that the dual pour is lighter than the Matters:

I just wish that they'd stop teasing us.
Old March 28th, 2017, 10:03 AM   #32
Rojo

Mota 125 wheel test by Olympian French skater Pascal Briand:

https://youtu.be/RKzPjs-fnqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKzPjs-fnqk

By the way, did anybody try new versión 125 Bont wheels? The called Red Magic Hardcore 2.0. with perfect bearing seat. They are supposed to fit any 608 bearing. No microbearing with adapters needed.
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #33
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

By the way, did anybody try new versión 125 Bont wheels? The called Red Magic Hardcore 2.0. with perfect bearing seat. They are supposed to fit any 608 bearing. No microbearing with adapters needed.
At those wheel prices, I'll stick with my PS Infinity 125 for training outdoor, and my Lethal's for indoor. My team just got Atom's and I've yet to try them.

I wouldn't mind trying the Mota's. I still think that cut side is sketchy, even after what Pascal said.
Old March 28th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #34
NDSconcept

Quote:
BTW, is anyone else really, REALLY tired of TLTF posting pictures of 125mm wheels on their Facebook page, saying "we're testing and they're coming soon"?

Don't get me wrong, I love their wheels. They were pretty much all I skated on when I was on 110/100.

But they did this before Roanoke in 2016 and NOTHING. This year, on Feb 1, they did the same thing and nearly 2 months later, NOTHING. Yesterday, they posted that they were testing at Spring Fling over the weekend. We'll see.

I realize that they need to get them right before selling them to the general public, but why hype people up over and over? I can honestly say that I'm not excited for the triple pour. It will make the wheels heavier than Matters (188gms) and possibly MPCs (205gms). I did like the prospect of the wheels they posted on Feb 1 (note each wheel has a different hub type):

And that the dual pour is lighter than the Matters:

I just wish that they'd stop teasing us.

Hahaha ...
It is my personal opinion.
Curtis is a technician.
I think that Curtis are experimenting carefully.

Reason.
Suppose Curtis is in a state of confusion.
First of all, we will start with the sample we sent.
Sending photos samples, Curtis produced wheel samples.
Rotational force itself is different.
I think Curtis has confirmed directly. (Why? Because it produced directly.)

Secondly, we can see that Curtis experimented the weight effect.
They created a new record at 3,000 M as shown in the photograph.
It was not confirmed directly.
Using TLTF AL Wheel.

I believe that Curtis understands weight.
But I think he does not understand weight distribution.
Weight distribution is very important also in Inline.

Light wheels are not successful.
The wheel that Curtis tests is the below wheel.

He would like to experiment with functional differences between light wheels and heavy wheels.
However, the wheel in the photo above is only heavy.
why? Weight distribution increased in the central direction.
The reason why there are holes in the wheel is also a means to reduce weight.

125mm wheel on a 110mm hub ... hahaha ...

Currently Curtis seems to be having a lot of troubles.
Because Curtis is a technician.
I think that it is necessary to confirm the product.
I think Curtis will not let you wait intentionally.
However, Curtis can not find alternative technology.
Understand Curtis.
Old March 28th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #35
kufman

He used a 110 hub because it is the cheapest thing to do (no new mold required). It has nothing to do with heavy or light. Extra rotational mass for nothing other than the mass itself has no benefit. Currently the most successful wheels on the planet are also the lightest (Matter).
Old March 28th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #36
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

They didn't need the microbearing with adapters unless you needed them not to click and didn't want to get matching spacers. Once Bont put out the 10.05mm spacers (or you could get 10mm spacers from multiple sources before that) the clicking issue should have been reduced enough that it should have been un-noticeable, or eliminated all together. Also, a bit of grease or even oil on the bearing seat usually cleared up the clicking sound for most people.
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #37
NDSconcept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
He used a 110 hub because it is the cheapest thing to do (no new mold required). It has nothing to do with heavy or light. Extra rotational mass for nothing other than the mass itself has no benefit. Currently the most successful wheels on the planet are also the lightest (Matter).

Well ...
My writing is a personal opinion.

"Currently the most successful wheels on the planet are also the lightest (Matter)"
Both know that it is not necessarily so.
Money game.
The game is not over.

Please enjoy a song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wKzyIN1yk
Old March 29th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #38
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSconcept View Post
Well ...
"Currently the most successful wheels on the planet are also the lightest (Matter)"
Both know that it is not necessarily so.
Money game.
The game is not over.
Yes Matter is. If you take top ten in every division at every event. Matter has the most wheels in said top ten. Followed by MPC. Not an opinion. This is a fact. In most marathons. If the PS team shows up, it's usually a podium sweep in WC men and Ladies. Sometimes a Bont skater is up there, but not always.
Old March 29th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #39
gsloop

So, I'm going to have to buy new wheels fairly soon.

Looked at the Mota wheels - they claim it's around 88a. [but it's dual-band - so it's probably going to feel softer.] They're not super cheap, but comparatively pretty good.

Has anyone skated these outdoors?

---
It looks like my choices are, essentially. [Unless we're going to go big money...]
Mota
Atom Boom XFirm
Street fight XFirm
PS Infinity

Boom appears to be dual-band, SF and Infinity are single?

Black Magic is nearly double the cost of the Boom.
G13's, Bont RedM and the original One20Five's are even more.

Given all that, the Boom and Mota seem the most promising, while also not requiring me to donate a kidney to afford them. Has anyone skated these outdoor?

Anything I'm missing, or some recommendation for an outdoor 125mm wheel that's not super hard? [Perhaps I should say "more comfy" than "not super hard." ]
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #40
kufman

Quote:
Has anyone skated these outdoors?
This may be of some use.