S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 26th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #61
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
I think you might have the hubs confused. These are not the same hubs as the current Heartless wheels. Since I asked if anyone wanted to see the proto, there have been changes to the hub, but NOONE has this hub, and they were never sent to anyone. Trust me, when they are released, you wont need to worry about any, chunks, cracking, breaks, separating, etc.

QZLK

Lips: I was refering to the pictures you posted, as well as the other pictures I've seen.

Hubs: Wasn't trying to imply that they aren't quality, just curious.
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #62
Quadzilla

Default magic boots

i had beat my Meneghini's(Italian) not Pro-Cats (Spainish), up pretty good. So they guys at Riedell kept beating me down to get off of those boots and get on a pair of theirs. I tend to go with whatever is not the norm, or something that noone else has, thats why i was on them. (and the fact that i was helping coach Oly Rollers, who skate in roller-hockey boots) After years of being beat down by Riedell, i finally gave in. On one condition, my skates cant look like ANYONE elses, and that they wouldnt make another one without my ok. these minx are the result.
Quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #63
Quadzilla

[QUOTE=Gle8;270493]Why such a tiny lip?

I got the Hub samples in the mail (through the league) and they seem stiff enough, though a bit frail? Seems like they'd run a risk of shattering with all the wheel to wheel contact.

i was refering to the comment about getting a hub sample in the mail. there were never any of the hubs on this new wheel sent to anyone. There are lots of things to consider making wheels, and only half of them do the general public skaters know about. Ive been making wheels for a long time, and nothing gets overlooked, because its WAAAAAY too expensive if you dont get it right the firsrt time, hence "hand made prototypes".

QZLK
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #64
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

[QUOTE=Quadzilla;270516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
Why such a tiny lip?

I got the Hub samples in the mail (through the league) and they seem stiff enough, though a bit frail? Seems like they'd run a risk of shattering with all the wheel to wheel contact.

i was refering to the comment about getting a hub sample in the mail. there were never any of the hubs on this new wheel sent to anyone. There are lots of things to consider making wheels, and only half of them do the general public skaters know about. Ive been making wheels for a long time, and nothing gets overlooked, because its WAAAAAY too expensive if you dont get it right the firsrt time, hence "hand made prototypes".

QZLK

Yeah, I jumped in this thread late, but was aware the hub I got was one from the current set of wheels. Yet my question remains: why such a small lip in the pictures of the prototype?
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #65
RobPMI

Thumbs up

Quote:
After years of being beat down by Riedell, i finally gave in. On one condition, my skates cant look like ANYONE elses, and that they wouldnt make another one without my ok. these minx are the result.
Your skates remind me of a Harlequin Volkswagen in their unique color pattern.
RobPMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #66
Quadzilla

Default tiny lips

These protos are hand made and cut, the chamfers arent at the exact dimensions or angles, but sort of close. What you dont see is the engineering of the actual hub underneath, which allows for a slightly narrower lip. The lips arent as small as they seem. sorry for the bad pix. The wheels are of standard 44mm width, and designed dimensionally relative to comparable wheels in the industry, but there are a few "special" things about it that will separate them from eveything else youve ever skated. It took me a while to convince you all to trust the Answer/Atoms without aluminum hubs, when everyone said "they wont work", but now look. These wont be for everyone, but thats how I like it.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #67
bazzman

"These wont be for everyone, but thats how I like it"

so you choose (and like it) to cut out certain potential customers such as myself.....interesting.......the answer and matter plastic hubs didnt work for me...thats why i am hesitant about buying into the atom stroker plastic hub hype.....
bazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #68
MFND
Sweet Slice Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPMI View Post
Im pleased that you know what one of those is. There is one of those running around my neighborhood. Those boots are pretty rad.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #69
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFND View Post
Im pleased that you know what one of those is. There is one of those running around my neighborhood. Those boots are pretty rad.
Please, please, please, please, please, ask your neighbor to sell that thing to me!
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #70
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Im not sure if your all ready for these, but I'll show them to you anyway.
I want to make sweet, sweet love to your skate collection.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #71
Quadzilla

Default for bazz

Bazz,

Understand, that in business you cant and wont please everyone. The same reasons you or anyone else doesnt like a nylon/plastic/urethane hub, are they same reasons someone else does. Its not about trying to "cut out potential customers", but if all i did was worry about what i could to do to please everyone, id have to make a million different wheels, and someone would still have an issue. The things i make and have made, are based on my knowledge and experience, with input from other trusted skaters. Honestly, how many times have you purchased something strictly because everybody else DIDNT have it?

I like different, always have, always will. Nothing personal.
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #72
bazzman

Quote:
Bazz,

Understand, that in business you cant and wont please everyone. The same reasons you or anyone else doesnt like a nylon/plastic/urethane hub, are they same reasons someone else does. Its not about trying to "cut out potential customers", but if all i did was worry about what i could to do to please everyone, id have to make a million different wheels, and someone would still have an issue. The things i make and have made, are based on my knowledge and experience, with input from other trusted skaters. Honestly, how many times have you purchased something strictly because everybody else DIDNT have it?

I like different, always have, always will. Nothing personal.

HEH...if you want to be DIFFERENT make a GREAT speed wheel with an aluminum hub...something nobody seems to be able to get right nowadays!
bazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #73
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzman View Post
HEH...if you want to be DIFFERENT make a GREAT speed wheel with an aluminum hub...something nobody seems to be able to get right nowadays!
That was a GREAT comeback Tim!!

www.theultimateskatesupply.com
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #74
Bizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPMI View Post
Rob isnt there one of those here in town as well? I swear I remember seeing one at some point.

As far as the wheels I'll take 4 orange 4 blue. Rob I'm gonna need to trade you those laces you got tonight for the yellow ones LoL
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #75
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzman View Post

+1,000
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #76
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Removed..

Last edited by 8-Ball; April 1st, 2009 at 05:57 AM.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #77
Quadzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
That was said perfectly...

but.. is Heartless really considering itself a Speed wheel manufacturer?

I think there seems to be different thought processes on wheel manufacturing.. Jam....Speed.... Derby.... *we'll leave out the extreme and twirlly whirllies..*..

Correct me if I am wrong.. Heartless seems to be geared toward the Jam/Derby Markets.. with their engineering designs favoring mobility and grip.. ??

I think those of us looking for a speed wheel with heartless.. is like looking for a BMW at a KIA dealership… you just wont find it..

1. everyone has done an aluminum hub, NOT different.
2. one that works or is great is all relative.
3. the Heartless BRAND is strictly narrow derby wheels, although you can use them for various disciplines. The Heartless brand will never do a speed wheel.
4. The wheels the were posted are prototypes for a wide 'derby' wheel. The wheels can and will be used by speedskaters, but they are not specifically designed for speedskating.

Its funny to see people talk about how/what good wheels are and how theyre made, but they go out and buy wheels that are 15 years old, because they were good back in the day, or they get wheels from China, which are of the lowest quality uerthanes and poor quality control. There's noone out there that is a 'speed specific' manufacturer. Sorry guys, the late 80's and early 90's are gone, along with all of the reasons for companies spending R&D dollars on speed specific formulas and compounds. You can thank inlines for this. I hate to be the wet blanket, just giving it to you straight. Im all about making a good product, look at Answer/Atom. We could all go back and forth, but its pointless, because Im sure someone will take what I have said and totally misunderstand or misinterpret it, and that will spark another post bringing us back to square one. Im making wheels that are sport specific. I doing something different relative to whats out there now, im not trying to "re-invent the wheel" (no pun intended). I just wanted to share the wheels with skaters, not deconstruct everything that has ever been made or pick apart what is to come in the future. Some food for thought.
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #78
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Thumbs up I like the way "Quadzilla" thinks! Give the free thinkers some room!

I NEVER thought that I would find myself owning two sets of high dollar non aluminum hubbed speed wheels. But here I am looking at both of my skate setups wearing Atom Wide Strokers, and I can't think of another new production speed wheel I would rather roll! I weigh over 225 lbs, and skate pretty hard, my younger brother does as well and we have never regretted getting on the Wide Strokers! I will admit that I like the "Bling Factor" of aluminum hubbed wheels, but I get lots of comments on how "cool" my Strokers look. I have spent quite A bit of money on aluminum hubbed Black Ultimate Weapons, Fanjets, Wicked Lips, etc. only to take them off and bolt my Strokers back on because of the weight savings I gain with the Stroker. I applaude "free thinkers" and like the fact that Quadzilla is at least trying to do something "new and different" and I will be glad to try any of the new wide wheels that he has A hand in bringing to market. I am personally glad that at 46 years old I wasn't so stuck in the past that wouldn't give A new wheel with A non aluminum hub A fair chance to impress me. I would have missed out on what myself, and A lot of very experienced skaters think is one of the best wheels ever made WIDE STROKER! I just hope that the recent success Atom wheels has had will perhaps encourage more people with the proper skill set to reach down deep, and bring exciting new highend quad skate specific products to market, I'll sure buy them! FOUNDER, 2 LONG CREW!
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #79
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Quote:
1. everyone has done an aluminum hub, NOT different.
2. one that works or is great is all relative.
3. the Heartless BRAND is strictly narrow derby wheels, although you can use them for various disciplines. The Heartless brand will never do a speed wheel.
4. The wheels the were posted are prototypes for a wide 'derby' wheel. The wheels can and will be used by speedskaters, but they are not specifically designed for speedskating.

Its funny to see people talk about how/what good wheels are and how theyre made, but they go out and buy wheels that are 15 years old, because they were good back in the day, or they get wheels from China, which are of the lowest quality uerthanes and poor quality control. There's noone out there that is a 'speed specific' manufacturer. Sorry guys, the late 80's and early 90's are gone, along with all of the reasons for companies spending R&D dollars on speed specific formulas and compounds. You can thank inlines for this. I hate to be the wet blanket, just giving it to you straight. Im all about making a good product, look at Answer/Atom. We could all go back and forth, but its pointless, because Im sure someone will take what I have said and totally misunderstand or misinterpret it, and that will spark another post bringing us back to square one. Im making wheels that are sport specific. I doing something different relative to whats out there now, im not trying to "re-invent the wheel" (no pun intended). I just wanted to share the wheels with skaters, not deconstruct everything that has ever been made or pick apart what is to come in the future. Some food for thought.
Not exactly sure why I got quoted.. I was on the side of QZ.. trying to point out that I didnt think that heartless was TRYING to make a good speed wheel.

As for R/D being spent by companies.... I really hope that your wrong on that one...

why?

Cause the money invested by SOME companies. . doesn’t appear to be assisting them in the development of anything….
((Matter/Answer/Atom/?new name soon? appear to be the exception to that))

Those that are in love with wheels of the 80s and 90s.. do so for a reason. I am not sure when quads came into your life QZ.. but for most of us.. it was the late 70s, 80s and early 90s.. and without the products that were released back then.. current manufacturers would be starting back at square one with R/D. Give the grand dad wheels their props, they have earned it.

There is NOT one current manufactured wheel out there today.. that can touch the Wicked Lips, Shamans, Labeda's or Vangard wheels mass produced 20-30 years ago. And I think that is a sad realization... Those that speak to you about speed wheels.. do so out of the HOPE that since you can build a decent derby wheel.. that maybe you would consider taking that knowledge and bring something worth a **** for the quad speed skaters out there to use.

Im Just Sayin..

Last edited by 8-Ball; March 30th, 2009 at 05:26 AM.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #80
okie

Arrow You Got That Right 8- BAll

Not to much good stuff out here today for speed and grip at the same time on one wheel.
But we had it in the 90's. Lips,Shamans. They did it then,What happaned?

Biggest question mark is there still the same price for a new wheel today as the good stuff in the 90's.

They won't do it? It nuts! Why not? I ask many times,there is a huge market for aluminun hubbed quality wheel at $150 as set. They could sell all they could make.

They keep sending this stuff out to us with the promo's and HOPING it will be it. I test them to like new (kept under my bed in a plastic bag) Orginal Lips and Shaman's. Roll them out on the same plates and bearings as the new stuff. Only stuff close now is the 98.5 Strokers,and the Cannibal Italian Orange for speed and grip to the old stuff.

Now Mo knows when they started the Matter quads,they sent me numerous sets to compare to the old Quality Made stuff,"Rosie the Wrecker 666" just about destroyed all the early Matter stuff.(she also likes Burittos and eats hamburgers with raw onions while she session skates,more weight on the plate) Matter kept ungrading trying to get better,the sad part they kept selling the weak stuff as they were upgrading.

At least they have the urethane formula correct now.

This seems like a wheel manufacture trait. Just keep shipping till out of stock. Good or Bad?

It would be real nice MO if you did try to build and sell a first quality session speed wheel. I am sure you could do it and theres buyers out here. Remember if they work real good,we have more fun skating,so they will wear out and then we will buy more it they are the good stuff.

Okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote