S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default Important Notice: Do You Want To Be Moderated?

In the future forum visitors who continue insulting others, posting bitter angry tirades, "trolls" who are constantly stirring the pot to cause trouble and get a rise out of others, and forum visitors who generate the most complaints will be moved into an "all posts moderated" category.

If you get moved into the moderated category none of your posts will appear in the forum until we have a chance to read them and approve them (which may not happen right away). If you get moved into that category you might find yourself stuck there for a very long time, so please take this notice seriously. We will not be interested in engaging in a long drawn-out discussion about the fairness of our decision to moderate your posts.

Consider yourself warned.

- Kathie
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default Will there be a early warning system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
In the future forum visitors who continue insulting others, posting bitter angry tirades, "trolls" who are constantly stirring the pot to cause trouble and get a rise out of others, and forum visitors who generate the most complaints will be moved into an "all posts moderated" category.

If you get moved into the moderated category none of your posts will appear in the forum until we have a chance to read them and approve them (which may not happen right away). If you get moved into that category you might find yourself stuck there for a very long time, so please take this notice seriously. We will not be interested in engaging in a long drawn-out discussion about the fairness of our decision to moderate your posts.

Consider yourself warned.

- Kathie
This sounds like a one strike and you are out scheme, which seems rather draconian. Won't there be any prior communications to indicate to the offenders that they are on the verge of such action being taken against them? Does everyone really know whether or not some of their prior postings may have been considered to be in this category? If a person who NEVER had any problem posts, then just makes ONE SLIP UP, does this action automatically get triggered, or must there be a PATTERN of such postings first?

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
In the future forum visitors who continue insulting others, posting bitter angry tirades, "trolls" who are constantly stirring the pot to cause trouble and get a rise out of others, and forum visitors who generate the most complaints will be moved into an "all posts moderated" category.

If you get moved into the moderated category none of your posts will appear in the forum until we have a chance to read them and approve them (which may not happen right away). If you get moved into that category you might find yourself stuck there for a very long time, so please take this notice seriously. We will not be interested in engaging in a long drawn-out discussion about the fairness of our decision to moderate your posts.

Consider yourself warned.

- Kathie
Kathie,

Don't worry about these people who are always talking about the need for more and more moderators. I think you and Jessica do a wonderful job! There is no way to police every problem that everyone is ever going to have. That would be an impossible task. There are always going to be power hungry people who will want other people dismissed...for whatever reason.

What is your current formula for moderators per number of daily posts?
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:15 PM   #4
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default I don't get it!

Ok, since a thread I posted asking why another thread had been deleted, was deleted itself. I am assuming I seem to be one of the first to be placed on your "all post moderated"list.

I really do not know why. I have read far worse posts from people in here.

I wonder who else is on the list.

Even now reading some posts here on other threads. There are people having personal attacks on people suggesting they skate into a lake, etc etc.

You also need to understand the difference in humour between other countries.

The Aussie sense of humour and the American sense of humour seem to clash on here.

And just in case you didn't notice. I have been one of the few on here to offer up an unreserved apology for any misunderstandings that my posts may have caused. And the standard reply to that post was that all was cool. And that no offence was taken.

As many people have stated, we are all adults here, I think we can handle any problems ourselves.
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM   #5
online inline
Senior Member
 
online inline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: seattle, WA USA
Posts: 3,997
Default

thanks, Kathy, and other moderators. I support your decisions and hope this doesn't become too much of a drag on your time (or that of other moderators).

Keep it simple, throw the bums out if and when you need to.

Thanks for everything.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #6
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
Ok, since a thread I posted asking why another thread had been deleted, was deleted itself. I am assuming I seem to be one of the first to be placed on your "all post moderated"list.

I really do not know why. I have read far worse posts from people in here.

I wonder who else is on the list.

Even now reading some posts here on other threads. There are people having personal attacks on people suggesting they skate into a lake, etc etc.

You also need to understand the difference in humour between other countries.

The Aussie sense of humour and the American sense of humour seem to clash on here.

And just in case you didn't notice. I have been one of the few on here to offer up an unreserved apology for any misunderstandings that my posts may have caused. And the standard reply to that post was that all was cool. And that no offence was taken.

As many people have stated, we are all adults here, I think we can handle any problems ourselves.
+1 on all your points, especially Aussie v. American.

As someone regularly receiving a decent share of insults here, I would STILL never have suggested anyone posting them be considered for the SPECIAL MODERATING LIST.

While I agree that the standard of enforcement should be HIGHER for treatment of new members, SLF vets should just ignore any such posts directed toward them. Do we really want to get suffocated with political correctness enforcement?

Outright BULLYING may be different, but mere personal insults are easily ignored. Is there also going to be a SAFE ZONE for those extra thin-skinned members?

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #7
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default That's right dillo

Hey I do not agree with your ways.

But viva la difference.

I wonder if the person who suggested you skate into the lake will be put on the "naughty" list
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #8
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

Quote:
Won't there be any prior communications to indicate to the offenders that they are on the verge of such action being taken against them?
It won't be easy to get into the "moderated posts only" category but once you're in, it won't be easy to get out either. But yes, people will be warned to tone down their posts.

- Kathie
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #9
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
It won't be easy to get into the "moderated posts only" category but once you're in, it won't be easy to get out either. But yes, people will be warned to tone down their posts.

- Kathie
So when is this category supposed to start.

And if it hasn't started yet. Why have threads been deleted?
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

I personally deleted the squats thread after a group of individuals decided to stir things up YET AGAIN after being warned, and after we had already spent way too much of our time deleting their earlier posts.

We have rarely - almost never - deleted or even locked entire threads in this forum, but this one was ridiculously out of control. True, there was a little good information in the discussion, but it was completely buried under a pile of insults, braggart behavior, and trolls stirring things up. We were being flooded with complaints. I felt completely comfortable deleting that discussion.

- Kathie
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

<< mere personal insults are easily ignored >>

Insults may not bother you and a handful of others in our forum, but the average person does not appreciate being insulted. People take it personally, especially in a public forum.

<< You also need to understand the difference in humour between other countries. >>

So true - very good point!

- Kathie
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

Hey people, don't be dragging the squat discussion into this one. I will only say this: We received just as many complaints about arrogant braggarts and troll-like behavior in that discussion as we did about people directly insulting each other. Believe me, the majority of our forum visitors were quite happy to see that discussion just go away.

- Kathie
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #13
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

A couple of people asked privately what behavior is considered "braggart" behavior. Here is the best response I can think of: Even true experts need to learn that shoving their superiority down other people's throats, and insulting those people in the process, will not give them the respect they deserve.

But note that simply sharing your experience and credentials is NOT braggart behavior. We love to learn about each other's background and experience!

Braggart behavior would be arrogantly proclaiming your vast superiority and insulting everyone who questions anything you say.

- Kathie
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #14
Malcom
Senior Member
 
Malcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
A couple of people asked privately what behavior is considered "braggart" behavior. Here is the best response I can think of: Even true experts need to learn that shoving their superiority down other people's throats, and insulting those people in the process, will not give them the respect they deserve.

But note that simply sharing your experience and credentials is NOT braggart behavior. We love to learn about each other's background and experience!

Braggart behavior would be arrogantly proclaiming your vast superiority and insulting everyone who questions anything you say.

- Kathie
Interesting.

Maybe you want to chime in on this thread....

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=27547

Or is it reserved only for us that skate on inferior quads?
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #15
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

Noted Malcolm, but in the future, if you want to report a problem post, discussion, or forum visitor, send a message to skatelogadmin@gmail.com. We address individual problems privately.

- Kathie
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #16
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default Ummm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Hey people, don't be dragging the squat discussion into this one. I will only say this: We received just as many complaints about arrogant braggarts and troll-like behavior in that discussion as we did about people directly insulting each other. Believe me, the majority of our forum visitors were quite happy to see that discussion just go away.

- Kathie
No one mentioned the squat thread by name here except you.
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Reserector
ameteur debunker
 
Reserector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Laurel, MS
Posts: 1,716
Default

Does the "report post" icon work? I typically use that function to report a problem, but I don't want to create a false alarm.

FWIW you do a fine job. As a site owner myself, I realize that you have your hands full. All things considered, it is well managed. I am especially impressed by how little foul language there is.
Keep up the good work. Skatelog is the best roller skating site available. Period.
__________________
http://southernskater.com
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #18
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

Quote:
No one mentioned the squat thread by name here except you.
cojaco61, I can understand why you think that's true. I deleted several flurries of posts, evidently before you saw them.

- K
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #19
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

Look everybody, you can either work with us or keep fighting us.
Your decision.

- K
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #20
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

Quote:
Does the "report post" icon work?
Yes, it does work, and many of our forum visitors are using it to report problems.

When you report a problem, be sure to tell us exactly what you found offensive or objectionable. Sometimes when people report posts or threads we're not certain what they found offensive (sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes not.)

And please... only report problems you personally feel are serious enough to require our intervention. This forum has always been pretty good about moderating itself. We only get involved when we obviously need to.

- Kathie
__________________
http://www.kathiefry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkateLog/398578533776
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-Guides-International/289239062265
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.