S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the ebay forum deleted?
Yes 31 29.52%
No 74 70.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #1
rsfaze
Old School™

Default Should we get rid of the ebay forum?

Title pretty much says it all, do you favor it or would you rather see it gone?
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #2
bpike503
Retro Sk8r

Yes.....seems like it only causes problems.
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Just FYI, the "eBay Finds" forum was created by popular demand, to keep zillions of "eBay finds" from filling up our quad skating and other forums... which they were starting to do.

What do you favor doing rsfaze, and what are your reasons?

To those who want to eliminate the eBay Finds Subforum... do you also want us to disallow people posting eBay finds *anywhere* in the SkateLog Forum?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Randy Edwards

I guess the real question is what can Ebay do for Skatelog?

if nothing then I would no longer endorse it via the special forum

Everyone here knows about Ebay but how many Ebayers that skates Knows about SKATELOG ?
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #5
ThommyBoy
Quad Speed since 1981

Default Love it, Please Keep it!

I vote to keep it, and my reasons are as follows:

1. It feeds my S.E.D.S.
2. It allows me to enable my fellow loggers S.E.D.S.
3. It puts the great finds into our community thus allowing us first dibs once the former logger comes down from the "hit".
4. It regularly has Craigslist stuff too which is a help to all loggers hunting for gold.
5. It is fun to see the reactions to listing by fellow loggers to some of the ridiculous claims etc.
6. It shows the market as to what people actually pay for skates outside Skatelogger
7. It keeps a basic record of what it sold for on eBay when the resale price on the forum is marked up.

The only issue I have ever seen in that sub-forum is "back-dooring" an auction.

People will backdoor a legitimate auction and "rob" those who played by the rules with or without the forum section, so I for one would not get rid of the section because some use it this way.

Cheers, THOM
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #6
rsfaze
Old School™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Just FYI, the "eBay Finds" forum was created by popular demand, to keep zillions of "eBay finds" from filling up our quad skating and other forums... which they were starting to do.

What do you favor doing rsfaze, and what are your reasons?

To those who want to eliminate the eBay Finds Subforum... do you also want us to disallow people posting eBay finds *anywhere* in the SkateLog Forum?

- Kathie
I knew I was missing something Kathie.

I remember you blessing us with the ebay finds forum because of the clutter and at first it seemed like a great idea.

my purposeful is this...take away the ebay forum and block/disallow all posting of links to ebay/craiglist and all other auction style sites selling skate gear.

leave the for sale section setup as is, it's working well and keeping down on old post. We have a Wanted to Buy section, so members can post things they are after. If another member while browsing wants to share an auction or for sale item not posted on this site, they could make use of the Private Message feature built into the board.

My reasons for this Kathie and community is I feel in the end the ebay forums brings more negative feelings and intentions out of people here. I can recall auctions on ebay being pushed up only to see who had the deepest pockets.

I won't begin to act like I understand why people do the things they do.
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #7
rsfaze
Old School™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThommyBoy View Post
The only issue I have ever seen in that sub-forum is "back-dooring" an auction.

People will backdoor a legitimate auction and "rob" those who played by the rules with or without the forum section, so I for one would not get rid of the section because some use it this way.

Cheers, THOM
While I agree people will back door or make an offer either way, having this forum only helps those people. I for one am not looking for someone with deeper pockets to gain from the time I spent navigating websites, to buy something and split it up here for profit.

If they are going to buy up skate gear then resell it here for profit, at least make them work for it.
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

I don't think it should be deleted. I think it adds value.

Not all of the items sold on eBay are posted here on Skatelog and also not everyone who sells products on eBay has a Skatelog account. It gives a broader range of products for the Skatelog community and beyond. Even Skatelog members sell their products on eBay. I have seen numerous items sold on eBay by Skatelog members that offer free shipping to Skatelog members so it has even helped me from that perspective.

eBay also provides Skatelog members with insight into the so-called "industry standard" as to quality and prices associated with some of the same products sold here on Skatelog. And when the Skatelog members comment on the products that are sold on eBay it even adds more value to the products themselves, their history of quality control and price history. I had no idea that LPS was gouging the price of the original green shamans, for example, until I began to read the reviews on Skatelog and only after the discussions began here on Skatelog did the price on eBay begin to drop. It was even rsfaze who first yelled that the original green shamans were being shill-bidded on eBay.

"Back-dooring" items for sale on eBay is a people problem...not an eBay problem. I say the eBay forum on Skatelog contributes more value than it is detrimental.

I say keep it...if I am allowed to vote.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #9
starspike
put it on my loud account

delete it..

search for crap your selves if you want it.. lazy people
[retired] your mom mens derby #314
starspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #10
MFND
Sweet Slice Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by starspike View Post
delete it..

search for crap your selves if you want it.. lazy people
Nice. Do your own homework. Keep the F/S section for the folks here to buy, sell, and trade.
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #11
Armadillo

Well, I have ended up getting some very weird skate stuff ONLY because some SLF member posted about it => 3-wheel skates, skates with removable no-turning wheels, etc.
Since these had little appeal the price wars and other issues never happened, but I benefited greatly by these posts.
I would not like to see this section shut down.

-Armadillo
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #12
Phil in Midwest

Default I agree with ThommyBoy

+1 Keep it.
If you delete the section, there will probably be posts littering the forum complaining about how they got back doored on ebay anyway. At least with the ebay find section we all can see what conspired.
I find the section interesting.
Phil in Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #13
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Please keep it.
I often wish Ebay had comments enabled on for sale posts.... If for no other reason than people who know more about the equipment could correct inaccuracies for those of us that lack knowledge in that area.
This forum is also a great source for little known information on products. for example ......I would have had NO idea that Fafnir stopped making 8 ball bearings and went to 7 balls......stuff like this is really handy.
One post actually pointed something wrong with a skate that I missed and I almost bought them and would have seriously regretted it.
and of course I've had shipping thrown in free for being a skatelogger...

I fail to see ANY problems that this section actually CREATES.
Maybe it drives the prices up slightly on highly sought after things but it also can be informative and serve as an ebay watchdog of sorts (like the whole thing with the shamans a bit back)

Me I hit ebay everyday or 2 looking for good stuff.....BUT I also hit this section to see what my fellow skateloggers think about what I was looking at and what THEY look for.

Last edited by Banzai; June 15th, 2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: ranting
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #14
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

While I do not search for skate gear on ebay anymore I do browse through some of the links posted there. Will I ever bid......no, because if it's worth buying it's either backdoored or the price is run up by either other people or forum members. If someone wants something they will do whatever they can to get it and this section allows certain member to get items whether they do it by ebay rules or not. Leaving it will give forum members a slim chance of getting something they have been looking for even though the price maybe steep or they can backdoor them like the others. Forum members also post items on ebay and this section allows other forum members to see the items as well, while I wish they would be offered for sale to forum members first before posting to ebay to help the fellow members. I'm on the fence here and I agree with Edward and Thommy Boy about reading the comments made and seeing current market value of skate gear. Starspike said it best if someone is too lazy to do their own search the ebay section helps them out.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

Irregardless of the redeeming social values of this web site...

"It's all about the money honey"

Keep the ebay forum.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #16
Iggy
DGS Racing

Don't delete the eBay forum. Yes I agree that it does stir up some animosity between a few members sometimes, but so does every other forum on here. So if you want to delete a forum to get rid of the fights and arguments, well you might as well get rid of the entire SLF all together.

And not everyone that trolls the eBay forum is necessarily looking to buy/sell/backdoor stuff. I know I look at it a lot just to see the stuff with no intention of buying. And like was mentioned previously, it gives a good record of the current market prices. It helps keep loggers selling stuff on here honest. And it also helps provide useful information on the items being sold. Information that some loggers might not know and would make the difference between making a good buy and a bad purchase.

Definitely keep the eBay Forum.
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #17
rsfaze
Old School™

Default I kind of feel bad for making this post...

as I feel I stand alone when reading the complaints about back-doored auctions, and people another skate setup just because they are fortunate enough to have credit cards with low balances,and or a hefty bank account.

I must of been imagine the complaining threads I've seen about ebay finds.. good luck and happy skating.
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #18
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfaze View Post
as I feel I stand alone when reading the complaints about back-doored auctions, and people another skate setup just because they are fortunate enough to have credit cards with low balances,and or a hefty bank account.

I must of been imagine the complaining threads I've seen about ebay finds.. good luck and happy skating.
Don't feel bad Rob, just remember "don't hate the playa hate the game". Just ignore ebay like me and just browse what people post in the ebay forum. Everytime I see something nice on there I make a guess how long it will last. If someone on here gets it at a good price well I'm happy for them.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #19
rsfaze
Old School™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanJet8 View Post
Don't feel bad Rob, just remember "don't hate the playa hate the game". Just ignore ebay like me and just browse what people post in the ebay forum. Everytime I see something nice on there I make a guess how long it will last. If someone on here gets it at a good price well I'm happy for them.
so very true, everything I have now is from great forum members here and not **** so I should feel blessed.

I'm still rocking my 911's I got off Bethany many years ago, although they have been through a complete transformation by Billie, then I got these awesome 165 Giotto's that couldn't be more perfect from some guy that calls himself FanJet8 and then my fafnirs who know's which great member I got this set from, and my great dyed blue Anabolix tires with shiny metal hubs I bought off Chumley many years ago for this very day.

I <3 skate log and feel for the members that are bidding on something to only have it posted here and things go sideways

I know Iggy skatelog is not the world of skating, and sometimes we may bloat our ego and feel we are, but we certainly don't help when you have SEDS heads with pockets as deep as the BP oil spill to own 8 setups, when others members are still working on setup number 1.

good day
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfaze View Post
so very true, everything I have now is from great forum members here and not **** so I should feel blessed.

I'm still rocking my 911's I got off Bethany many years ago, although they have been through a complete transformation by Billie, then I got these awesome 165 Giotto's that couldn't be more perfect from some guy that calls himself FanJet8 and then my fafnirs who know's which great member I got this set from, and my great dyed blue Anabolix tires with shiny metal hubs I bought off Chumley many years ago for this very day.

I <3 skate log and feel for the members that are bidding on something to only have it posted here and things go sideways

I know Iggy skatelog is not the world of skating, and sometimes we may bloat our ego and feel we are, but we certainly don't help when you have SEDS heads with pockets as deep as the BP oil spill to own 8 setups, when others members are still working on setup number 1.

good day
Yeah but...forum members sell things only to each other all the time...and loan things only to each other all the time...and have only each other on their test teams all the time. Isn't that kinda like "back-dooring"?

How much money somebody has shouldn't make any difference. I've passed up many items on Skatelog and eBay. I only have one pair of skates. Been working on building a second pair for over 6 months now and still have only some Hyde boots and proline plates that are too long. But do I have money to buy other items? Sure. And I will but not right now.

I'm not sure what prompted your post but it is good to see where people stand on the issue. I'm glad you posted it.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote