S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old September 6th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Eliminate Buying and Selling? Or New Policies?

Quote:
Now there are a few members who have combed every yard sale and flea market to find skating junk to sell on here
Why is that a problem? If someone wants to buy a particular product, does it matter how the seller got it? Who do you think we *should* allow to advertise in our buying and selling forums, if not skate shops and skate buyers with products to sell?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Why is that a problem? If someone wants to buy a particular product, does it matter how the seller got it? Who do you think we *should* allow to advertise in our buying and selling forums, if not skate shops and skate buyers with products to sell?

- Kathie
Kathie, I think this one goes back go my point about these posts being bumped continuously and therefore popping up like advertisements.
And Rebel makes a good point, a lot of these items are yard sale rubbish!
Skatelog members generally are looking for high end gear, not garbage that we can all find at a flea market or yard sale.
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #3
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
Kathie, I think this one goes back go my point about these posts being bumped continuously and therefore popping up like advertisements.
And Rebel makes a good point, a lot of these items are yard sale rubbish!
Skatelog members generally are looking for high end gear, not garbage that we can all find at a flea market or yard sale.
That is all opinion. In most responses made, if they arn't Aussie Scotts, they are yard sale garbage.

Many people are looking for inexpensive, or for others (children/friends/family).

I was able to buy some cheap wheels, boots and such for my son's 1st and 2nd skates because people posted what you would consider flea market garbage. For my son learning to skate, thats all he needs.
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
my point about these posts being bumped continuously and therefore popping up like advertisements.
I would love to find a way in vBulletin to prevent posts in a particular forum from being bumped or marked as "new" for any reason whatsoever. I'll dig through the vBulletin documentation...

Quote:
Rebel makes a good point, a lot of these items are yard sale rubbish!
I don't agree with this... If it's skates, wheels, frames, plates, or skating accessories somebody might want to buy it. We're not going to prevent our forum visitors from buying and selling low-end skating products.

- Kathie
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #5
The Rebel
Taking it back old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post

- Kathie
I think you missed the point of my concern. I was referring to the individuals who use this forum to constantly list anything and everything they find in the for sale forums regardless of value in order to make a buck. To me they are abusing the privilege for personal gain.

My suggestion was to have a subforum for actual retail suppliers of skate equipment. People like Gle8, Skategeek78, and others who do business outside this forum. Somewhere for them to spotlight their businesses.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #6
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
I think you missed the point of my concern. I was referring to the individuals who use this forum to constantly list anything and everything they find in the for sale forums regardless of value in order to make a buck. To me they are abusing the privilege for personal gain.

My suggestion was to have a subforum for actual retail suppliers of skate equipment. People like Gle8, Skategeek78, and others who do business outside this forum. Somewhere for them to spotlight their businesses.
I am one of those people who list everything I find if i dont need it, and many times its a loss to myself because i'd rather find someone to use the item than throw it away. Who is to say that I'm trying to abuse a system or if I'm just trying to make sure stuff doesnt end up in the garbage heap. (If a boot doesnt fit me, i dont keep it).

And there was a post Kathie did a while back but I cant seem to find it, about how these forums were not supposed to be for businesses to use to sale things through to avoid paying for their own websites.

But then it becomes a popularity contest with businesses. I've seen stuff post from those you listed and they normally get great feed back. But there was one thread (i'll have to find it for you if you need) where a business posted up something about new products coming soon, people immediately started harassing them about how they dont need to come here to advertise their business.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #7
The Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
I am one of those people who list everything I find if i dont need it, and many times its a loss to myself because i'd rather find someone to use the item than throw it away.

If you sell for those reasons then I see no issue, but (and there is always a but) prove to me that there aren't people selling stuff on here for the sole purpose of turning a profit. People who buy stuff cheap off Ebay and CL and then break it down to sell separately for personal gain. I guarentee you can't.

But then it becomes a popularity contest with businesses. I've seen stuff post from those you listed and they normally get great feed back. But there was one thread (i'll have to find it for you if you need) where a business posted up something about new products coming soon, people immediately started harassing them about how they dont need to come here to advertise their business.
If you reread my original post, my suggestion would be to have only the suppliers allowed to post in their threads. Too many new members get on here and ask, "hey, where can I buy this or that?" only to end up with forty different answers. And that usually ends up with one person saying 'hey, buy it here" and next saying, "nah, don't buy from them, buy it here". With a suppliers forum, people can make their own decisions.

Quote:

One thing I think would be a good additon would be a "Suppliers" subforum. Let the guys out there who put the time and effort into starting their own skating equipment business use it to advertise their websites and sales. The mods would decide which suppliers to include and I would suggest that only the supplier gets to post in their respected threads. Save on the chit chat.
I'm not trying to start another long winded debate. Just throwing out a few reasons I only ghost this forum these days. Take it as you will. I mean no ill will.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
individuals who use this forum to constantly list anything and everything they find in the for sale forums regardless of value in order to make a buck.
I guess I'm still missing why this is a problem. The only reason we set up the buying and selling forums was give our forum members a place to sell products, whether it's to make buck or for any other reason. As long as the anything and everything is related to skating, why not? Who gets to decide what products are "worthy" of being sold in our elite marketplace?

The only problem I see here is that buyer's posts keep getting marked and re-marked as "new" for various reasons so our forum visitors looking for new posts feel like they are being spammed (if that's what's happening that is definitely a problem)

If we can figure out how to prevent all posts in the buying and selling forums from being marked as "new" we will do that. Not sure we can, but we will try to find a way. An alternative would be to disallow updates and replies in the "for sale" threads as a policy, or at least certain types of updates, and ask that all replies be sent by PM (private message).

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; September 6th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Buying and Selling Forums

Suggest for the SkateLog buying and selling forums that was extracted from another post:

Quote:
Another thing that turned me off, was the influx of hawkers and peddlers who jumped on the recent resurgance of 8 wheeled skating to start using the forum to turn a buck. Use to be, you could peruse the "for sale" forums and never see the same person selling more than one thing at a time. Now there are a few members who have combed every yard sale and flea market to find skating junk to sell on here. It's a free market and all but come on, time to cut these bloodsuckers loose. Quit trying to make a living off a set of 1972 Chicago boat anchors.

Below are a few suggestions to maybe slow the roll of the naysayers and tree shakers.

One thing I think would be a good additon would be a "Suppliers" subforum. Let the guys out there who put the time and effort into starting their own skating equipment business use it to advertise their websites and sales. The mods would decide which suppliers to include and I would suggest that only the supplier gets to post in their respected threads. Save on the chit chat.

Another suggestion would be a "Review" subforum. Let the members who actually use the equipment and suppliers voice their opinions and give honest reviews. Hard to argue with someone who's out there skating on the stuff. You can allow positive and negative reviews to pacify both sides.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
If you reread my original post, my suggestion would be to have only the suppliers allowed to post in their threads. Too many new members get on here and ask, "hey, where can I buy this or that?" only to end up with forty different answers. And that usually ends up with one person saying 'hey, buy it here" and next saying, "nah, don't buy from them, buy it here". With a suppliers forum, people can make their own decisions.
Not trying to start an arguement but find me one post where someone on this forum has said Dont buy from this person, buy from this person. Yes, 40 people will post saying you can buy something from here, but it shows that people dont have 1 supplier for everything, you can buy from anyone.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #11
!BEN_HER
VENTURA REXXXING SOCIETAS

Exclamation Can provide screenshots

Of three current, and four passed members saying exactly that, verbatim..
However they will have there identities revealed, thus should be, there privileges revoked..
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #12
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by !BEN_HER View Post
Of three current, and four passed members saying exactly that, verbatim..
However they will have there identities revealed, thus should be, there privileges revoked..
saying what? And priviledges revoked?
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Should we eliminate our buying and selling forums? Here are some thoughts...

The majority of the problems and arguments in the SkateLog Forum are caused by forum members who are also buyers and sellers of skates.

That fact, and the fact that our forum visitors are starting to feel spammed by all of the buying and selling posts marked "new", make us again think about eliminating our buying and selling forums

I know we would lose some forum members if we did that, but if those members only value our forum as a place to sell skates, there are plenty of other Web Sites on the Internet where they can do that.

Here are the most obvious two:

- eBay
- Craig's List

Where else can people buy and sell skates online?

Any thoughts about keeping or eliminating our buying and selling forums?

- Kathie
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #14
The Rebel

Default Ditch'em

I say you eliminate them and the EBay/ CL for sale section as well.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #15
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

I would hate to see the those forums to go away.

If you have different rules that applied to each person's issues, such as limiting how often someone can say *Still available* as a response, and requiring certain things like describe what you're actually selling and list what it is you are actually selling... and to appease the masses, a mod just for that part of the thread.

Besides, 1/2 the issues people have would be covered if they just ignored the seller they seem to have issues with.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #16
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

I'd also like to add (once my plate comes in) that I probably wouldnt have any of the skate gear i own if it wasnt for those buy/sale threads.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #17
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

just make a buyers and sellers forum. and make it OPT IN, and buff up the rules

-allow a subcategory for buyer and seller reviews within the opt in area
-by opting in, you agree to the terms and conditions..bla bla...skatelog and its owners/providers/ etc etc are not responsible for xxx ..or xxxx
-failure to adhere to the rules means you are bounced from the forum..and basically it wouldnt even appear on your searches/forum view/anything. it would be invisible to those not opted in. all you do is have a small subheading with a link about opting in. if you arent a buyer or seller, dont opt in. enjoy skatelog for its wealth of exp and knowledge.

tbh. ebay is a massive ripoff for any seller at this point. i stopped using it years ago as it basically allows for too much buyer protection and almost zero seller protection.

craigslist has no recourse other than police.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Dec8rSk8r

I would kind of hate to see them go too.

I'm just throwing this out there as a possible way to cut back on the "professional used skate retailers", but still keep the forums for the skaters - maybe limit sales threads to one single item a month per user, and have a rule of no comments on sales threads and that all questions to the saler needs to be done via pm.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #19
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Just as am example, not to pick on him and I apologize if it comes across that way, but the types of sales that BEN_HUR posted is why people need to respond. Not for derogatory responses, but because some people dont know what to put up in there. Asking for item specifics that many people here know to ask for help those less educated.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #20
the california kid

Default Buying.....Selling......Trading

I am guilty of all these......take me out and shoot me.
Members here do all three for different reasons.....some to get rid of things they do not use..........others to get by......
For me to get by........Many Know I have been sick for a while.....and I cannot work as much as I wish I can.....so I started selling on ebay what ever I had.....then I started selling mainly skate stuff there......and I started posting much of it here.....{at a lower price} Ebay is a rip off. And many here that sell things in the for sale section are trying to get by......People that have jobs and money coming in......have no idea how it is for those that do not......
And I can get deeper into this but why......for the few that have a problem with this only see what they want to see...

For buying I buy from most of the forum members.....for all kinds of reasons....some just to resell, and make some profit.....some just for my self......other times to help another forum member needing some money....its more than just profit with me.....I sell some things and donate the money to others....some things I give a way....and some end up collecting dust......I spend a lot of money here....and I also give back a lot as well.

For selling Yes I sell things here.....and ebay.....I need the extra income....If I did not I would be out on the streets.
I guess I can try to get help from the government.....And I have tried.....Not that easy.......So I sell things.....and when they do not sell I drop the price......add more to the item {Bearing, Toe Stops} and even do updates....oh and answer questions to move to todays post...especially when I need money to pay bills or eat....Im Bad. And when a member wants to post a question that's fine with me....we should answer it so others do not need to ask. Out of sight out of mind......For me I never really go pass the "Todays Post" thread of the forum....to the sub forums unless I see a thread or post that interest me......If I do not I skip over it......Oh yes you do not have to read every new thread or post.....just skip over it. Is that so hard. I do sometimes post items all under one for sale thread......sometimes NOT. I like the for sale threads I find a lot of cool things there.......

For trading I do that all the time........I cannot say much there.
For and from all these things its more than the deal....You meet some great people.....some not so. You start great friendships.....you learn more about who a person really is when you do some business with them.....who you can trust and who you cannot.......
So a few of you have a problem with it......I understand that.....skip over it move on......I have no problems with those that wish to buy....sell....or trade here as long as the do honestly.....follow through......keep me informed....
That's how I role and all I want is the same.......
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote