S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 28th, 2017, 04:42 AM   #1
jcardin

Default One piece axles - aluminum only?

That is my question. Are all speed skate one-piece axles made out of aluminum or are steel axles available also?

Seems odd to have skate axles in aluminum to begin with. Has anyone experienced problems with their use?
jcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #2
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardin View Post
That is my question. Are all speed skate one-piece axles made out of aluminum or are steel axles available also?

Seems odd to have skate axles in aluminum to begin with. Has anyone experienced problems with their use?
When Inlines first came out, some axles were 2 piece or even 3. Aluminum threaded sleeve and steel screws.

They are aluminum due to weight and cost to make.

Only problems I've ever encountered were from over-tightening of the axles.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #3
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Steel corrodes more than aluminum. if a axel strips out (threads or head), aluminum is easier to drill out of the frame, without doing damage.

steel could also corrode and bond to the aluminum.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #4
jcardin

Stainless steel should help with corrosion issues so the biggest problems would then be extra weight and possibly more risk of scratching the frames from their use.
jcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #5
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

Quote:
Stainless steel should help with corrosion issues so the biggest problems would then be extra weight and possibly more risk of scratching the frames from their use.
I think the bigger issue is galvanic corrosion on the threads basically welding them together, not the steel itself rusting. Happens on axles of different alloy that the frames sometimes already, or say aluminum axles into a mag frame, etc. And yeah, if you screw a steel axle up you'd have a hard time removing it without damage otherwise. I'd also much rather screw up the axle than the frame itself if it came down to it (though, I've never seen anyone do either?)

To the question at hand, though, I just don't think there's any need for anything stronger. I've done some silly, arguably abusive things on my skates and haven't ever tweaked one.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #6
kentek

Default Aluminum

You want your axles to be of a material that is softer than your frames. If you had steel axles, for example, you would easily strip out the threads on the frame.

I don't know how much attention the new frame makers are paying attention to the frame/axle hardness differential but it is important.

But, if I were an axle manufacturer I guess I would make frames and axles of the same material. :-)
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #7
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentek View Post
You want your axles to be of a material that is softer than your frames. If you had steel axles, for example, you would easily strip out the threads on the frame.

I don't know how much attention the new frame makers are paying attention to the frame/axle hardness differential but it is important.

But, if I were an axle manufacturer I guess I would make frames and axles of the same material. :-)
Bingo!! Having axles that are harder than the frame is of no use. The maximum strength of the system (axle+bearings+spacer+frame) is pretty much limited by the threads in the frame. The extra strength you gain by going to steel isn't worth the weight and defiantly not worth stripping out a frame. I would rather buy a new $5 axle than a $300 frame!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 12:24 AM   #8
cass38a

If it aint broke don't fix it...........axles last for years if you don't gorilla fist them when changing your wheels and use the correct sized allen key.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #9
matguy

And it's different from Quad axles where the force tries to bend the axle since it's only attached at once side. Inline axles are supported at both sides (other than the funky one-sided frames), so the force transmitted through the bearings is applied immediately after the support from the frame. There's really no room for the axle to bend between the bearing and the frame, the worse that could happen would be a shearing effect, but I would imagine your wheels would collapse before you could transfer that amount of force to the bearings.

I've never seen a bent inline axle from a normal frame other than situations where the frame itself bent as well. And a stronger axle might have meant the axle didn't bend, but the frame would still have been toast.
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #10
Vadim

Quote:

Once I was cruising at approx. 25 km/h in the night and didn't noticed a 15 cm barrier. Hit it with both front wheels. The feeling of head-forvard-flight and landing was unforgettable.
And you know what? Bont 6061 Alu frames and axels (AFAIR they do them from stronger 70xx alloy) didn't even notice. No markings, even no scratches.
Heat treated alu alloys are sturdy.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:24 PM   #11
kentek

Default This just in...

As I mentioned in earlier post, you want your axle metal softer than your frame metal.
Case in point- I have a brand new set of Pilot frames that came with my Luigino skates.
I needed to tweak the position. Two of the axles striped the threads on extraction. (I know there was no issue when I assembled skates) So, both the axle and the frame threads are damaged.

I contacted Josh at Atom Skates to tell of my plight. Josh was great and asked for size etc. He immediately sent me a new frame along with 2 new axles.

I tested all the axle fittings on new frame. AOK.

Thanks Josh!
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote