S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:50 AM   #21
Skate Key
Matt

Default Venice Beach to Santa Monica. Thanks for Déjà vu

Kathie,
Venice Beach to Santa Monica. Thanks for Déjà vu. When I worked at "The Skate Ranch" in Santa Ana, Ca. 2 other quad skaters and myself decided to leave the rink and make the beach our mission. The pics you posted really just sent me down memory lane. Thanks for everything you do for this forum. I remember after the trail/beach, we headed into Santa Monica and Downtown L.A.. After about 6 hours of sidewalks and street time, we took a cab back to our car. Rink Skating is fun, but trying not to fall while skating down a sidewalk in quads seems to be REALLY memorable. That was in 1989, I think I would stay on just the bike trail these days.
Skate Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #22
pgick

Venice is all everyone stated. It is not a place to skate fast but slow. I go with my wife and kid on rec skates not my speed skates. To many people who are looking around without a care, as they should perhaps, and way to much sand on the smooth sidewalk!
If you go on a weekend stop by the new skate park in Venice. WoW what young invincible kids can do. I was watching a 8 yr old girl fly around the park and jump all that the teenagers would but she was so small she was far faster and so confident. The locals say she is there almost every weekend. Absoluting Amazing to watch!

P.S. Thanks for the pictures and story Kathy.
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:55 PM   #23
shesk8

Great Pics Kathy! You're right in that Venice Beach never seems to change...5 yr's 10 yrs, etc... every time I go back it's the same funkadelic place. 10 yrs ago I did a rolling video along the baordwalk, encountering some fun & strange stuff...good times!

[this is pic on the beach from back then]

shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #24
Rel8ing2Sk8ing

Talking Re: Skating at Venice Beach

Venice Beach has always been one of my favorite places on Earch to skate, or to bike-ride, or to just be. Mild weather, good pavement, long trails, and a smooth dance circle, just to name a few. Lots of other entertaining distractions along the way just add to the fun. The new, state-of-the-art skateboard park (across the bike-path from the dance circle, near Windward Plaza), is a must-see. And a ton of funky little clothing and accessory shops to entice you to part with your money. (Lots of really cute beachwear, too). More pizza/hamburger/smoothie/etc. shops than you can count. There is always some sort of free entertainment by street performers. I enjoy grabbing a slice of pizza, parking myself where I can watch people, and trying to guess which people are the Calif. natives, and which are midwestern tourists out stretching their legs on their very first visit to Cali. Usually the slightly confused/surprised/shocked/intrigued looks on their faces give them away as tourists. Crossing the pedestrian bridge over PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and climbing the steps to the top of the cliff takes you within a short walk (or skate) to more upscale shopping at Santa Monica's 2nd St. mall area. More good food there, as well. A walk out onto the wooden Santa Monica Pier allows you to look back at the shoreline and get more of a surfer's-eye view. There's a giant ferris wheel to ride, and also an old, restored, INDOOR carousel that's a fun, inexpensive ride (but they'll make you take your skates off, first). Although maybe not "nice" by 5-star-hotel standards, it's still one of my favorite places to be. It's true California, the way it's depicted on TV and in movies (because so many of them are filmed right there!) Mid-winter, when much of the country is shovelling snow, the Calif. coast is often blessed with mild, sunny weather, without the summer fog. Venice may not be everyone's cup of tea, but is sure is mine - I never go to Southern Calif. without my skates, and without visiting Venice Beach.
Rel8ing2Sk8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #25
SkateUtah

Default Great

Wish i skated when i was at Venice Beach last year.
SkateUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #26
shesk8

Luv this post! We just took a short rejuvenation trip out to Cali this April, and skated Santa Monica to Redondo beach. Though, the winds over the weekend we were there made for some interesting and sandy skating. We encountered a number of skaters, great to see skating is alive & well. The marvin braude trail (the strand) is an absolute fun place to roll! We had not skated this trail in years, nice to see some things never change. Though, imo it is best suited for fitness/rec/urban skates.

skateNOW instagram
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote