S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Lil Rev

Default Trying to revamp old skool boots...

Hey guys, been lurking for a while. Thanks to Kathie for adding me. Great forum, the info on here about quad skates is just not available anywhere else...

I have recently picked up a pair of Bauer Turbo's (like most outdoor skaters in the UK) to start skating street and ramp again after a 10 year break... I've swapped out most stock parts (wheels, bearings, trucks and cushions) for something more suitable for outdoor skating. I have ACS430 trucks with Krypto Cruise 62's. These are fine for general skating, but I'm after something I can abuse a little more...

I'm after a skateboard truck I can use with a Variflex (I know, ugh) plate, and I'd love advice from someone who knows about skateboard wheels that will fit my setup. It seems my best option in the UK is one of the "Death" branded wheels, something around 54-55mm??

I'm not keen on the ACS651's - I snapped 2 as a kid, and I read on here the remakes aren't as strong so if I can find a mid-track truck that fits my current setup I'll be a very happy bunny...

If this isn't possible with this boot/plate, then I think I'll go with inlines to learn to grind, but I do like my Bauers (always get a few looks from the 'Scooter Crew' at my local park) and would like to 'vert' them out if feasible.

Thanks in advance, Lil Rev
Lil Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Rev View Post
Hey guys, been lurking for a while. Thanks to Kathie for adding me. Great forum, the info on here about quad skates is just not available anywhere else...

I have recently picked up a pair of Bauer Turbo's (like most outdoor skaters in the UK) to start skating street and ramp again after a 10 year break... I've swapped out most stock parts (wheels, bearings, trucks and cushions) for something more suitable for outdoor skating. I have ACS430 trucks with Krypto Cruise 62's. These are fine for general skating, but I'm after something I can abuse a little more...

I'm after a skateboard truck I can use with a Variflex (I know, ugh) plate, and I'd love advice from someone who knows about skateboard wheels that will fit my setup. It seems my best option in the UK is one of the "Death" branded wheels, something around 54-55mm??

I'm not keen on the ACS651's - I snapped 2 as a kid, and I read on here the remakes aren't as strong so if I can find a mid-track truck that fits my current setup I'll be a very happy bunny...

If this isn't possible with this boot/plate, then I think I'll go with inlines to learn to grind, but I do like my Bauers (always get a few looks from the 'Scooter Crew' at my local park) and would like to 'vert' them out if feasible.

Thanks in advance, Lil Rev
Any "standard" skateboard truck should fit on the Variflex as far as I'm aware (I'm the one who pointed out that the new 651's are brittle, had one break by the pivot pin just looning around the rink), might be worth looking at NOS or used 80's stuff - I seem to recall Trackers being better than ACS?

Back when I did vert we always fitted jump bars to Variflex plates after a guy snapped his on the half-pipe we used to have at the rink... But I assume you have those already?

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Lil Rev

I don't have jump bars atm, was thinking of trying to build my own sliders though so they'll be incorporated into them...

Thanks for the reply, will start looking for mid sized trucks (I guess the size of the wheels is irrelevant with anything wider than standard)

I've broken one (ACS651) just off the pivot just skating, and I broke one on the axle skating ramps, so I'm not fussed about getting them either old or new stock...

Thanks again, lil rev

Just picked a set of Santa Cruz Bullets 58mm 95a up from ebay for 25. They should make me move a little faster than my current sponges. Just need the weather now to try them...

Last edited by Lil Rev; April 22nd, 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: so I didn't start a pointless new thread :P
Lil Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
HK47
Roll Player

Another option, which would be stronger but only suitable for aggressive skating, would be to nab an ally Super-X plate and a set of wide trucks from rollergirl.ca, those are pretty much indestructible and no need for a jump bar so you can add a grind block in the middle if you feel the urge.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:28 PM   #5
watsits
Old Fart

Super X UK based for the plate

Although I've never had the urge to put wide trucks on my Bauers I reckon I'd end up on my ar5e after keep tripping over them each to their own
watsits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsits View Post
Super X UK based for the plate

Although I've never had the urge to put wide trucks on my Bauers I reckon I'd end up on my ar5e after keep tripping over them each to their own
I agree with HK on the Super X plates and wider trucks (plus home-made grind pad) for aggro/vert.

Wide (mid-track) trucks aren't hard to adjust to and have the advantage that you can use any skateboard wheels with them (standard width quad trucks will have binding issued with centre hub wheels in most cases).

I used to do vert back in the 80's in Bauer Turbos with 651's, jump/grind bars (home made from 1" diameter steel tube) and Variflex wheels (and Clouds) on the Wigan roller rink half pipe...

Now with added Daughter!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Lil Rev

The trucks might be a goer, but that plate's more than the skate cost me. I'd be just as well mounting the plates I get with the skateboard truck plate (like biffs)...

I was wondering if I could use spacers (maybe a wheel nut?) on my current trucks to try my skateboard wheels out, or would that not work?
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
The trucks might be a goer, but that plate's more than the skate cost me. I'd be just as well mounting the plates I get with the skateboard truck plate (like biffs)...

I was wondering if I could use spacers (maybe a wheel nut?) on my current trucks to try my skateboard wheels out, or would that not work?
looking at the pics your wheel nuts are already pretty close to the end of the aaxles... so putting a spacer behind would really depend on whether the new wheels have narrower inter-bearing spacing or not - if they don't it wouldn't work as you'd never get the nuts on properly.

Now with added Daughter!
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Lil Rev

Hmm, not sure. Guess I'll have to try them when they arrive...

I've found some skateboard trucks with a 3" hangar, if I can't get the new wheels on they're my next option. Im struggling to find any cheap trucks under 7.5" (would like something around 6.5" but not acs if possible)
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #10
HK47
Roll Player

Sorry, but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Lil Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Sorry, but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for
Very true, guess I'll have to drag myself out of bed for a few Saturday shifts
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

I believe these are what you're looking for (that's just one pair unfortunately but other sellers seem to be selling for a similar price)...

Unfortunately in our sport you really do get what you pay for so, while those Trackers are 4 times the price of ACS 651's, they are much higher quality (plus you get the hangers too in case you want to go for a "Biff-Style" build.

Now with added Daughter!
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Lil Rev

Yep, they're the ones...I'd have them tomorrow, but I'd be well in truly be in trouble with my better half
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Lil Rev

Default What about these?

Found some Vault 3" trucks on eBay, 22 a pair...

Not sure if centre-set skateboard wheels will fit in them though?
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Lil Rev

Default What about these?

Double post, delete please
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #16
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Found some Vault 3" trucks on eBay, 22 a pair...

Not sure if centre-set skateboard wheels will fit in them though?
looking at the pics on this site I would say yes, might have to watch out for boot bite though depending on your wheel size (I get bite with narrower trucks on my RX-05's if I put 62mm wheels on there but I do run my cushions soft {SG super yellow cones, purple barrels} and loose).

Not sure if I mentioned this before but I am also running Variflex plates - at least until I can persuade the wife that I need Mg Avengers

Now with added Daughter!
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Lil Rev

Quote:
Not sure if I mentioned this before but I am also running Variflex plates - at least until I can persuade the wife that I need Mg Avengers
I know that feeling, I'm the same with the tracker midtracks should get my wheels today (54mm Bullets) so I'll do some playing.
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #18
Lil Rev

Managed to get the wheels on, just...

Will have to see if I get any bite when I get the chance to skate (damn English weather).
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #19
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Managed to get the wheels on, just...

Will have to see if I get any bite when I get the chance to skate (damn English weather).
How far from Derby are you? - you could always try them out indoors at the rink there

Now with added Daughter!
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #20
Lil Rev

Derby's about an hour for me....

Sun's out today though, should be dry in an hour or so :P