S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old June 30th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default New Speed Forum Visitors - Introduce Yourself!

If you are visiting the SkateLog Speedskating Forum for the first time, or even if you have been here awhile, we invite you to introduce yourself to the rest of us by replying to this post!

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
ThePerambulator

I'll kick this off.

My name is Chris, and I'm from Minneapolis. I lived in Texas for a few years as a kid, and everyone playing inline hockey, so thats where my skating began. Moved back to MN, and played ice hockey through high school. Wanted to keep skating in college, so I got back into inline a bit.

I did my first inline marathon (NSIM) in 2009. The next summer (2010) I skated 2,500 miles across the country to raise money to rebuild schools in Haiti. That project was called Rolling to Rebuild. Since then i've gotten hooked on speed skating. I wish i could go back and do RtR again with all of the knowledge about equipment and technique that I have now...I really had no idea what I was doing!

Now i'm trying to get good at speed skating. This is the first season I've really taken it seriously. Got real speed skates (Bont Z) and I've done 5 races so far this year.

My first marathon in 2009 I skated in 1:51. This year my fastest is 1:19. I truly want to be an elite skater some day...lots of work ahead but I love it! My goal for the season is to win the Open division at the North Shore this year and qualify for Elite for 2013

OK thats me. Who's next?
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:10 PM   #3
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

My name is Andrew. I am originally from, and currently live in, the Chicagoland area. I grew up in the suburbs and live and work in Chicago. I started skating as a teenager, and ended up a street skater for most of my teens, and was a rink rat at Coachlite in Rosell, Illinois. I supplemented skating with ATV motocross in my teens. I stopped skating regularly when I was in college and graduate school, but bought myself a pair of Radical 90s to get back into shape after grad school. I skated on and off, but nothing regular. A buddy of mine suggested doing inline marathons last year in February, and that is when I learned about speed skating. Since March of 2011, I upgraded to speed skates (Bont Jets), and have participated in 4 marathons. I have three more races on the schedule this year, including the Chicagoland Marathon, the Minnesota Half Marathon, and potentially the Westfield Grand in Indianapolis. My personal best marathon is 1:36:56, and my long term goal is to skate a sub-90 minute marathon. I have a crazy career as it is, so I have no serious ambition about becoming an elite skater, but I would like to keep up with the fastest skaters in the Advanced Masters division of NROC, if I can. Long term, I hope skating keeps from getting fat as I age.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4
dthamm
Half-Fast

Great idea to suggest this!

I'm Doug. I have been skating in one form or another for about 37 years (ice figure and rec quad as a kid, street/aggressive inline and ice hockey in college). Started ice and inline speedskating about 2.5 years ago with my 7-year old son. There is a former Olympian here who teaches both. This year my 5-year old started inline as well. I co-coach the beginner inline class at our rink.

I was planning to do my first marathon (NSIM) this year but have had a series of foot and ankle setbacks - working on breaking in my new Jets to try to address this, and I have grudging permission from my wife to go for a pair of custom Z's if necessary! I guess it's a lot cheaper mid-life crisis purchase than a convertible! :-) I have 195-mount 110/100 setup ready to go once the boot thing is figured out, but I want to replace one thing at a time....

I now am hoping to skate in my first marathon and indoor races next season!

Love the list - lurk a lot and have used the search feature to great advantage. Thanks to everyone for all the great contributions!

Doug
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
speedysktr
President of Everything

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthamm View Post
Great idea to suggest this!
I know right?

It can get a bit cluttered to have a bunch of "new here" threads.

A few of the regulars have shared themselves and I think that's great. Many of us have been around the board for some time so I would encourage other SLF vets to chime in as well and share a little bit about themselves so that the new people have some feeling for who they're talking with and what their perspective may be.

I've been around SLF since '04 and have been skating most of my life. I started as a rink rat my freshman year of HS in 1979 and did that for a few years before more interesting things came along. I got my first inlines in '92, my first (and supposedly "the only other skate I would ever need" ha!, 11 boots later...), the Roces Paris 5 wheel in '94. 1995 brought my first race and my first speed boot, the Bont Hustler. I began skating indoors some that same year as well as my 1st A2A. I've completed every official full distance A2A that has been held since then. (this year will be my 17th in a row) I lost a year in 2001 to multiple back surgeries, but still managed to complete A2A with virtually no skating for the year. I've been skating indoor and outdoor all of this time and began coaching Skatetown Speed in the autumn of '09. I've done a lot of racing and am a big proponent of competition whether you're hardcore or not. I consider myself more of an outdoor skater, but I love it all and encourage everyone to balance their skating with indoor training if it's an option and definitely as much cross training as you can manage.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

Hey all, I'm Christine. I live in Colorado. I've been inline skating for about 17 years; got into speed skating last year and fell in love with it. I skated the Minnesota half marathon, NSIM and the 38 mile portion of A2A last year on a pair of K2 Radical 100's. I actually placed 5th in my age division at NSIM w/ a marathon time of 1:34:02.

This year I upgraded to Bonts; and so far I've done the Texas Road Rash, Apostle Islands, and I'm set to do Napa Valley this weekend & NSIM in September. I'm still getting used to the new skates but I've already seen a huge difference in the way I skate. Now I just need to work on getting faster - my goal for NSIM this year is 1:25.

I used to feel very, very alone in my passion for inline skating since I didn't know any other skaters. Through the interwebs all of that has changed and I LOVE it!!!!
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #7
dthamm
Half-Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Sk8er View Post
Hey all, I'm Christine. I live in Colorado.
Hey Christine, let me know when you are up Fort Collins way some time, we can hit the trails! There's also a great indoor club up here (which will get a lot more low-key after the elite skaters get through with Nationals...) :-)

Doug
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #8
cass38a

I am Andrew, 40 years old and I live in Newcastle, NSW Australia. I have been Quad skating on and off since about 1980. I started racing Quads in 2009 after a seperate Quad grade was added to the local (200klm away) speed skating GP circuit. After getting smashed by the inliners in the open events I bit the bullet early last year and started to swich to inlines. After a few false starts due to poor fitting boots and bad equipment I got some decent fitting skates skates in October 2011. I have been training myself with the aid of Youtube and this forum since then and can now exceed 40klm per hour in sprints and can cruise at 30klm for a few kilometers.

I have raced inlines at 5 GP events so far this year and have shaved two seconds off my 200 meter TT since January (my PB is now on inlines rather than Quads). I still miss the Quads and at every event I consider switching back as I was usually in the top 2 or three in every race but now am chasing the pack.

No marathons are skated on this side of the pond so I have 10k in 20 minutes and a sub 20 second TT by December 2013 as my long term goal.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #9
diaboloskater

Hi im paul been skating for bout half my life I'm 36 divorced feal like I'm doing a dating page. Started on quads, did a tuch roller hockey switch to inlines did a bit of street an ramp an urban skating an hitting the rinks up am down east coast of australia went back to speed on inline for a bit back when they where 5 wheel more just trained for fitness went back to urban for a bit but just got set of bont jets an plan to start speed skating again. I also cycle
For
Fitness, spear fish an body bord
diaboloskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #10
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthamm View Post
Hey Christine, let me know when you are up Fort Collins way some time, we can hit the trails! There's also a great indoor club up here (which will get a lot more low-key after the elite skaters get through with Nationals...) :-)

Doug
Speed Weasles??? I met a few of you guys at Apostle! It's a bit of a trek for me but I'd love to come skate with you!
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #11
godzilla
Red Magic wheels

Hi, my name is Alexander Bont. I started skating at the age of 2. My father started making skates in 1974 and I started working with him at the age of 12 cutting liners for boots. At 15 I started making complete boots. I didn't enjoy it because all I wanted to do was skate and making skates means standing for hours on end which made my legs tired for skating.

I started racing short track at the age of 5 and also raced on quads, long track ice and inlines. I was the NSW state champion on inlines for 500m and spent 7 years on the Australian national team with a PB in the 500m of 43.5 and many Australian national titles.

I spent every Australian summer from the age of 16 living in either Canada or Holland for short track training and effectively lived in Winter for 7 years. I now try to follow summer around the world to catch up so I am living in Korea for the next 3 months.

At the age of 21, I caught Glandular Fever (Mono) and CMV together which put an end to my Olympic aspirations. I spent 3 years recovering and began working for Bont full time where I have been working in marketing ever since.

I have a degree in Computing and a Master of Commerce (marketing) both from the university of New South Wales.

I also enjoy mountain biking, fishing, motor racing and online gaming.

I got my nickname 'godzilla' from a Nissan GTR that I used to own that was highly tuned.

1994 Holland
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #12
PBLsQuad450

Alright, I'm jumping in because someone has to go after Alex. Actually Alex and I share a lot of the same experience... Well, we share some... Well, OK, we share that I bought custom Z's from Bont last year. I started skating in 4th grade. I was an ice hockey player through a year of decent club Junior College. The team was decent, not me. I tried out in-lines back in the mid 80's and hated them. Left for a long time only to return on a whim 3 years ago. I bought generic 84mm wheeled Rollerblades to see if I would immediately want a stick in my hands, or to get in a bowl or to never to do this again... But instantly, and I mean my first feeling on that basketball court the first day I tried out my new skates... I wanted to just go. And go and go and go. And go fast. As fast as I could possibly go. Quickly outstripped that gear and started last season on my first speed skates. Lots of fiddling and fine tuning later I love skating even more. Working on form, form, form these days.

My first love, after my family, is my work. I am a social worker and wouldn't trade that for anything. After that comes skating. I'm 46 but my brain is still the same idiot 17 year old... I live in Jersey, literally at the Jersey Shore, yeah I know, but that's where I'm from, it's them that's foreign, us locals are nothing like that. I XC Ski in winter and lift from darkness on as the clock dictates each year.

I'm excited to have met and skated with some SLF members and I am super looking forward to more of that and I hope like heck to try competing.
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #13
KSPone

Thumbs up Hididleyho there

I'm Kyle. I skate there for I am.

Nothing to see here~ Move along My spelling is horrible, sorry. It's tough on a mobile or at least this one! ~

Skated for a few years as a young teenager. Stoped when I got a car, girls same old story.
Started again about 8-10 months ago when my son ahd a pta sk8 party & got Hooked. It's become therapy & an outlet for stress & etc. I understand what sk8 or die & roller derby saved my life really means. I've been trowing around the idea of getting in a graffiti style font sk8ordie on my knuckles tattoo almost seriously. I work in hvac & fixed all the ac for the rink here in Good ol' Blue Springs, Mo just east of KC, MO. I've been told by Vicki the owner I'm an official rink rat now. She traded my labor for a pair of S85's w/ SGDA45'S & UMMM forgot what wheels I got, alum hub'd SG's. Wore the grooves off in about 4 weeks & Matt just got me into a set Of Exquisid Bones Turbos that I got to skate tonight. I'll post in that thread my thoughts. But I've been progressing & progressing. Wanted to just go fast @ first but have now started jumping a few of the spots on the floor. 180's 360 fw, bw switch basic stuff. What else~ work skating ~ I have a beautiful 7 yo boy Kaleb & beautiful 3 YO Kenleigh & my cranky wife Darla (I'm in the dog house for "\ot Communicating" enough) My family comes with, I keep finding things @ the rink to fix or other wise for Vicki & we are working on a good st aIrter pair for Darla. Kaleb will need a better pair soon & Kenleigh sees me jumping & does the same. It's so cute watching her jump & turn "Just Like Daddy" it won't be long befor she's done with her trainers & gets real new skates. What else idano I'm a regular @ Blue springs & get up to winwood on thursdays for adult night. I've been trowing the idea of finding the men's derby team here in town to try & pick up some technique. We'll go over to lee's summit from time to time. But just to see all the other rinks in town I think i'll put together a rink crawl or something for the other rats & I. We have so many & so many people haven't got any so we should deffinatly appreciate what we have. I've also become buddys with Jimmy over @ RC Skates, the log should really let him back on. Idano what he did to get banned but in reality he's a great guy that's passionate about skating & is a real good father to his children. See him @ the sat eve sessions. He helped me with my Kick ass skates I want to ride daily but there's never enough time to sk8 as much as one would like.

If there is any one in KC that enjoys this as much as I do PM me! I haven't many friends that will skate so it's me & the other rats (mainly 13 YO's & I'm 36 so not really buddy buddy with them but we are all friendly) I just enjoy getting out with others my own age that enjoy this as much as I do. I've made a few aquantences with some but, you know how it goes.
Any Who Cheer's Yo!
KSPone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Alyosha

Hi, my name is Dale and I'm a speed skater.

I've been skating since I was in elementary school - learned to ice skate at the local rink in the winter, quads at the local roller rink. In middle school (early '90s) I got my first pair of inlines for my birthday and I was hooked. I skated consistently on rec skates all through high school and college, thought I never had any idea that there was such a thing as inline skate races, or even speed skates for that matter. Then in 2004 I stumbled upon the NSIM and decided to give it a try. That year had beautiful weather, a stiff tail wind, and was still much bigger than it is now. I had an inordinate amount of fun, got a surprisingly good time, and was hooked. I stayed on rec skates for a few more years until I got some Radical 100s in 2006 and began my foray in to big wheels and long frames. Finally in 2009 I snagged a pair of "last year's model" Powerslide C2s for a steal and really began to race.

Now I'm taking advantage of the busy midwest race schedule and am trying to figure out how to train enough to keep up with the pro groups while still working a job and taking care of 3 kids.
Old July 24th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #15
chinishflash

Hi folks!

First off I'd like to say what a great community of inline skaters are on this forum, I feel really welcomed by the friendliness of the people here, not to mention the knowledge and expertise many of you have. Anyhow, guess I should introduce myself. My name is Miao, and I am from Chicago. I have lived in Germany for many years, where I first picked up Inline Skating as a youngster. Later on I moved to British Columbia, Canada, where my passion for skating was ignited by the roller hockey craze going on around the time. I played in some outdoor roller hockey leagues at the time with friends, it was a real blast. Finally I came to the to the United States about 13 years ago, and I have been here since.

I have been a recreational/fitness skater for most of my life, though I have always had the urge to go faster. With that idea in mind, 2 years ago I purchased a new set of K2 moto 90 skates which was a perfect blend of speed and maneuverability for me. Earlier this year I decided to pick it up another notch and got myself the Bont Semi Race 100mm. Though the transition has been slow and painful at times (blisters tell the entire story), I am becoming comfortable enough on them to be able to skate with them in any parcours.

I just completed my first race this past weekend, which happened to be the Chicago Inline Marathon, in 2 hours 9 minutes. While I would have liked to do much better (was aiming for sub 2 hours), I wasn't prepared for the number of hills that the course threw at me, and moreover, I had to skate almost all of the course alone. Alas, I can't wait till next year Also thinking of signing up for the Duluth Marathon (heard the course is flat, so times will be fast). My plan is to sign up for more races in the future, and start skating with a local group to get some quality training.

These days you can find me skating along the beautiful lakefront trails along lakeshore drive! Don't always go fast, as I like to take in the scenery (it's breathtaking). I would like to one day be able to skate sub 90 minute marathons, so I will constantly be working to improve my technique. If anybody is around Chicago and enjoys skating as much as I do, feel free to PM me, as I am always up for groupskates!

Anyways, laters y'all
chinishflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #16
WildBill

Name is Bill. 32 yrs of age. I've been floating around the boards here for a little while. I don't post much, but I visit often. I love to soak up the information that is available on here. I just got into this sport about a year ago. My local rink has a speed team. One of the team moms saw my daughter skating on her rec inlines during her school skate party, and asked her at the end of the session if she'd be interested in speed skating. She went to a few practices, and got hooked. After watching her and some of the other adults, my wife and I said "what the heck" and gave it a go ourselves. The rest is history. Now my whole family - wife and two kids - skate. This past year was my first year competing. I only skate indoors, but I'd like to take it outside. I absolutely love this sport.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Speedsk8mama

Smile Hello

My name is Brandie and I'm from Kent, WA I've been skating for as long as I can remember. Skated competitively in high school and back at it now as a master. I have a 6 year old daughter who also speed skates. We skate for Auburn Speed. Nice to meet you all.
Speedsk8mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #18
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsk8mama View Post
My name is Brandie and I'm from Kent, WA I've been skating for as long as I can remember. Skated competitively in high school and back at it now as a master. I have a 6 year old daughter who also speed skates. We skate for Auburn Speed. Nice to meet you all.
Nice to meet you too Brandie, I'm sure you and your daughter will do well.
See you at the rink!
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM   #19
reefstation

Default larry rosa

greetings......!
long time no see !

i skated for buena park, ca. speed club in 1966-1971.
my sister won regeonals in b girls 1st place.

i also skated for whittier, ca.
and glendora speed club.

what i would like to know is:
does anyone have any info on the powder (rosin powder) that was used on wood floors for speed club & inter club races ?
who made the stuff..... and who supplied it ?

i always used dexter wheels when i raced.

i went back to lincoln nebraska to the world roller finals..... in 1970.
it WAS cool to skate on that world track !

any one out there remember the buena park speed turtles ?

here are some of the names that were in our club:
larry, terry & kerry rosa.... wendal smith, ben agee, mike austin, the labedas,
jim tarigno, paul figgins ! ..... the bird brothers, and a whole bunch more !

anyone know any of these people ?

here is my email address:
snomobubble@yahoo.com
reefstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM   #20
hotzenplotz

Hi, I'm Julian, 30 years old. I live in Mannheim in southwest Germany. I started skating when I was about 10 (started with ice skating, roller skating) and soon noticed the inline skaters on the paths. It was the time when the sport became really popular here. A few years later almost everyone my age owned a pair of aggressive skates, but I always liked skating on trails better.

Later I almost stopped skating until I started again 2 years ago. Bought speed skates (Powerslide R2) last summer and started to compete in local races and I really liked it. It must have been skating which has got me back into cycling as well. This year I've been getting around town almost entirely by bicycle. So now I am the fittest I have ever been and want to go on like that. To make my skating more of a social activity I recently joined the local club which happens to be based in my town, lucky me!

I have been on this forum for quite some time, just reading and not commenting. I think this thread is a great idea cause you learn something about the background of other skaters.
I have to agree with K2Sk8er that in this sport, you can feel quite lonesome at times. When I go trail skating I very rarely meet other, say, ambitioned skaters. Thank goodness there is a place like this forum
hotzenplotz is offline   Reply With Quote