S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old August 21st, 2013, 05:39 PM   #41
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
No one, overall, will LOSE anything. But some will gain something. If people want a "shoot from the hip" type of thread, the thread starter better be a shoot from the hip type. The folks who like ORDER have been the ones being robbed for a long time. There is no way to get it and keep it. Folks keep griping that we will become over moderated. No. It will be a thread by thread thing. If I want a well ordered thread, I will start one, and state right up front, THIS is the topic, stay on it or else. Likewise, if I start another thread, I may state up front that I will not heavily moderate this thread.

My proposed change "makes room" for those who would like more order. It is not kicking out those who don't. It may create a situation where those who like order will not participate in a disordered thread, and those that are disordered will get deleted from an ordered thread. But ALL get to speak.

It will make it very hard for someone to come and trash anothers thread. How can that be so bad?
I'm not talking about a particular moderation technique. I was speaking from an overall strategic position of moderating entire boards that has forums on them, threads underneath those forums and posts in those threads. The moderation of the entire board is the focus of that post and how to achieve the balance that is required to keep posters posting and at the same time minimize confusion and the resulting conflict.

Last edited by Edward Williams; August 21st, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:25 AM   #42
Philphine

just a suggestion. peruse this forum and the rating system set up there

http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ul...i?action=intro

it has it's good and bad points to me. i've always been a little leary of it being abused, but it's been set up this way for quite a few years and the majority seem to like it.

i've seen people take sides and use it as a weapon, but being as it takes quite a few votes to really affect a persons rep, let alone kick them out, it more or less works like it should. i think it might be something the moderator set up himself though, so i don't know if it would even work on another forum.
Philphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #43
cass38a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Yepper...it's really not that complicated a process. All you have to do is look for 2 things; the people who post the most in a particular forum and the people who post the most constructive questions or comments in that same forum. The person has to have both. Of that list make a judgement call in terms of ranking the candidates from best to worst. Then start asking people to participate. Those people are in that forum anyway posting constructive comments (shrugs shoulders).

It's really not that complicated.
Using that model our mate Dillo could end up being a moderator

sorry couldn't resist
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #44
Mamaskates
Rollin'

I found this. Substitute "SLF" for "FB"

http://bgr.com/2013/08/15/facebook-s...ser-happiness/

Last edited by Mamaskates; September 5th, 2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Thought of Something Better
Mamaskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #45
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post

sorry couldn't resist
Oh no problem. Could be. And he should be a moderator...of the Outdoor Quads forum.
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #46
Iggy
DGS Racing

Default My $0.02

First off, welcome to the Internet. You must be new. Here's a poncho

Here's the problem I see with having everyone being able to moderate and delete posts from their own threads. Think about this...With the current settings, Member "A" posts a thread talking about their ideas and opinions and portrays those as cold hard fact. John Q. Newbie comes in, sees this post with a lot of detail and a lot of big words, and says "Hey this person knows what they're talking about. I'm gonna try this." Now, Member "B" comes in, reads the OP and sees glaring inaccuracies and misinformation, and posts correcting them. The OP comes in and bashes Member "B", saying "You're wrong. What's wrong with you. Don't come in my thread and badmouth me!!!" Yes there's arguing, but the correct information from Member "B" is still there for Mr. Newbie to read and consider, and perhaps realize that the OP is actually way off and ends up going with Member "B's" suggestions.

Now think about it if the OP can delete posts out of their threads. Member "A" posts their same ideas and opinions, again making it sound like cold hard fact. John Q. Newbie comes in and reads the info and thinks the OP knows their stuff and decided to build their skates like that. Now, Member "B" comes in a corrects the OP, but since the OP thinks they're right and Member "B" is just in there to badmouth them, the OP deletes Member "B's" post with very important information. Now since Member "B's" info is gone and Mr. Newbie didn't get to see it, he builds his skates like the OP said, tries them, hates them, and gives up on skating. I realize that sounds a little drastic, but still.....

The other problem is that if Member "A" posts their wrong info, Member "B" comes in and corrects the OP, the OP deletes the important info from Member "B". Now Member "B" goes and starts their own thread posting their info and saying about how Member "B's" thread is in relation to Member "A's" thread. Member "A" starts badmouthing Member "B" in their own thread. Member "B" starts badmouthing Member "A" in their own thread. Now instead of having all the BS contained in one thread, it's spread in to two threads wasting space on the servers and in the forum.

Something else to think about. I see that a lot of the posters in here are mostly from the Quad forum. If you haven't already, check out some of the other forums on here. There's nowhere near as much fighting and whining as there is in the Quad forum. I spend most of my time in the Quad forum, but I poke around the Derby, Quad Speed, and Quad Vert forums as well. I don't see nearly as much fighting in those sections. And, surprise surprise, most of the threads with arguing in them involve one of the posters from the Quad forum posting wrong information and then yelling and badmouthing those that dare contradict.

The real problem here is that the mods don't moderate. They've said many times on here in plain English that they have no intentions of moderating this forum and they don't want anyone else moderating it. They are perfectly happy to let everyone bicker and complain and continue with the general douchebaggery, just so long as they don't have to deal with it. So complain or suggest all you want to, nothing is going to change.

Though knowing that the moderators don't care about what goes on on here, I've decided that instead of feeding the trolls, I'm just gonna start hitting the Report Post button on the offenders posts when appropriate. Eventually the mods are going to get tired of seeing my reports and either say something to the offenders or just threaten to delete my account if I don't stop bothering them. Either way, I won't have to deal with the trolls anymore
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #47
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Thanks for stopping by Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
First off, welcome to the Internet. You must be new. Here's a poncho

Here's the problem I see with having everyone being able to moderate and delete posts from their own threads. Think about this...With the current settings, Member "A" posts a thread talking about their ideas and opinions and portrays those as cold hard fact. John Q. Newbie comes in, sees this post with a lot of detail and a lot of big words, and says "Hey this person knows what they're talking about. I'm gonna try this." Now, Member "B" comes in, reads the OP and sees glaring inaccuracies and misinformation, and posts correcting them. The OP comes in and bashes Member "B", saying "You're wrong. What's wrong with you. Don't come in my thread and badmouth me!!!" Yes there's arguing, but the correct information from Member "B" is still there for Mr. Newbie to read and consider, and perhaps realize that the OP is actually way off and ends up going with Member "B's" suggestions.

Briefly, it is buyer beware. The thing I see is that ranters rant ALONE. If they remove all corrections or different opinions, there threads will be only their voices. A balanced thoughtful thread will likely get more credibility

Now think about it if the OP can delete posts out of their threads. Member "A" posts their same ideas and opinions, again making it sound like cold hard fact. John Q. Newbie comes in and reads the info and thinks the OP knows their stuff and decided to build their skates like that. Now, Member "B" comes in a corrects the OP, but since the OP thinks they're right and Member "B" is just in there to badmouth them, the OP deletes Member "B's" post with very important information. Now since Member "B's" info is gone and Mr. Newbie didn't get to see it, he builds his skates like the OP said, tries them, hates them, and gives up on skating. I realize that sounds a little drastic, but still.....

The ability to edit ones' own thread can be revoked if it is being misused. A proper use of deleting a post would be off topic, or personal attack.

The other problem is that if Member "A" posts their wrong info, Member "B" comes in and corrects the OP, the OP deletes the important info from Member "B". Now Member "B" goes and starts their own thread posting their info and saying about how Member "B's" thread is in relation to Member "A's" thread. Member "A" starts badmouthing Member "B" in their own thread. Member "B" starts badmouthing Member "A" in their own thread. Now instead of having all the BS contained in one thread, it's spread in to two threads wasting space on the servers and in the forum.

Something else to think about. I see that a lot of the posters in here are mostly from the Quad forum. If you haven't already, check out some of the other forums on here. There's nowhere near as much fighting and whining as there is in the Quad forum. I spend most of my time in the Quad forum, but I poke around the Derby, Quad Speed, and Quad Vert forums as well. I don't see nearly as much fighting in those sections. And, surprise surprise, most of the threads with arguing in them involve one of the posters from the Quad forum posting wrong information and then yelling and badmouthing those that dare contradict.

We are quad skaters being moderated by indifferent inline skaters. That is pretty sad, but it is where we are at. But, the mods still go to the trouble of posting rules, but then turn their back enforcing them. If the mods got better things to do than mod, well God bless them. But if that is the case, it at least be nice if they would get the F out of the way and let SOMEONE do it. This provides the method to do it ourselves, and is distributed among all who start threads.

The real problem here is that the mods don't moderate. They've said many times on here in plain English that they have no intentions of moderating this forum and they don't want anyone else moderating it. They are perfectly happy to let everyone bicker and complain and continue with the general douchebaggery, just so long as they don't have to deal with it. So complain or suggest all you want to, nothing is going to change.

Though knowing that the moderators don't care about what goes on on here, I've decided that instead of feeding the trolls, I'm just gonna start hitting the Report Post button on the offenders posts when appropriate. Eventually the mods are going to get tired of seeing my reports and either say something to the offenders or just threaten to delete my account if I don't stop bothering them. Either way, I won't have to deal with the trolls anymore
Or we could organize a cadre of good loggers to leave SkateLog since the mods seem delighted to let us sit in a vat of sh*t. Primarily to protect one person. I mean, this problematic person has not even been given a 1 month time out. There is another place that exists NOW. The Mods do not MAKE SkateLog. People who contribute to the forums do. They are inliners. Would they actually CARE if the Quad Forums died because everyone left? My guess would be no. It might take them months before they even noticed. I mean, this thread is a month old, and not a peep out of either mod.
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #48
Mamaskates
Rollin'

To Heck with "Moderation," I need a drink.
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #49
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Briefly, it is buyer beware. The thing I see is that ranters rant ALONE. If they remove all corrections or different opinions, there threads will be only their voices. A balanced thoughtful thread will likely get more credibility.
I agree with the buyer beware sentiment, but this is supposed to be a helpful and informative online community. If the help and important information is deleted, how is that helpful?

Quote:
The ability to edit ones' own thread can be revoked if it is being misused. A proper use of deleting a post would be off topic, or personal attack.
And who is going to decide if and when to revoke that ability? The mods that don't want to be involved with the forum?

Quote:
We are quad skaters being moderated by indifferent inline skaters. That is pretty sad, but it is where we are at. But, the mods still go to the trouble of posting rules, but then turn their back enforcing them. If the mods got better things to do than mod, well God bless them. But if that is the case, it at least be nice if they would get the F out of the way and let SOMEONE do it. This provides the method to do it ourselves, and is distributed among all who start threads.
I agree that if the mods don't wanna mod, they should let someone else do it. The unfortunate reality is that, like I said, they've already told us several times that they do not want to do that. I'm pretty sure Kathy runs like 18,000 different forums and I wonder what the moderation and involvement from the mods on those forums is like.

Quote:
Or we could organize a cadre of good loggers to leave SkateLog since the mods seem delighted to let us sit in a vat of sh*t. Primarily to protect one person. I mean, this problematic person has not even been given a 1 month time out. There is another place that exists NOW. The Mods do not MAKE SkateLog. People who contribute to the forums do. They are inliners. Would they actually CARE if the Quad Forums died because everyone left? My guess would be no. It might take them months before they even noticed.
I really don't think the whole inline/quad thing has anything to do with it. Just a matter of they don't care in general. Over 10,000 members and only (I think) 2 mods? Not counting Doc since only has control over his section. Personally, I don't understand why there can't be maybe one or two people that moderate each section. There's obviously folks that spend at least the large majority of their time here in certain forums. Pick a couple of those folks to moderate the individual sections. I think that's been suggested to and shot down by the mods as well.

Basically, it really is a matter of "We don't care what happens here. If you don't like it, there's the door." Maybe enough folks will eventually defect to other forums so that either the mods will be forced to fix the problems or shut down. I know I do have an account on SouthernSkater. Maybe it's time I start spending more time there than here.
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #50
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaskates View Post
To Heck with "Moderation," I need a drink.
oooo oooo....Me too me too. Got any Jameson?
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #51
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
oooo oooo....Me too me too. Got any Jameson?
I wish
Old September 5th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #52
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaskates View Post
I wish

Mmmmmm Irish whiskey. I also enjoy West Virginian.......um......."whiskey" And one of these days I'll get down to Wigle distillery in the Strip District and get a bottle of their white whiskey.

Oops. Little off topic. Sorry, but I'm getting thirsty.
Old September 5th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #53
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:

Mmmmmm Irish whiskey. I also enjoy West Virginian.......um......."whiskey" And one of these days I'll get down to Wigle distillery in the Strip District and get a bottle of their white whiskey.

Don't worry about off topic. No one here to slap your wrists.

As for the girls, they post inline stuff. They are into it. They don't give a rip about quads.

Let's all go Southern. Comfort first, Skater 2nd.
Old September 5th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #54
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post

sorry couldn't resist
Well, since cass chose to use my name, blame him for attracting this previously unnamed "troll" into this thread's discussion. Hang on folks, a big load of anarchy is about to hit the fan. 'Dillo has arrived.

Since the proposed rule change giving OPs deletion rights for their own threads has thankfully NOT been adopted, as the OP is proposing for maintaining their particular vision of some imaginary hypothetical "order" in threads, and and for eliminating what in their estimate is the the current unacceptable level of "anarchy", lacking this rule change thus prevents the OP from just immediately deleting this post from me outright, and perhaps even without reading it, which they might otherwise gladly do, since I am such an obviously proven over time total troll, and what self respecting OP wants to let even one single post from a certified troll to ever appear THEIR THREAD???

Unfortunately, there are many flavors of certified trolls, and the best test I have ever found for identifying the nastiest flavor of them all is to examine how frequently they use these two words in their posts => "MY THREAD"

This whole notion of "possession" being applied to threads is a total corruption for the whole philosophy of how forums should operate.

It reminds me of how fundamentalist religions people think and operate.
It is similar to how cult leaders control their followers.
Scientology comes to mind.
Nothing contrary to the narrow consensus views of the leader/group shall ever be spoken or heard. NO heresy shall ever be spoken in "MY THREAD",
and all heretics shall be publicly insulted & humiliated, excommunicated, and/or burned at the stake --- continuong to burn in Hell forever after.

No posts shall ever remain in the: "MY THREADs" of all God-like original posters, unless they certify that they are within the bounds of proper ORDER, and that they do not undermine what that Original Poster has declared to be the absolute and only truth that anyone needs to hear form now until evermore within THEIR THREAD.

If you don't like this, then just go and start "YOUR OWN THREAD", where you can pretend to be your own God over the domain of your your own way too narrow views. You can attract your own cult of followers and weed out all the bad seed thinking wherever it may appear in your happy and holy thread.

What a load of frickin' CRAP!!

This website is PUBLIC SPACE offered for public discussions.

Carving it up into little private feifdoms of "MY THREADs" where cliquesters can hang out circle jerking their narrow minded points of view with no possibility of any reality check input from the real world ever appearing, as rufus is suggesting, will be the fastset and most certain way to kill the forum that has ever been floated.

If the "rufus rule" was in effect on this thread already, no doubt 80+% of the most intelligent content reply posts would ALREADY have been deleted.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; September 7th, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #55
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:

Now, you've done it! I've not heard of white whiskey. Is it worth the trip in?
Old September 5th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #56
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
Let's all go Southern. Comfort first, Skater 2nd.
I made an account, LOL. Unfortunately the liquor store is closed.
Old September 5th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #57
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Default Thoughts On Topic

If everyone would behave, we wouldn't need babysitters or deletions, its that simple.

If posters could delete others' posts, SLF would be as phony as Facebook.
What fun would that be? -Kind of like watching the news to see what is really going on.

Let's all get some white whiskey and skate! Okay, maybe not in that order.
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #58
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Ugh. One problem with the SS forum. He who must not be named is there.

This was his fine advice for heat molding a Bont heel:
"In addition to what others have suggested for more effectively molding the heels, consider the possibility of quickly squeezing the heel narrower with your hands, as soon as they come out of the oven, and even going beyond where you thing they need to end up, and then quickly inserting your fet and lacing tightly."

Hmmm? Yes. F things up in step one, and then spend steps 2, 3, and 4, and subsequent heat moldings 2-7, trying to fix the F up from step one of heat molding one. Any Bont heat molders want to try THAT method.

This is right up there with his advice for the person who was having forefoot problems and wanted LESS forefoot pressure. He recommended a high heel boot because it makes it easier to put weight on ones' heel. Brilliant, just brilliant. I seem to recall my forefoot screaming in agony skating a high heeled boot hard. Musta just been me.

Does anyone have a nice train set gathering dust in their attic??? Maybe we can send it to him and launch he who must not be named down an alternate, ahem, track.
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #59
Dec8rSk8r

I kind of agree with Dillo. The thought of the OP being able to delete any post they want because it's their thread doesn't sit well with me either. If we can't say what we want and have conflicting opinions, it isn't as interesting. As far as thread ownership goes, you only own what you say.

On the topic of mods, they will never be able to make everyone happy. If they ban people, there will always be people wanting them to give the person another chance, and people who think it should have happened much, much sooner. The same thing with discussions that turn into flame wars or questionable content. I think they try to use a light hand and just delete/ban the worst of it. That works for me...
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #60
WJCIV

Quote:
"Something else to think about. I see that a lot of the posters in here are mostly from the Quad forum. If you haven't already, check out some of the other forums on here. There's nowhere near as much fighting and whining as there is in the Quad forum. I spend most of my time in the Quad forum, but I poke around the Derby, Quad Speed, and Quad Vert forums as well. I don't see nearly as much fighting in those sections. And, surprise surprise, most of the threads with arguing in them involve one of the posters from the Quad forum posting wrong information and then yelling and badmouthing those that dare contradict."

I think the original point is that every forum other than quads doesn't have to be moderated pretty much at all. For some reason the quad forum is a hotbed for the type of activity you dislike, and that hasn't leaked over. So it isn't a problem of the moderators ignoring that board more than the other. They ignore them each equally, and only one has big problems. Maybe it is because there are more people there or the type of people who still care about quads are more stubborn. I don't know.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote