S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:09 AM   #1
John8a
Junior Member
 
John8a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17
Default Frame Size

My daughter is 12 years old and she is 140 cm in height, she has been using luigino p 51 frame(12',4X100) for the past 2 years.
The frame has developed cracks and i need to get a new frame. I am finding very difficult in choosing the frame sizes

1. Hilo(12.4" 195mm | 2 x 110mm 2 x 100mm)
2. Hilo(12.8" 195mm | 3 x 110mm 1 x 100mm)
3. same (12", 195mm| 4 X 100)

How much diffrence does the size of frame makes for children? Would the larger sizes of frames(larger wheels) be difficult ?
There are no children of her age in her group to compare. Can i take the chance of buying larger frames?
Kindly share your inputs on your experainces.
John8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:03 AM   #2
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,090
Default

There is no cut and dry answer for this and frame size is best determined by a coach that has seen her skate. My personal opinion, not having seen your daughter skate, would be to keep her on a 12.0" 4x100 or a 2x2 hybrid 12.4". In my experiences as a coach and a skater, shorter skaters do better on smaller setups. At less than 5 feet tall, those two frame sizes would most likely work the best.

In general, larger wheels and larger frames are harder to skate on for skaters with shorter legs. Cross overs are difficult to do correctly. Larger wheels take more energy to get them rolling and thus they can slow down a skaters starts (mostly an indoor thing).
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 02:34 AM   #3
NDSconcept
Senior Member
 
NDSconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8a View Post
My daughter is 12 years old and she is 140 cm in height, she has been using luigino p 51 frame(12',4X100) for the past 2 years.
The frame has developed cracks and i need to get a new frame. I am finding very difficult in choosing the frame sizes

1. Hilo(12.4" 195mm | 2 x 110mm 2 x 100mm)
2. Hilo(12.8" 195mm | 3 x 110mm 1 x 100mm)
3. same (12", 195mm| 4 X 100)

How much diffrence does the size of frame makes for children? Would the larger sizes of frames(larger wheels) be difficult ?
There are no children of her age in her group to compare. Can i take the chance of buying larger frames?
Kindly share your inputs on your experainces.
The length of the frame is also important, but the weight of the whole gear is also important.
If your child has good physical fitness, there is no hindrance to driving even if it is heavy.
If the physical strength of the child is weak, it will be helpful to make it a lightweight product.

Below is the weight comparison chart of each gear.
You choose the equipment and calculate the weight.
Please choose the proper weight for your child.

The picture frame of a child is 240 mm.
Can be used up to 110mm. (Of course, even 100mm will be used.)
The child 's physique was small and a short frame helped.
Please choose a good.








100mm, 110mm, 125mm Available magnesium frame.
Front deck height : 45.0mm







Changing the frame, the child's posture changed.
__________________
please understand, English even poor.
NDSconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #4
spdkls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 167
Default

My daughter is 10yo pushing 5 ft tall and shes on the 12.0 4x100/3x110 Simmons rush frame.

Is your's primarily indoor or outdoor?

I ask because if crossovers aren't a factor, then you can try a 12.4. Otherwise, with her height, I'd leave her on the 12.0.

Questions you should ask yourself. Is she comfortable? Is she skating well? If yes, then stay status quo.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!
 
chuckboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Central, MA
Posts: 2,733
Default

For younger kids, it's about foot speed. Why not get a 3x110mm frame. It would be lighter and would be more cost effective with only needing to buy 6 wheels instead of 8. And if the 110mm wheels prove to be too high, buy 100mm wheels for the interim.
__________________
Inline: Simmons Full Custom(2) | City Run 4x110/EO 3x125mm | TLTF/MPC/Matter | Acer/Bones
Outdoor Quad: Bont Carbon Hybrid | Snyder Advantage | RAD Glide 80A | Qube 8 Ball
Indoor Quad: Reidell 911 | Roll-Line Mistral | Corey Super Enforcers | Bones Swiss
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #6
matguy
Senior Member
 
matguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSconcept View Post
Changing the frame, the child's posture changed.
And, ya know, different boot, different wheels, a different area of the track, and a different position in the stride. But I'm sure it was all the frames... that you happen to sell.
__________________
Custom Bont Z Ion Vanquish 4x110 WRW Indoor Truth or Game Changers CEO Swiss
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #7
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
For younger kids, it's about foot speed. Why not get a 3x110mm frame. It would be lighter and would be more cost effective with only needing to buy 6 wheels instead of 8. And if the 110mm wheels prove to be too high, buy 100mm wheels for the interim.
This is why my opinion is that a coach should make the decision. I have seen plenty of kids go from a small 4x100 to a 3x110 and have their foot speed SLOW DOWN!! Why? because the deck height goes way up when you go to 3x110 which is the equivalent to having longer legs. Most kids 3x110 setups have higher decks than my 4x110 which is just crazy for someone with short little legs. If you look at the right hand picture that NDS posted, you can see a prime example of why I don't advocate 3x110 or 3x125 for kids (hint: look at the left ankle).
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #8
NDSconcept
Senior Member
 
NDSconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
And, ya know, different boot, different wheels, a different area of the track, and a different position in the stride. But I'm sure it was all the frames... that you happen to sell.

Please ask the coach of Danville for the situation of that child.
I can not confirm the change of that girl.
I just received the opinion and the picture of the coach teaching the child.

The frame used by that child stopped production.
There is no production.
I'd like to sell my frame.
But in the US or where there is no consumer you can not sell.

We provided information while hoping to help father for child.
We do not provide information with an impure intention.
In the US there are more products.
Hoping for thinking in common sense.
__________________
please understand, English even poor.
NDSconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 01:59 AM   #9
NDSconcept
Senior Member
 
NDSconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 100
Default

In the case of a child, when 4wheels change 3wheels, it is advantageous to adjust the total weight of the wheel as possible.

For example.
Wheel weight of 100mm x 4 is about 124g x 4 = 496g.
Therefore it is 496g / 3 = 165.3g.

As mentioned above, there are currently no 165g of 110mm wheels.
Therefore, the loss of speed with decreasing weight of the wheel must be accepted.
Even if you are satisfied with the light movement of your legs faster,
It is necessary to take a method to reduce the speed lost by work the movement of the foot quickly.

There is a limit to the increase in the speed by enlarging the wheel size.

As the wheel size increases the overall weight needs to be increased.
Or, at least if you keep the same weight, you can easily gain speed increase effect.

Compare 100 x 4, 520g lap time with 110 x 3, 432g lap time.

To reduce weight, it is advantageous to reduce in boots and frames than wheels and bearings.

Therefore, please check the overall weight of your gear.

It is advisable to maintain the same weight with 100x4 weight and 110x3 total weight excluding boots and frames.
A way to reduce weight is to use a carbon frame or magnesium frame to reduce it.

In the case of children, now magnesium 110x3 frames are advantageous by weight.
For 110x3 magnesium frame for children It is possible even under 100g.
__________________
please understand, English even poor.
NDSconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 02:00 AM   #10
NDSconcept
Senior Member
 
NDSconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
because the deck height goes way up when you go to 3x110 which is the equivalent to having longer legs.

accurately pointed out this part.
It is a correct story.
It is advisable to check the height of the front deck as well.
__________________
please understand, English even poor.
NDSconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #11
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!
 
chuckboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Central, MA
Posts: 2,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
This is why my opinion is that a coach should make the decision. I have seen plenty of kids go from a small 4x100 to a 3x110 and have their foot speed SLOW DOWN!! Why? because the deck height goes way up when you go to 3x110 which is the equivalent to having longer legs. Most kids 3x110 setups have higher decks than my 4x110 which is just crazy for someone with short little legs. If you look at the right hand picture that NDS posted, you can see a prime example of why I don't advocate 3x110 or 3x125 for kids (hint: look at the left ankle).
Good points, as deck heights for different frames of the same type often differ. This is why I mentioned using 100mm wheels at first. Get used to the frame and 3 wheels, then make the move to a larger wheel. Again, a coach that can judge technique will be able to tell which frames work best for a skater. But it is often trial and error.
__________________
Inline: Simmons Full Custom(2) | City Run 4x110/EO 3x125mm | TLTF/MPC/Matter | Acer/Bones
Outdoor Quad: Bont Carbon Hybrid | Snyder Advantage | RAD Glide 80A | Qube 8 Ball
Indoor Quad: Reidell 911 | Roll-Line Mistral | Corey Super Enforcers | Bones Swiss
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #12
John8a
Junior Member
 
John8a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Good points, as deck heights for different frames of the same type often differ. This is why I mentioned using 100mm wheels at first. Get used to the frame and 3 wheels, then make the move to a larger wheel. Again, a coach that can judge technique will be able to tell which frames work best for a skater. But it is often trial and error.
I see your point. She is already 12, if i change the frame setup 3 X 110 now, i am not sure how long she could stay in this setup . Later years, Would it not be a bigger transition for her to move from 3 wheel frames to some hilo set up or to any 4 wheel setup?
John8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #13
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8a View Post
I see your point. She is already 12, if i change the frame setup 3 X 110 now, i am not sure how long she could stay in this setup . Later years, Would it not be a bigger transition for her to move from 3 wheel frames to some hilo set up or to any 4 wheel setup?
3 and 4 wheel setups skate differently. It probably wouldn't take that long to transition from one to the other but is there is no benefit using a 3x110 then I wouldn't do it. Going from a 12.0" 4x100 to a 2n2 hybrid to a 3n1 hybrid is pretty easy to do.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #14
NDSconcept
Senior Member
 
NDSconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 100
Default

144gx3=432g+124g= 556g (3n1)
144gx2=288g+(124gx2)= 536g (2n2)
144gx3= 432g (110x3)

As mentioned above, the competitive power is 110x3 + 100x1 condition is good.
1102 + 1002 frames tend to be dead storage.
There is a possibility that you will regret when you buy it.
Therefore, 1103 + 1001 or 1103, It is desirable to choose one of the two.

If you use 110x3 for competitive strength, you can maintain equal competitive power if you use 185g weight per 110mm wheel. (185g x 3 = 555g)

As the child in the growing season is using it, you are watching the future.
110x3 + 100x1 has no room for choice when a child wants to upgrade equipment, and it is troubled that it is necessary to exchange it to another gear.
110x4 or 125x3, you need to worry like this.
There is no such trouble when there is a financial afford.

Exchange with max125x3, it can be applied fluidly to children.
When 1103 is burden, it can be exchanged at 1003.
If you need better conditions than 110x3, simply replace with 125x3.
The ability to deal with the situation becomes active.
Also, in the future it is also possible to reduce equipment buy costs.
It is easy to check whether you can adapt it by replacing the 125mm wheel after using 110x3.
If it seems to be 125mm adaptation, you can buy and give better gear.
Because this is a child of growing up, it is impressive considering it.
If it is an adult, it is almost fixed, so choose according to your preference.

On the other hand, 110x3 + 100x1 or 110x2 + 100x2 has no room for selection.
To upgrade, you need to buy other gear.
__________________
please understand, English even poor.
NDSconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 05:31 AM   #15
slowsk8
Senior Member
 
slowsk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tukwila, just south of Seattle
Posts: 1,931
Default

At 12 years and about 4ft. 6 she might grow some soon.
If she skates well on a 12.0 frame with 4x100 wheels you might be able to go to a 12.8 frame 4x100. less then 1/2 in. more front and rear, should not take her long to adjust.
As some one said it should be taken up with the coach. Or someone on the team with some knowledge.
Not all coaches know that much about skates.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #16
spdkls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
As some one said it should be taken up with the coach. Or someone on the team with some knowledge.
Not all coaches know that much about skates.
Off topic, but...

Let's not forget that there are plenty of coaches/parents out there that are too arrogant to admit any wrongdoing when putting kids on wrong skate setups to push an agenda(brands they either sell or promote). I've seen plenty of kids out there skating the straights with there ankles in this position / \. I had my daughter on a high plastic adjustable boot modified to fit a speed frame. She was on it for 6-8 months till got better ankle strength. I put parents on the list because I've seem too many putting kids on low boots too early in my opinion.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #17
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post
Off topic, but...

Let's not forget that there are plenty of coaches/parents out there that are too arrogant to admit any wrongdoing when putting kids on wrong skate setups to push an agenda(brands they either sell or promote). I've seen plenty of kids out there skating the straights with there ankles in this position / \. I had my daughter on a high plastic adjustable boot modified to fit a speed frame. She was on it for 6-8 months till got better ankle strength. I put parents on the list because I've seem too many putting kids on low boots too early in my opinion.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.