S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old March 17th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #21
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
A 152 on a 7 Bont is short, so you are half way there. Moving the plate forward moves the front axle which is the intent, but it also moves the rear axle forward as well. This can be the point of concern but with proper derby stance it isn't really an issue.

Post up some pix of a side view of your Bont / Falcon + sk8s. Pix instructions are here.

BTW I was rolling my size 8 Bonts w/ 6.25" (159mm) Eagle + (That is what the plastic one is called right??) last evening.
The mount was done by the local derby shop here. I really had no idea what I wanted when I went in there so I let them choose the mount specs for me.

Once I tried them out, it felt like my balance was shifted way too far to the back, especially when skating backwards. I felt as if I would tip over on my toes or put too much weight on the front truck and veer out of control if I put real effort into my stride. Granted, I am coming from inlines so I didn't really understand if it was a problem with me or my skates

So I did more research here on skatelog and found out about the short forward mount and was intrigued... I decided to order another pair of skates DA45, short forward mount, so I could do a sort of comparo between the two. It's not SEDS, I swear

Here is my current setup...

Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #22
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

[QUOTE=Trixton;713867]The mount was done by the local derby shop here. I really had no idea what I wanted when I went in there so I let them choose the mount specs for me.

Once I tried them out, it felt like my balance was shifted way too far to the back, especially when skating backwards. I felt as if I would tip over on my toes or put too much weight on the front truck and veer out of control if I put real effort into my stride. Granted, I am coming from inlines so I didn't really understand if it was a problem with me or my skates

Pretty much what your pix look like. You weren't a toe pusher on your inlines, were ya??

So I did more research here on skatelog and found out about the short forward mount and was intrigued... I decided to order another pair of skates DA45, short forward mount,

Exercise caution here. Not all short forward mounts are created equal.

so I could do a sort of comparo between the two. It's not SEDS, I swear [QUOTE]

Hmm, in denial already I see.
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #23
Trixton

Quote:
Pretty much what your pix look like. You weren't a toe pusher on your inlines, were ya??
I don't have perfect form on inlines, but I'm not a toe pusher. I'm really just trying to describe the sensation I get when going backwards in these skates. I feel like I could be more over my toes and have lower stance if the mount was further forward.

Quote:
Exercise caution here. Not all short forward mounts are created equal.
Thanks for the note of caution, I am aware of this fact. My plan is to mount them myself with guidance from the forum. Foolish?

Quote:
Hmm, in denial already I see.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #24
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
I don't have perfect form on inlines, but I'm not a toe pusher. I'm really just trying to describe the sensation I get when going backwards in these skates. I feel like I could be more over my toes and have lower stance if the mount was further forward.

No doubt there.

Thanks for the note of caution, I am aware of this fact. My plan is to mount them myself with guidance from the forum. Foolish?
Not @ all. It is not rocket science. BUT you need to be able to hold your tongue just right.