S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 11th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #1
larryoracing

Wink God sent “Peter” to teach me how to skate.

The other day a young man (he’s 72) introduced himself to me and said “God told him to tell me, that he was sent to teach me how to skate”. “Yeah, right”, but I played dumb and I was very cordial, respectful and tentative. I think I possessed all the qualities of a fine young man (I’m 62) who is cordial, appreciative and respectful to our elders…lol!

Today he returned and stayed for our practice session. I think I actually saw him practicing some very advanced dances…like maybe the “Argentine Tango”?????.

He said “Larry, let’s see your outer back upright spin”. I proceeded to perform the outer back upright spin, but not very well. I have this common problem of not being able to get onto the OB Edge from the IF entrance.

He said “Larry do you know what side you use to get onto the OB edge”. I said “I assume the right side since that is the side performing the OB spin” He said “No, you use the left side/the left free leg to get you onto the OB edge”.
I tried the OB spin again and tried using the left side/the left leg to spin me onto the ROB edge. Wow, we were getting somewhere. I almost got it.

He said “slow down the entrance; give yourself a chance to get onto the edge”. He said “Larry you control when you get onto the edge, don’t let the speed of entrance dictate how you get onto the edge”.

“You determine when you want to get onto the OB edge, not the speed of the entrance which forces you to get onto the edge sooner than you want to. Enter at only ½ the speed you’re skating now. Slow it way down on entrance.

I tried and got onto the edge, slowed down and then made a very poor exit to the spin.

He said “Larry you don’t let the spin die down and exit, you control the exit and direct yourself out of the spin.””Point the exit in a certain direction behind you”. “Look over you left shoulder in the direction you want to exit the spin”. If anything the exit is faster and not slower upon exit.

I tried again and was really getting somewhere. Slow entrance speed, used the left free leg to pop me onto the OB edge, then without slowing down pressed the OB edge to direct me strongly out of the spin. Wow! Peter was really helping me. I have tried for months on this spin with poor results and in a few minutes Peter was teaching me how to get onto ROB edge!

Next we went onto the loop jump. He said “Larry I want you to direct/point the direction of travel for this jump towards the snack bar”. The snack bar seemed 100 yards away.

I traveled in a big circle entered the center of the rink, pointed and directed the travel/trajectory of the jump into the direction of the snack bar. This was kind of weird because you are skating backwards at speed and directing the direction of travel of the jump to a point over 100 yards away, that is behind you. I have never thought about directing a jump to point several hundred feet behind you, while skating backwards?????

It seemed to work. I was a little over rotated and hooked the jump at exit, meaning I was actually over rotated about ¼ turn.

He said “Larry you are really worried about completing the rotation for this jump, but actually you are over rotating this jump”. “Don’t try so hard, you don’t need that much rotation.”

Actually the next loop jump was almost perfect and scary at the same time. I had to rely on my own naturally ability to get the jump up around and not force the jump to over rotate it at landing.

It was amazing in a few short minutes I had the loop jump down, with no waltz jump at entrance. He said “Larry the waltz jump or three turn at entrance is a “crutch” and will result with a hook at exit, more times than not”, “It better to just skate backwards, and naturally go into the jump with no other assistance".

I have never in my life just popped a loop jump without some kind of assistance…like a waltz jump, three turn or etc. God had really sent me a gift of a “helper”. What a God send.

The next point will seem miraculous or unbelievable. Peter said “I have a present for you”. I said “really”. “Nobody ever gives me a present”. He pulled out his knapsack a folded piece of paper. It was my routine for next year’s regionals. It had all the placements for jumps, spins and footwork.

He said “Larry this routine has been specifically designed for you”. “Everybody skates different so they need a different routine”. “I want you to build up to the spins and jumps and I gave you resting places in the routine/diagram.

These jumps are placed so you can show off to the audience and the judges stand which was located on the piece paper. There were extra lines to add more foot work if I wanted/needed. He said “how long is your routine”. I said “2.5 minutes”. He said “perfect this routine will work great for you”.

Can you believe Peter only met me two days ago and was already designing my routine for next year’s regionals?

He said “Larry, I would really like to you put a routine for this year's regionals”. I said “if I can get the content I will”. He looked at me and motioned, I think we can get it.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani…God works in mysterious ways. Do you believe it?
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 01:47 AM   #2
amohrfeld

I'm having the same issue with the loop. I think that trick will help. And it makes complete sense. The beginning waltz was always making me hesitant. Have to check my balance before takeoff.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Amorhfeld, I agree...lol!

I agree, the loop jump is extra difficult. It is classified as one of the harder jumps. It is harder than the mapes, toewally, flip, lutz or salchow and that is why we have a tendency to telegraph, set up and take extra steps to prepare for takeoff.

It is not only ugly to skate that way, but showmanship wise and skating wise unattractive to take this big or small step or use any other trick to enter into the jump. They say we do this preparation because it makes the jump easier to perform. In reality it makes it more difficult to land, more difficult to continue the nice entrance and easy exit expected of a jump of this caliper and magnitude...lol in my humble opinion.

Good luck and we will see you at Nationals.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote