S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #1
73skater

Default Minnesota Half-Marathon...?

I'm considering skating in the Minnesota Half-Marathon (August 4th). Based on the results it appears the event (plus the running races) is well attended. I would like to hear from those who have been to this race.

How's the course? Organization of the event? Please give me the typical feedback and review of this event.

Normally I would just jump in with both feet when attending a new event. However, I will have just returned from a 10 day vacation a few days prior to the half-marathon. I truly would like to attend this event...but is the event worth the extra travel (about 7 hours drive)? The only other event I am signed up for is the NSIM. I like to add a new event whenever possible but my schedule and geographical location make it tough to add too many events other than a staple like the Northshore.
73skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2
SkateMO

This is a great event...it's well run, the course is pretty decent (as far as pavement goes and layout)...I highly recommend it.

In terms of the course, the pavement is good, not great (probably better than average). Parts of the course are pretty flat, and other parts are pretty hilly. I can't think of a super steep downhill that I would consider really dangerous, but there are some "hard climbs." The downhills seem to be more gradual (and longer). For a 1/2 marathon, I think it's a pretty tough course (if you're really racing hard and trying to break away).

Overall, it's a great event. Again, one of my favorites.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Alyosha

I'll second it being a great race. The course is pretty in a "city-scenic" sort of way. The pavement has a few rough spots but, over all, it's nice to roll on. With their being a running race as well, the numbers (and, thus, money) are pretty high which leads to a well run event. The hills are just enough to make the course interesting, and you go down as much as up, so it's not a brutal race.

I've done it for a bunch of years now and have never been disappointed.
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

I did it last year, it was my first skating event ever. Had an absolute blast! For me personally though; I can't justify the cost of traveling to skate for 45 or so minutes when there are so many full marathons to choose from. But if you can, then it's a really great race. I enjoyed it.
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #5
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I will be there this year. We have family in the Twin Cities which helps with the cost.
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
sxevegan

It is a great race. The road condition is good and the turnout is great. There is a lot to do before/after the race in the twin cities area so it is a nice vacation spot.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it there this year.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote