S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old September 24th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #1
AwkwardTurtle

Default What is the HDS?

The heel damper system. All I've heard from it was the fact that it can reduce the bumps you may encounter while skating. Does anyone use this with their Seba's? I would like to have the general idea of its uses, so maybe I may use it for the future. I believe this is applicable to everyone and anyone though. Information is information and helpful information is delicious.

Hey all you know-it-all-about-the-HDS's do you guys/girls have any preferences of the 4 available that come with the Seba Highs? There are the soft, medium, hard, and extra hard heels I've come to read about.

For geography in my neighborhood, I'd say we have decent pavement, though some places I must say are terrible and need to be paved :s! Do you think it would help if I switched the heels from time to time because in other places, the road or sidewalk is very.. bad. But if this magical HDS can solve something like that, it will really be magic! Ahahaha.. my lack of knowledge is saddening me.

Thanks in advance !
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #2
KryptoRon

Well, first of all changing the heel piece wont make your pavement any smoother . All it does is as you described, it dampens the impact of the little bumps in the surface.
Best way to explain it I think is to compare very rough and very smooth asphalt. If you're skating on very smooth asphalt you would be using the hardest heel piece, but if you'd be skating on very rough asphalt while using the hardest heel piece you will find that your feet will go numb from the vibrations. So by using a softer piece it'll reduce the vibrations and thus make them more comfortable.

Now actually the more and most important fact about the HDS is that the hardest heel piece also gives you the most control out of all of them. This is because the slightest pressure with your heel will move your skate, instead of being cushioned in a softer piece.

I experimented a bit with it but found that the hardest option is the best option for where I skate. Which I think goes for pretty much all slalom skaters because we all try to find an as smooth as possible surface to skate on

Oh and btw, there's 3 different heel pieces, the 4th is to put in between the liner and the piece .

That's as far as my knowledge goes about the HDS. Other people feel free to add/correct

~~~Ron
KryptoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #3
InlineLeo

The above is true. Actually it supposedly does fix vibration on rough surface, but at the levels that are not detectable by human sensor system
Inline skating is known to cause (theoretically) micro-traumas in knees because of vibration (the mechanism is similiar to tractor driver micro-traumas that can lead to arthrosis). So, the less vibration impact the better and, again, theoretically HDS may help. If you don't feel any difference with or without damphers it's a good idea to use them.

Another case is jumps: Seba High has relatively hard and stiff boot and damphers save the heel hits. Well, a bit But if you jump technically correct, that difference can be notable.

And the third and most notable case is that they change the position of your foot inside the boot. By making heel higher or lower you adjust the distance you need to put your knee forward while skating, also it affects the weight distribution. This can also be used to adjust the insides of the boot if your foot doesn't fit well. For example, my Igors (that are less than perfect in terms of universal fitting of different foot shapes) suit me nicely if I remove the dampher, but in this case the heel becomes too low and the new weight distribution forces me to pull myself forward.
InlineLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #4
AwkwardTurtle

Oh alright sounds good

Btw, how quickly is the process of adjusting them? as in switching them when you need to?
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #5
GregT

I don't use the HDS on my Seba Highs. Made me feel too much on my toes.

My Igors seem to have a bit higher heel by default, bit it doesn't seem to bother me as much.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #6
InlineLeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardTurtle View Post
Btw, how quickly is the process of adjusting them? as in switching them when you need to?
I don't know anyone who changed them more than several times during skates' lifespan. Usually people put them in or out to test out the difference and stay with their preferred variant for months. Maybe when changing radically the skating style they review their choice. The same is about Igor cuffs (you can use them or stripes). And I know only a few people who bothered to turn FR1 eccentric adjustable cuff and leave in non-std position. The same is with frames (High/Fr1/Igor frame position can be adjusted gradiently in transversial plane and in two or three fixed position in coaxial).
Only wheels are changed regularly by people who practice something else than slalom if they use rockered setup.
InlineLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #7
KryptoRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardTurtle View Post
Oh alright sounds good

Take of your skate, pull the liner out, replace the HDS part and stuff the liner back in the shoe. 2mins max .
But as InlineLeo said, most people test out what they like and stick with that. So no frequent switching needed.

~~~Ron
KryptoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #8
stacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoRon View Post
Oh and btw, there's 3 different heel pieces, the 4th is to put in between the liner and the piece .
Actually, the one with velcro on both sides is the 4th and softest option, and can be used on its own, but it can also be used as an extra layer between the liner and the other heel pieces if you want extra heel lift.

Basically, the point of the HDS is to let you decide where you want to trade off between comfort and responsiveness, and also to let you control how much heel lift you have. I use the softer ones, because I'm an old lady and my heels hurt too much with the harder ones.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote