S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:03 AM   #1
Goldiloks

Default Plate advice

Hey Doc,

I'm soon to buy a Riedell 120 boot for mostly outdoor rollerdance fun. I'm 170lbs, and will be skating on asphalt and concrete. No big jumps, just hops, shuffles, maybe some spins, and getting on down

Could you advise on the following plates for my intended use, and explain the main differences in these, and how they effect the skating?

RL Mistral
RL Dance
Arius

Thank you
Goldiloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiloks View Post
Hey Doc,

I'm soon to buy a Riedell 120 boot for mostly outdoor rollerdance fun. I'm 170lbs, and will be skating on asphalt and concrete. No big jumps, just hops, shuffles, maybe some spins, and getting on down

Could you advise on the following plates for my intended use, and explain the main differences in these, and how they effect the skating?

RL Mistral

Probably your best choice for what you want to do out of your selections. ~ 15 action. Sweet sk8ing plate with smooth quick almost snappy response on the soft green cushions. Down side.. The cushions are expensive if you don't get the right ones to start out with.. Don't need a toe stop?? The Giotto is a great choice with better wheel base selection and a better aluminum used in the plate. 7mm bearings

RL Dance

A bit more expensive than the Mistral. ~22 action which means it will turn more for the same amount of plate lean than the Mistral. Same expensive cushions. The Ring was the NTS version of this. It's discontinued but still may be around. 7mm bearings

Arius

Totally different critter. The action, while improved in the platinum version, feels odd to me. It ramps up real fast and pushes back real hard. Makes it hard to turn sharply. Even with all the butterfly cushions available, It still does not behave like the other 2 you are looking @. NOTE These use 8mm bearings.

Thank you
Since you don't seem to be afraid to spend money you may want to consider a Snyder Advantage.. Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Goldiloks

Thanks so much, Doc!

That's super helpful. I already own a Variant - with very squishy brown rubber cushions. ( I feel they are too squishy, perhaps because of my weight).

Is the Mistral a noticeable leap in skate experience from the Variant?

Thanks for the heads up about the RL cushions. Is this something I would need to look out for on both the Mistral and Dance? Could you confirm which cushions you mean from this page, as I'm seeing a lot of green

http://www.jandpsports.co.uk/cushions-suspensions

I'm not familiar with the Snyder, so I shall take a look (always glad of the opportunity to look at more skate equipment )

One, last thing. Plate size! My feet are 250mm (uk6/eu39). I've been advised to order a 6.5 or 7 120 boot (I can't try them on before buying). Which plate size would you advise for both Roll-line and Snyder? My Variant is a 150 (on a eu39 Reno hockey boot), which is as far as I'm aware a standard mount for this boot size. Any guidance here would be super!

Thanks again for your time, Doc. It is much appreciated.

Goldi

Last edited by Goldiloks; May 4th, 2016 at 07:54 AM.
Goldiloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiloks View Post
Thanks so much, Doc!

Glad to help. It's why I'm here.

That's super helpful. I already own a Variant - with very squishy brown rubber cushions. ( I feel they are too squishy, perhaps because of my weight).

Don't think that is the issue. I was running the soft greens @ ~ 105kgs

Is the Mistral a noticeable leap in skate experience from the Variant?

The main difference is the suspension. The Mistral and the Variant are both made from the same alloy. It is easier to tell the diff when the alloy upgrades.

Thanks for the heads up about the RL cushions. Is this something I would need to look out for on both the Mistral and Dance?

All the same critter except the Matrix.

Could you confirm which cushions you mean from this page, as I'm seeing a lot of green

http://www.jandpsports.co.uk/cushions-suspensions

Urethane...

I'm not familiar with the Snyder, so I shall take a look (always glad of the opportunity to look at more skate equipment )

I'm thinking you are in the UK?? Snyder my be priced out of range due to VAT.

One, last thing. Plate size! My feet are 250mm (uk6/eu39). I've been advised to order a 6.5 or 7 120 boot (I can't try them on before buying). Which plate size would you advise for both Roll-line and Snyder? My Variant is a 150 (on a eu39 Reno hockey boot), which is as far as I'm aware a standard mount for this boot size. Any guidance here would be super!

OK here is where the size thing gets tricky. UK mens or ladies 6?? even the eu sizes vary from manufacturer. How about an actual foot length in mm. Measured. Or you can measure your insole. Pay attention to the imprint of your foot.

Thanks again for your time, Doc. It is much appreciated.

Goldi

No sweat. Check your PM Box.
Old May 15th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Wouldn't an Arius also be harsh for outdoor skating? Road vibration would go up the wheel to the pivot, is that what they call the hinge thingy, and then to the plate.
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Wouldn't an Arius also be harsh for outdoor skating? Road vibration would go up the wheel to the pivot, is that what they call the hinge thingy, and then to the plate.
For my skate its the sidewalk cracks that kill., not really vibrations.