S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

View Poll Results: Your favorite speed skating boot (list in alphabetical order)
Bont 46 39.32%
Cado Motus 2 1.71%
Canariam 0 0%
Hyper 4 3.42%
Luigino 13 11.11%
Pinnacle 7 5.98%
Powerslide 14 11.97%
Simmons 18 15.38%
Verducci 4 3.42%
Other 9 7.69%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #21
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanyinline View Post
How do you like the 3-point system compared to the older, 2-point system? Can you comment?
I always liked the 3-point on paper - arches are stronger than flats, so stiffer with same material thickness, lighter @ same stiffness with less material. I like the 3rd mount in theory (and in practice) - I lost a middle bolt early on and didn't even notice until post-run inspection. I lost a rear one point later on and though I felt it and had to stop (moved the middle to the rear), it didn't drop me like it certainly would have on a 2-point. I've since started to loctite more frequently I can also say the frames (even the magnesium I'm on) are very strong - I'm a big dude and skate really hard on them..and I've even done 'stupid' things like go off curbs and down short stairs on them when doing SF city skates. They could care less what I do, indoor or out.

My RB Lighting05 was 165-ish mount, 2-point. Though that wasn't a speed skate, I was a chronic rear bolt breaker with them - broke bolts about once a year on them (and I'm far stronger/faster now than I was then).

I've also grown to love the low pitch - not sure exactly which pitch mine are but they're before Bont went back up for the standard option. The lower heel really helps me focus on driving with it. The skates feel extremely controllable and very 'flickable' vs other 110mm setups I've used, though admittedly briefly. They work very well for me...but if you want a fair, true comparison/discussion you need to talk to someone who has real experience with a real 2-point speed setup...and that isn't me
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #22
ncspeed
trouble maker :)

C I have skated on several boots, from the older powerslide c4,luigino's, mcdaneils,bonts, pass,ridell and some other custom boot maker, to pinnacle.

And from all those pinnacle is FAR the best I have skated on Period, and I have been skating for a long time and I have skated on all kinds of boots. But Jimmy has taken care of me when I have had problems, when I have visited him in GA and stay at his house, he has taken time to help me out if I have I need something adjusted.

But just over all since I know jimmy on a personal Level, I do have higher regards for him as a person and a boot maker.
ncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #23
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

I've had several boots.
Riedell....Junk
(2) Bont Hustlers.....Never comfortable
Bont Carbon Graphite....Very Nice
Simmons....Felt great, but they were a bit big.
Custom Harpers.....worst of all I've had (1995).
Custom Verducci's....Fit is great, but I don't like the way the mounting blocks are cast in at an angle. It's OK for outside, but not indoor.

I'm shopping for a new boot. It seems that the quality of all the mass produced skate products is very poor and inconsistant, so I'm leaning toward a Pinnacle or a Simmons.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #24
albanyinline
GT Speed (Albany, GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
It seems that the quality of all the mass produced skate products is very poor and inconsistant, so I'm leaning toward a Pinnacle or a Simmons.
I started with a Canariam Signo. Strong boot but have had hot spots.

One of my sons has a Luigino Victory and loves it.

[URL="http://www.albanygtspeed.com"]GT Speed (Albany)[/URL]
albanyinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #25
SIMMONS/SCHANKEL

Jim, I think you said it best; "Depends on who's making it". One thing to really look at here is the criteria of the subject. Although we are flattered to be ranked with the production boot making companies such as Bont etc. Simmons is more of a Custom boot maker as is Pinnacle. So maybe we should have a different thread that says "Who do you think is the best Custom boot maker". This I think would be more of an apples to apples comparison based on quality,construction design etc and the fact the we may make a 100 boots a year vs 100 boots per week. Just to clarify my last statement, I'm not implying that Bont and other boot manufacturers do not make quality, well designed and constructed products just simply pointing out Custom vs Production. Dave wants to be more like Ferrari not Ford if that makes sense.
Jeff Carnes
Simmons/Schankel Racing
SIMMONS/SCHANKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #26
albanyinline
GT Speed (Albany, GA)

Hi Jeff, I agree with what you wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMMONS/SCHANKEL View Post
Jim, I think you said it best; "Depends on who's making it". Simmons is more of a Custom boot maker as is Pinnacle. Dave wants to be more like Ferrari not Ford if that makes sense.
Jeff Carnes
Simmons/Schankel Racing
This poll is not designed to differentiate between custom boot makers. I can tell from personal experience with our skaters, borth You and Pinnacle are very well regarded.

The original question is a survey to see what type of boots people are using and liking. The sample size is really small and easily can be swayed by people using a particular brand.

Generally 90 to 95% of people would not need a custom boot becasue their foot anatomy is weel modeled by lasts being used. As Jim Larson noted, people may spend much more money by trial and error, by using off-the shelf boots, trying to find a good fit.

I am tending to go the custom route, because, I have increased my skating time significantly and currently do not have well fitting boots.

Thank you for your advice.

Old June 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #27
albanyinline
GT Speed (Albany, GA)

Default There is no dominant brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertkiwi View Post
I know, all those voting for Bont are obvious schills paid off by Alx in a devious corporate scheme to monopolize the speed boot market.
Powerslide and Luigino are really strong stock boot makers in the US. The two biggest custom boot makers Pinnacle and Simmons have really good reputations. (My comments pertain to the US, please, comment on other countries.)

Old June 8th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #28
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Regarding Bont husters: Yes they were junk!! Bont spent quite a few years experimenting and learning what works and what doesn't - during this time some weird products made it to market. Some stuff worked and some didn't...that's the nature of continuous technology development.

The fact that Bont went through the entire development learning curve, and have actually tried many many ideas and learned what works and what doesn't, gives me far more confidence than some new-on-the-block vendor that just copies (and changes) someone else's current model boot without truly understanding what they're doing.

Anyhow, suffice to say that today, the products coming out of Bont bear no comparison what so ever to the stuff produced in the mid to late 90's...so if you're basing your knowledge of Bont on a 10+ year old product, please reconsider before you disregard!!!
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #29
chacata
Skinsuited at last

Merlin is totally right. It's not fair to judge bont for their older products. Even i had the opportunity to hold a pair of broken hustlers. I had two pair of bonts with like two to three years of difference in man. date and they where utterly different in craftmanship and quality. However there were some bad quality boots later like the shark 2 I think they were from synthetic materials or something.
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #30
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacata View Post
However there were some bad quality boots later like the shark 2 I think they were from synthetic materials or something.
I think that all the manufacturers turn out the odd dud design every so often...especially at the budget and of the market - for example the cheapo powerslide boot that is made out of fibregass.
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #31
mikeyb

I have fairly new custom Bont Apaches. This is my favorite speed boot thus far. My priors were a Powerslide C4 and a McDaniels. The Bonts are light rigid and comfortable. Though they are built tight to all parts of my foot and ankle, I have had almost no hot spots. My skating control seemed improved from the very first stroke.

These were casted with me standing and that worked well to produce a boot with the right shape. I'm flat footed but they were casted with a minimal generic arch under my foot. I didn't want the sole of the boot to be too flat. Also, the ankle cuff is completely effective as it gives good skating support and can be tightened without any ankle bite. I'm not sure whether Bont has truly figured out the ankle cuff or their cuff happens to work really well for me.

Hopefully I'll feel this way about these skates in 6 months.
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #32
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Regarding Bont husters: Yes they were junk!! Bont spent quite a few years experimenting and learning what works and what doesn't - during this time some weird products made it to market. Some stuff worked and some didn't...that's the nature of continuous technology development.

The fact that Bont went through the entire development learning curve, and have actually tried many many ideas and learned what works and what doesn't, gives me far more confidence than some new-on-the-block vendor that just copies (and changes) someone else's current model boot without truly understanding what they're doing.

Anyhow, suffice to say that today, the products coming out of Bont bear no comparison what so ever to the stuff produced in the mid to late 90's...so if you're basing your knowledge of Bont on a 10+ year old product, please reconsider before you disregard!!!
Just another question regarding Bont. Did they at some point in the late 90's make an ice specific Hustler? The overall fit of that boot wasn't terrible since it was my first low cut boot, but the asymmetric mounting holes were what really made me think that the quality was junk. It didn't occur to me until I saw the mounting cups on short track ice blades that these may have been made for that. If so, why did an inline only shop have them?
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #33
godzilla
Red Magic wheels

The hustler was an ice boot. That's why they had a 165mm separation and 10mm blocks. At the time, we couldn't make enough of them as they were the best mid range boot on the market. Of course you can't compare them to modern boots because that is like comparing a car in 1980 to one made in 2008. There have been a lot of advancements since the days of the Hustler. At the first inline worlds, Bont boots won every title, there was no other suitable boot on the market. The other boots on the market at the time were long track boots like Viking with no support. People continued using Hustlers for years mainly because they were so comfortable and out last was so good. Many of the modern brands poured plaster into the Hustler to make their first lasts and more than one current boot maker has told us that they pulled a number of hustlers down to work out how to start making boots. The Sharkie and Hustler are still the same design that all modern speed boots are based on. It took a few years before Miller brought out a competitor to the Hustler but the Hustler still sold way more than any other brand. There was also a variation called the Blue Bottom which was made for Hyper. Even when i tried to kill the Hustler off because it looked dated, people insisted on ordering it as they knew that if they looked after them that they would last 10+ years. You still see 15 year old Hustlers often appearing on Ebay.

The boot before the Sharkie that pioneered all major advancements was the Bont custom. Before the Bont Custom, boots did not have fiberglass bases or adjustable mounting.

Below is a historical list of Bont ice/inline boots from 1974-2005.

alx
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #34
albanyinline
GT Speed (Albany, GA)

Default History

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
Below is a historical list of Bont ice/inline boots from 1974-2005.

Alex, thank you for updating us. Bont is doing really well in our poll.

Mmm..., I started thinking. Maybe Bont was willing to sponsor our team (we could work out the datails later. )

Tibor

Old June 9th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #35
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Alx,
Are the prices on the Bont web site correct?
$1435.00 for a off the shelf, Vaypor package. I can't get parents to spend that kind of money.
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #36
godzilla
Red Magic wheels

$1400 is cheap when you compare it to products in other industries. You get a hand made boot with 100% carbon fiber, a magnesium frame made in Holland, wheels made in USA from very expensive urethane and bearings made in Switzerland. It is a top of the line racing package and I don't expect parents to pay for a Vaypor package. A short track custom boot or a custom cycling shoe will set you back $1400 without any wheels, frames or bearings. For most people, a Jet package for $475 will suffice.

alx
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #37
godzilla
Red Magic wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMMONS/SCHANKEL View Post
Jim, I think you said it best; "Depends on who's making it". One thing to really look at here is the criteria of the subject. Although we are flattered to be ranked with the production boot making companies such as Bont etc. Simmons is more of a Custom boot maker as is Pinnacle. So maybe we should have a different thread that says "Who do you think is the best Custom boot maker". This I think would be more of an apples to apples comparison based on quality,construction design etc and the fact the we may make a 100 boots a year vs 100 boots per week. Just to clarify my last statement, I'm not implying that Bont and other boot manufacturers do not make quality, well designed and constructed products just simply pointing out Custom vs Production. Dave wants to be more like Ferrari not Ford if that makes sense.
Jeff Carnes
Simmons/Schankel Racing
I strongly disagree with this point. Although Bont does make more custom boots than all the other brands combined, each and every custom is hand built by one person (apart from the sewing which is done by a professional sewer) from the inside out.

A more apt analogy would be that Bont is like a Porche 911 Turbo, insanely fast yet livable as a daily drive.

alx
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #38
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
You get a hand made boot with 100% carbon fiber,
alx
Is there an automated way to make speed boots?
That is interesting. I'd like to see video of that.
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #39
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

1400 is (imo) way to high for an off the shelf setup, I sell a full stock package for $995, and my highest end setup is $1095 for a stock setup..

EDIT,.... i just realized, my top end CUSTOM Tsunami boot, ION avenger frame, Liberty bearings, and MPC wheels, sells for 1445....
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #40
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
Is there an automated way to make speed boots?
That is interesting. I'd like to see video of that.

in china
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote