S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 21st, 2006, 12:56 AM   #1
6APPEAL

Default New Jason McDaniel Custom Skates

Got my new Jason McDaniel customs Friday. Skated the Saturday afternoon session at the rink. Skates feel great with only the cuff bothering me since it is so stiff. The leather should break in with more skating. I compared the heigth to my old Kaiser, 4x90 Milleum setup and I'm actually 2mm lower. I can't wait to get some outdoor miles on them.
6APPEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:42 AM   #2
ncspeed
trouble maker :)

I know how you feel, I just got my full excalibour custom saturday and it feels funky going from a stock boot to a full custom, also it seems a lil more difficult to adjust the frame on a custom boot since you really dont have a point of center like you do on a stock shelf boot and btw the cuff on mine is really stiff, and your boot really nice looking boot, about 4 people on my team has those now and me and another skater have the excalibur now, I will take a picture of mine soon to show, and just incase any one is wondering who makes the excalibur it is two guys out of Winston Salem NC, one is the coach for Ultimate Speed John Mann, and the other guy is a ref out of HP name is carl.
ncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM   #3
SkateSkateSkate

Those boots look really nice. I've heard about them but thats the first time I have seen them.
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #4
speedskater574

Smile

Yeah Jason is on my team and I am getting one of his boots! He is very talented. almost everyone on the team has his boots and I dont think anyone has complained yet. So I am super excited and cannot wait until they are done.
~Jessica~
speedskater574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #5
ncspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedskater574 View Post
Yeah Jason is on my team and I am getting one of his boots! He is very talented. almost everyone on the team has his boots and I dont think anyone has complained yet. So I am super excited and cannot wait until they are done.
~Jessica~
Hey does any one know how to get ahold of jason, no one has heard from him since he left Greensboro NC, and he took a pair of boots back to do some work on and was suppose to mail them out and it has not been done yet, and alot of people have tried to call him with no luck.
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6
dmoore
Stand and Deliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncspeed View Post
Hey does any one know how to get ahold of jason, no one has heard from him since he left Greensboro NC, and he took a pair of boots back to do some work on and was suppose to mail them out and it has not been done yet, and alot of people have tried to call him with no luck.
My last contact with him was in Sept., 2006 at the following:

Jason Mcdaniel
mcdracing@hotmail.com
(417) 459-2537

Good luck

- Dennis
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #7
6APPEAL

860+ views, WOW ! No wonder my picture trail account has so many hits. I love the boots, but haven't had a chance to skate in them much since the rink caught on fire 3 months ago and hasn't re-opened yet.
John
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #8
skatersrefuge
www.spyder-rentals.com

Wuts up 6Appeal! Glad you like your McDaniel's boots. He really does a good job and am looking to get a pair for myself. I remembered Jason doing a bunch of castings for people at the Northshore Inline Marathon and he was just swamped!

I guess he's going to be increasing his price soon as he was just giving an introductory rate to get his name out. For the price you're paying on his custom boot, it's not a bad deal at all.

Dave Chu
Skater's Refuge
Fairfax, VA 22031
www.skatersrefuge.com
www.skatersrefuge.com/forums
dave@skatersrefuge.com
skatersrefuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #9
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Quote:
For the price you're paying on his custom boot, it's not a bad deal at all.
How much are we talking?
Is it like Simmons?
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #10
6APPEAL

My best friend skates on the same team as Jason, so I got the team price. Jason's price is WAY lower than a full custom Simmons.

Now my wife wants a pair since her feet "grew" during 2 pregnancies. She used to wear a size 38, now they don't fit (too short). Her quads no longer fit either (same). She says she wants a new pair of quads first so she can skate with our oldest daughter. We've had our 3 year old on quads since just before she was 2. Now if the rink would just re-open after a fire back in late October. Scheduled to re-open later this month.
John
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #11
mikeyb

Hi 6appeal.

It's been 4 or 5 months. How're those new boots doing? I've been shopping for new boots and am considering (among other things) going back to speed boots and, remembering you posts, called Jason McDaniels today. Certainly was really knowledgeable on the phone. Did you mold your own foot? Were there any adjustment problems? and how is the support and function?

Mike
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #12
6APPEAL

Got your e-mail, replied back. Love my boots, just have not been able to skate since the rink only re-opened last weekend after the fire. It's been too cold and wet to skate outside much. Cold I can stand, wet is what my boots will not get.

I did not do my own molds. My buddy that skates on the same team did my molds.

The boots fit me like a glove. I can run wide open with no laces in the boots. The cuffs are still super stiff, but there is 7 layers of leather there. So right now I don't lace through the top hole and they feel great.

My McDaniel's are not my 1st pair of custom boots. I will say that they feel alot like my 1st pair of Harper's. Which makes sense, since Jason worked with Brad Harper. I've had 2 sets of Harper's (loved them), Simmon's (love/hate relationship), Kaiser's (love them, but the ankle leather has stretched out so they a little big, still have them, may use them for ice) and now McDaniel's (love them). I would not have bought them except that I wanted to go to long mount 100mm frames. I was skating on a short mount 90mm rail on my Kaiser's.

I need to call Jason and see about getting my wife's feet moulded.
John
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #13
mikeyb

Thanx for the update, 6APPEAL. Think a health care worker with no prior skating experience could help with the cast??
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #14
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I skate with 2 skaters who purchased pairs of full customs McDaniel's just after the indoor nationals last July. Both received their boots by September and have been on them for almost 6 months now.

Both skaters love their boots. They both say they're the best boots they've ever had.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #15
6APPEAL

Jason doesn't use a casting sock. His molds are taken in 2 pieces, so I don't think someone without experience could do his molding process correctly.
John
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #16
mikeyb

Thanks John. I spoke with Jason (who sent a casting video) and also Brad Harper about his boots. Both think a casting by someone like me (ehem) and a helper could work. Even though I'm a confident handyman, I'm probably not going to bet the price of a custom boot on it. Only Bont has someone in my area doing molds, they guarantee the fit if he does it, so I'll likely go with them. I'll still review Jason's video.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #17
6APPEAL

Seeing as how you are a fitness skater, I would advise shaving your toes and about 3" above your ankles. Pulled hairs don't feel too good.
John
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #18
ncspeed

I got molded by jason at Roanoke and what he does is put some plastic around your toes and used dish soap on your leg so the casting does not pull on it
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #19
6APPEAL

The plaster still stuck on me. Ouch! I forgot to shave.
John
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #20
mikeyb

My wife already thinks I'm nuts! If she sees me shaving my toes, it'll be the last straw.

NCS, you're getting another boot? I guess indoors and outdoors?

I better review that video.