S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old March 5th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1
batterin' gram

Default Great Lakes Regionals

Does anyone have the dates and location for the 2012 Great Lakes Regional Speed Skating Championship meet? Please post it here if you do.
batterin' gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #2
kufman

I know it is near Detroit in June, but I can't remember the exact specifics. I think Liz has it written down and I will ask her when she gets home.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
kufgirl

It is June 9 & 10 at Skate Station II.
kufgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #4
batterin' gram

Thanks. It is now on my calendar.
batterin' gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Nevilove1

Default More Details

Does anyone have any more information/details?

Who would I contact to sign up? Can you sign up the day of? Will they have quads? And if so will they go before inlines or after (no point in tiring myself out on quads if they are before.) How much does it cost? How many people are usually there? Anything else you can think of..

This would be my first time to a regional event, and I'm pretty much on my own as far as figuring registration and everything out. Thanks for any info you may have!
Nevilove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:06 AM   #6
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilove1 View Post

Who would I contact to sign up? Can you sign up the day of? Will they have quads? And if so will they go before inlines or after (no point in tiring myself out on quads if they are before.) How much does it cost? How many people are usually there? Anything else you can think of..

This would be my first time to a regional event, and I'm pretty much on my own as far as figuring registration and everything out. Thanks for any info you may have!
Sadly there are no quad regional events anywhere around the country, as Quad Nationals is an open event and no one needs to qualify in advance.

If you also skate on inlines, you should see about contacting the Great Lakes Regional meet director. USARS would be able to tell you who that is and give you contact info.(go to www.usarollersports.org, look for the contact info. I would direct this question to Ricci Porter). I know in our region (our Regionals were last weekend), all entries had to be in a month in advance, and I think that is a USARS rule. But not sure if there is leeway, especially if you are skating "unattached" or basically on your own.

Good luck.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Jim White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilove1 View Post
Regionals are usually just to qualify for Nationals. As J/K said, if your goal is to skate quad Nationals, there's no need to skate Regionals (and you can't in quads).

For inlines, the registration date is probably long past; you could contact Ricci Porter at 402-483-7551 for a possible exception, and other information. To skate Regionals (and/or quad Nationals) you must be a USARS member, which is another cost; I don't know whether Derby membership would apply. Probably over 100 skaters at some Regionals.

If your goal is to compete, Regionals may not be the best. In some age categories, there may be just one skater. And, because the goal is to be in the top 4, and thus qualify for Nationals, some skaters don't try their hardest (best not to hurt yourself and be unable to skate Nationals well). For competition, perhaps best to skate a League meet, starting this fall; watch for announcements here, or post a question then. (Leagues can combine categories; in the Great Lakes League you'd never skate alone.)

Regionals registrations are normally done by a team coach. If you're not on a speed team, ask Ricci about ones you could join and/or how to register next year without a team.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #8
skategael

The deadline was the 14th.
Last year there was about 200 skaters, if I remember correctly.
Individual event is $40. Don't remember what relays, extra division events were as I'm not skating any (LOL - you think I would know these things, as my Dad is the meet director)
As far as I know, derby membership would not apply. You have to pay for each type of membership I believe.
Probably doesn't help you out for this year, but info ahead for next year. And, I wouldn't think you would have to belong to a team, either. I believe you can skate "unattached" just as you can for NTLS.
skategael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #9
skategael

Another GL Rgls is in the books.
Thanks to Sue & Chuck for a nice venue and to all the officials and skaters for keeping things moving right along........we got out an hour early on Sat!!
Saw lots of new kids there this year.............to which I say YAAAAAAY.....the future of our sport!!!
skategael is offline   Reply With Quote