S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old November 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #1
KeLLy

Default Anyone alive here still ?

Hey guys.....

it's so quiet in here.... Hybrenating?

Well, i found a really nice, always dry with excellent tiles, spot to practice slalom. It is in the middle of the city tho and all tourists pass there to, so that should give extra motivation to improve ^^ . (coz i'm really a shy woman).

So i had a go with cones (plastic picknick cups), 50 cm... wtf that's no where near enough space... 80 cm .... nope, still not enough.
so i tried 120 cm - and tried fish, cross and snake, and fish backwards - It LOOKS so much easier then it is! But i had fun - had to stop coz my right foot started aching (i broke something in my ankle once).

So thx all for your advise (on equipment mainly). If you have some more for a noobie like me, keep it comming plz .
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #2
mentally dull

LOL - practice in front of tourists, excellent... most of us hide away somewhere!
the approach is correct - start with long spacing to get the idea, and then shorten it. why not go from 120 to 100 before you git 80? and yes, 50 is very very short, I always feel that my skates are soooo clunky!
and build up your efforts slowly - slalom (and freestyle generally) is quite hard on the ankles and feet, so give them time to adjust. And make sure you don't pronate or supinate constantly, it can be tempting, but you'll get the best pressure spots, like, ever
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #3
KeLLy

"pronate or supinate" ... you mean leaning on the inside or outside of the wheels?

And you shouldn't hide... if you want the sport to be known more you gotta go out there!

of you go the the townssquare !

edit :http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?i...brugge2ym6.jpg
right in front of the building (sheltred from rain), is my spot
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
mentally dull

oh, we DO go out and show the things we can do ... it's just that most people prefer to get past the 'I'm looking hopeless' stage with as few witnesses as they can get away with

and yes, I'm talking about braking the 'line' between your shin and your wheels - freestyle requires a good amount of this, a it is tempting to over-do it. pronate is to the inside, supinate is, ah, I'm sure you can guess
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #5
KeLLy

bah, i never look hopeless

Nah, I just haven't found a good spot with no witnesess. But I don't care for what tourists think... . Anyone who laughs at me, i'll just say i just got started and invite them to try it themselves / coz it is a lot harder then it looks.

But i need to get a lot better before spring is here. That spot will be occupied by people who are much better then me, and i don't wanna make a fool outofmyself then.

For some reason (probly rain), skating seems to be an "only summer thing".
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #6
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

I thought pronation was the way the sole of your foot flattens out when you step on it. Usually you talk about pronation when you are getting fitted for sole inserts.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #7
Cowry

I guess you could call it 'flatten out', but when you pronate your ankle will be more to the inside of your foot, giving more pressure to the inside than to the outside. So when you get fitted for sole inserters, they will take into account if you're someone who pronates or supinates, to correct this as much as possible. When you're a (serious) runner, for example, you should get your feet messured before you buy your runningshoes. Some shoes are more suited for pronating people, some are more suited for supinating people. Ofcourse there are also plenty of 'neutral' shoes; wich you should buy if you don't know whether your one or the other and don't want to get it messured either.
Cowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Vinz

Yep still alive

Just spending some time outside, around the cones
PS : some competitions are taking place in Lille (or Rijsel), not that far to see other skaters & give a try ...

If you need more information, ask me at vincent_vuvankha@hotmail.com
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM   #9
KeLLy

Lille is pretty close, yep.
bout 1,40h on train.

Been there last weekend for the wine fair.
Enjoyed some very good Bourgondy wines .