S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Jan van Deinze

Default Which skates would be best?

Hi all,

Yes again someone who wants input for buying new skates.
Up untill now I've been riding Rollerblade crossfire TFS, 84 mm. They've lasted for 4 years, riding about 3000 km a year. Most rides are around 40 km's with an average around 16 to 18 km/h.
I've already decided to have a little bigger wheels (90 or max 100) and the following skates seem attractive (at least on paper):

Rollerblade: Crossfire 100, or speedmachine Rx100
K2: Mach 100, Radical 100 or Moto 100
Powerslide: Phuzion 6 Men

Any input is welcome.
And of course feel free if you have any other suggestions.

Greetz,

Jan van Deinze
Jan van Deinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #2
tjw

I was always a K2 fan, tried Rollerblade, have the speedmachine rx 100, and they are great. There's one opinion for you. Also, did like the Motos, just wanted a change, as I have been on K2s since '93.
tjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Major Wood

I've always been a K2 fan myself. There is just something about Rollerblade that I don't like.

I just went through getting new blades, so I've just been through some of the same choices you are looking at.
To give you an idea of my background, I started on similar skates to what you have now. I had K2 Exo 2.0 skates, which have a 4x80mm frame. I've been skating on K2 Moto Extremes, which are basically the old version of the Mach 100 skates.
In my search for new skates, I was basically torn between the K2 Radical 100/Pro and the Rollerblade Speedmachine. I ended up buying the K2 Radical 100 boots.

After my experiences, here is what I suggest for you (I can't comment at all on powerslide):

If you want to go with larger wheels, your choice is easy. Go with the K2 Mach 100 boots. They are a great way to ease into skating larger wheels. They still offer plenty of ankle support and have a much shorter frame length than what you will find with your other options. This will allow you for easier maneuverability without clipping your wheels. This is not to be undervalued as you learn to skate larger wheels.
The Radical 100 is definitely a skate for someone who is more experienced with large wheels. The frame length is longer, making it easier to clip your wheels against each other, or the ground. There is ankle support, but significantly less than that of the Mach 100 boot.

I wouldn't actually recommend Rollerblade over K2 when it comes to this type of skate unless you have quite a bit of weight on you.
Major Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Jan van Deinze

Default New skates

Hi all,

Many thanks for your input.
So it seems K2 people always go back to K2.
The last reply, what do you mean that Rollerblade is to consider when you have some weight? Are they heavier? Or what other reason is there?
What I would actually prefer is a skate which comes with 90 mm and on which it's possible to put some 100 mm afterwards.
Apparently this is not so easy to find. And most people tell me to do the other way round. To buy 100 mm skates and then fit 90 mm on them. The only problem is then the brake which might come too low. I defenitely need a break, because I mainly use the heel stop.

Any more input is welcome.

Greetz,

Jan
Jan van Deinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Get whichever fits bets between the RB and the K2.

If you decide on K2, then get the Rad if you want to be a speedskater when you grow up. Get the Moto if you want to go up and down curbs, skate in traffic, or other crazy stuff like that.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #6
mikeyb

I'm an ex-K2 fan. My main boots are custom Bont speed boots but used the K2 Pro as back up. Last year I went on a group skating tour of Colorado trails and brought both my speed boot and my K2 ProRadical as back-up. My Bont was so fast on the Colorado hills that I spent the whole time braking and wearing down my wheels. I switched to the K2 for the rest of the trip because it is slower (same frame geometry as my speed skate 2x110/2x100).

I had previously hardly used the K2 so this was my first extended experience. After a few days with them I resolved to shelve them. The main reason is the boot. The ankle support is fine, but I didn't like the way it held or, should I say, didn't hold by foot. The soft boot of the K2 provides absolutely no structure past the heel so that the forefoot and midfoot have no more support than if they were in a simple sneaker. For me, this is OK on a shorter 11" frame. But on the longer speed frame, it lacks directional control. For this reason, I felt these suck.

This year, instead of having a back up 'speedness' boot, I bought a regular fitness boot and got the Rollerblade SX90. This is strictly a fitness boot with and 11.2" 4x90 frame. It's designed to accept other frames if I want (including the rollerblade speed frame). The boot is far better to my eye than the K2 in that it has real structure in the shoe portion and is still reasonably light (for a non-speed boot). I haven't had reason to mount a bigger frame to this as I have speed boots. But the skates are quite fast, for what they are, and even on this shorter frame I can draft bicycles and such (until I croak). Of course, I got these so it's easier to skate in traffic and to skate with my kids (who use fitness skates).

Mike B
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote