S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old November 7th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #4921
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Nov 7 -- am Off

Drove in again three quarters of the household is sick And I'm just barely hanging on!
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #4922
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Nov 7 Ring around the airport at lunch. 10.45 miles in 51.5 minutes. Cold and windy, lots of junk on the trail. Just not feeling like jumping the lights to trim off that last 2 minutes or so. Going to hit indoor speed this evening.

This time of year, it doesn't feel like training, so I haven't been posting. I'm out mostly just enjoying the scenery, reveling the the feeling of motion without motors, and exploiting the capabilities I have developed over the last two years.

I'm also suffering the karmic blacklash of ordering custom skates. Ever notice that when you splurge on something, suddenly a lot of expensive things go wrong?

Who knew that cheese was dangerous?
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #4923
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Nov 7

BWI trail
10.8mi, 42:46min, 15.2mph

First exercise in 9 days. Must have just missed Dev Gnoll since I started at 12:15 PM. Passed another fitness skater with no safety gear. (Organ donor)
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #4924
darthmaulher1138
eat, breath, SKATE!!!!

Hi darth,
Yes, I'm the speed coach at Skateland. And thanks for the compliment about the team...With your comment about the fast skate, you must be trying to keep up with Andrew and JaPrea. I'm at the rink for Sunday night session.

I used to practice sunday nights there, but now I have allstar practice in port orchard and the two overlap (boo!). We are having our next bout at skateland (yay!!!!) on January 25th (unless something conflicts). There is nothing like the skating on the classic wood floor, it really is my favorite! Anyway, enough sidetracking, I'll probably see you at the rink, maybe you could give me some speed pointers since I'm a jammer and speed is what I live for.
-Darth Maul'Her #1138
darthmaulher1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #4925
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Nov 7

BWI trail
10.8mi, 42:46min, 15.2mph

First exercise in 9 days. Must have just missed Dev Gnoll since I started at 12:15 PM. Passed another fitness skater with no safety gear. (Organ donor)

You just did. I started at about the same time 180 out of phase.
10 mile pursuit anyone?

Glad to see you're out of the Doghouse.

Old November 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #4926
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Gnoll View Post
Glad to see you're out of the Doghouse.
Thanks. It's a little bit more complicated than just that. You see I became too addicted to skating and it started to get in the way of life, as everyone around me was sick of me, skate this skate that. So I had to put myself in the doghouse and stop skating.
One day last week I had a revelation. I don't have a problem, it's just my alter ego that is a Skataholic. So I sent him to the doghouse, and told him to stop talking about skating to anyone around me, and even in the forum he is banned from talking.
Now I just skate a little bit here or there just to retain what I built up, and to get the heart pumping once or twice a week.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #4927
skaterdog

Quote:
Thanks. It's a little bit more complicated than just that. You see I became too addicted to skating and it started to get in the way of life, as everyone around me was sick of me, skate this skate that. So I had to put myself in the doghouse and stop skating.
One day last week I had a revelation. I don't have a problem, it's just my alter ego that is a Skataholic. So I sent him to the doghouse, and told him to stop talking about skating to anyone around me, and even in the forum he is banned from talking.
Now I just skate a little bit here or there just to retain what I built up, and to get the heart pumping once or twice a week.
I'd guess a lot of us deal with that issue to a certain extent, Sheldon. A friend of mine was so obsessed he bought a rink a couple of years ago. Sounds like the family had to do an intervention on you. With all the miles some of us put in I'd guess there are a lot of similar stories?
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #4928
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
With all the miles some of us put in I'd guess there are a lot of similar stories?
...that would be putting it mildly.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #4929
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
With all the miles some of us put in I'd guess there are a lot of similar stories?
It’s all relative. Compared to many of those on this forum, I barely skate at all, and when I do I go so slow only my GPS can tell you whether I’m moving forward or backward. Yet in the eyes of everyone else I know, I’m Sir Skatesalot and probably break the sound barrier while brushing my teeth in the morning. So I can only imagine what some of you peoples’ friends and family must think.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #4930
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Default 11/7

Indoor practice.
30 min. fitness & dry land skills.
20 min. rolling skills.
40 min. pack skills. Passing, jumping, and bridging.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #4931
JandKLarson

More Cowbell!!! We missed you!! Welcome back!!

Quick catch-up:
Sat. 11/3 - 3 hour indoor practice. First hour just advanced/adults. Warmup pace with lap the pack. Then a very long pyramid relay drill with 4 person teams. With the rest of the team - dryland and plyos, technique drills, progressive starts, catch pace, short races, stretching.

Sun. 11/4 - Keystone Speed League, Meet #1, Frenchtown, NJ. This rink has a very narrow and smaller floor and a particularly bad fall of a Classic lady, who is a friend, occurred during an elite race on the NIRA track. Given the size of this particular rink, skating the NIRA track is tricky at this rink, in my opinion. This woman caught her own foot coming out of the corner and did a face plant into the floor and into the concrete wall. There were concerns that she may have injured her neck/back and she was utlimately airlifted out to a trauma hospital. Fortunately, she is okay, no neck/back injuries, but a split lip, bruised ribs and floor burns. My races went okay, as I don't usually skate great on this smaller floor anyways, but my own racing was a bit more hesitant after this bad fall. Overall, though, largest # of skaters I've seen at the first league meet of the year in the past several years. There were 3 heats of Juvenile boys! Kevin is not skating the league this year, and he concentrated on coaching all our new little kids who were attending their first indoor meet.

Mon. 11/5 - 2 hour indoor practice. After my less than optimal performance at the league meet, I went in to practice with the mindset to skate a hard practice and run races the way I know I can. After some long technique drills, we ran a bunch of races and I felt vindicated. After viewing a video of one of my races from the meet on Sunday, I need to work on running all the way down the straight to the first cone. The video showed that I seemed to stop about halfway, take a couple straighaway strokes and then stepped into the corner. So, concentrated on this as well.

Tues. 11/6 - off

Wed. 11/7 - 2 hour indoor practice. Dryland/plyos, lots of technique drills, some races, relays and the last few minutes, we played tag on skates. Technique drills are getting easier in general and moreso on the 100s than I felt on 90s last year.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #4932
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
So I can only imagine what some of you peoplesí friends and family must think.
I told them about you and they were polite about it, but I don't really think we should talk about it here.
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #4933
speedysktr
President of Everything

wait for it...
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #4934
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Hi Julie!

12.75 easy miles, untimed. Off to bed early, I have a tummyache.

249 days till 24Hours Inline Montreal 2008...
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #4935
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Wed. 11/7
am-Went out for a run for the first time in quite some time. Thought I'd at least be able to do a 5k. Ha. Legs started cramping after 1 1/2 miles. Ended up with 2.08 miles in a painfully slow 18:44. Makes me like skating even more.
pm-Gym
back
chest
shoulders
abs
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #4936
Mom Deb

Still working on it.....

November 2nd
20 miles

Nada for 3rd & 4th

November 5th
8 miles in Flatwoods--I think it was 8.2 mi/hr

November 6
15 miles in Flatwoods at 8.4 miles/hr
Mom Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #4937
joshr

Had a great yoga class. I specifically asked for ankle strengtheners since it was a small class. We did a long warrior 3 we also did one where you sit with your legs folded under you and your ankles flat. It's very unpleasant, but I sort of like it, but I was thinking it's probably great for those of us with speed boots.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #4938
speedysktr
President of Everything

Hi Mom, 43 miles over 5 days is pretty awesome. Keep it up!!! Three time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond had a pretty awesome quote that a lot of us are proof of:

It never gets any easier, you just go faster.

That sort of changes as your technique evolves. Some stuff gets easier, but the concept is that once/if you get bit by the speed bug, you pretty much have one speed and that is "as fast as you can".

Happy trails, mom.
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #4939
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:

Been there. That's one of the reasons I bought a road bike. When the family gets tired of skating, skating, skating, I can blab about cycling for a bit. Think of it as cross-paining.

Nov 7, PM Indoor speed, 2 hrs. I didn't get lapped in the 10 lap "hammer-coaster" race... that's a new one for me. And I lapped someone in the 15 lapper

Old November 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #4940
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

November 4

2 hour outdoor practice on a middle school track - fun!!! I got a little bit of a chance to show them I'm not a complete goofball. I was able to keep up to almost the end on nearly everything.

November 6

AM - 20 mile bike ride, fairly easy
PM - Indoor practice, 1 1/2 hrs. I was a little more aggressive this time, passing people on the relays, staying on the floor out of turn, etc.. After practice I was told I would be promoted to group 2 out of 3 starting next week. Yipppeee!!

November 7

20 mile skate, kind of easy - just practicing getting lower and skating to skate.

Off topic, but wanted to share the delightful surprise I got this morning in my bag of grapes.