S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old August 12th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Thumbs up NSIM 2016... Teams !!!

This looks like so much fun!!! I wish we could pull together 5 from Cedar Rapids. If I could convince one guy to come out of his family/kids induced hiatus and then pick up one solid gal... we'd have one heck of a COED team!
Old August 12th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #2
kufman

Sounds like fun!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #3
bjvircks
Major Trouble

back in Sept 2013... Mr.T commented on INLINEPLANET about "the end of outdoor inline skating in the us as we know it?" the trends discussed have continued to track the same direction, unabated.

http://community.inlineplanet.com/fo...age=2#comments

He made several points on ways to work at revitalizing our appeal... and "team skating" was #6

6) What is missing altogether in inline right now is the notion of team.
Sure there are a few good teams, but the main qualifier is "few".
We need to create a team event, one where being part of a team actually matters and means more than wearing the same skinsuit.
For example, instead of the combined event why not having a team event?
It would be more unique and change the perception that inline is pretty much an individual sport and, actually a lonely one at that, if you have about 100 skaters sparse over a 8 miles loop or something like that.
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #4
SkateMO

So, is Northshore doing a "team race" in 2016? I haven't checked the website.

And, definitely not taking credit, but I recently mentioned team skating as a way to revive Chicago.

One of the absolute best events in North America is the Montreal 24-Hour. If you are lucky enough to go to that event, I can almost guarantee it will be one of the most fun races you ever compete in.

Another great event was the Metrodome race. I actually hated skating in the Metrodome, but being able to work with 4 or 5 other people to achieve a common goal was very rewarding.

So, I think this is a great idea...if in fact, team skating is happening. I do think it's difficult when you have events that are mixed though...meaning individual entries, along with team entries. At Duluth, many of the top skaters (open, master, vet, etc) are going to opt to go solo. So, team skating probably won't take off in the elite groups. But, I see it working in the rec / advanced waves. I think the events that truly shine with team skating are the ones that have the team element as the primary focus (again, Metrodome, Montreal). You could skate solo at Metrodome or skate solo at Montreal, but the heart and focus of the races revolved around the team events.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #5
bjvircks
Major Trouble

"Teams" ... I think they've always been one of the best kept secrets of NSIM.

This year they sent out emailing mentioning teams. edit: never been for pro/elite

for a while I've seen that they've mentioned on the NSIM website the options for company, organization, club, family teams, etc. I've not hung around for awards and so do not know if any of them get recognition.

============================================

Race Teams/Skate Clubs (Inline Full Marathon)

Team Divisions: Male, Female, and Co-Ed

*Co-Ed must have at least 2 Male and 2 Female, and a total of 5 skaters or more.

Any Race Team, Skate Club or other formal or informal group of skaters can create a team to compete in this Male and Female division. Requirements are:
1.The total times from the top 5 skaters in each team will be combined to compete for an award
2.No Elite skaters are eligible for this award

Any Race Team, Skate Club or other formal or informal group of skaters can create a team to compete in this Co-Ed division. Requirements are:
1.Two Male and Two Female skaters must be included in the total times
2.The total times from the top 5 skaters in each team will be combined to compete for an award
3.No Elite skaters are eligible for this award

RULES

All Teams must submit a roster identifying all members and the Team Captain(contact person). Only non-elite skaters may participate in the Team Challenge.

Team Challenge Entry Form
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #6
usask8er1
Matt

The team idea was a blast for us and really brought a whole new element to the race.
usask8er1 is offline   Reply With Quote