S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old August 1st, 2017, 01:51 PM   #1
bazzmac

Smile New build general speed skates

Hi DocSk8,

I wanted your advice on building a set of speed skates. I used to skate as a young teenager about 35 years ago and have young kids that are getting into it and I am back at the rink most weekends.

My local rink has a timber floors but I'm not sure if it's slippery or not?

I want some skates that allow me to have fun with the kids and join in the fast skate with the gun skaters. I know that a crappy skater on the best skates money can buy can't compete with a good skater on crappy skates so I'm not kidding myself that I'm a gun. however I was almost keeping up with the guns after 4 sessions back after 35 years on hire quad skates which was a decent effort so I'm not totally hopeless.

I purchased a cheap pair of used skates online a few weeks ago but have only skated one session at the rink on these however once I got a bit of speed up I was just sliding on each turn when doing the crossovers and I just had no grip at all on the corners.

My skates have metal plates that are stamped with FLYER 5 then underneath it says 18. The wheels are zenith huggers they are red. The skates are from 1980's but not exactly sure what year of the 80s. They are 7mm axles.

I have already purchased a set of bones Swiss bearing as found a guy selling them cheap so snapped them up, I know bearings get you the least amount of bang for your buck however my plan is to upgrade the bearing, boots, wheels maybe plates depending on your advice.

I have purchased a pair of soccer boots that I will mount on the flyer plates if you say they are ok?

If not what do you recommend, please? I just skate the session at the local rink and go in the fast skate and the games of tag...

I have the bearing and will grab a set of Aussie Scott's wheels (the correct hardness for my local floor) and hopefully be able to teach those young guns a thing or two.
What hardness do you recommend? I don't do any outdoor skating.

What do you think about my plan, please?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Cheers baz
bazzmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 12:07 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzmac View Post
I wanted your advice on building a set of speed skates. I used to skate as a young teenager about 35 years ago and have young kids that are getting into it and I am back at the rink most weekends.

Welcome back.

My local rink has a timber floors but I'm not sure if it's slippery or not?

Didn't you say further down the page that your new to you sk8s are sliding out?? Seems the floor is slippery to you... Dig back thru some of my discussions on all the things that a floor can do to you... It should put you in the correct direction.

I want some skates that allow me to have fun with the kids and join in the fast skate with the gun skaters. I know that a crappy skater on the best skates money can buy can't compete with a good skater on crappy skates

Until the crappy sk8r get better... Then look out.

so I'm not kidding myself that I'm a gun. however I was almost keeping up with the guns after 4 sessions back after 35 years on hire quad skates which was a decent effort so I'm not totally hopeless.

Sounds like it.

I purchased a cheap pair of used skates online a few weeks ago but have only skated one session at the rink on these however once I got a bit of speed up I was just sliding on each turn when doing the crossovers and I just had no grip at all on the corners.

My skates have metal plates that are stamped with FLYER 5 then underneath it says 18.

Heard tell of those, but have never had my hands on any. I believe those were "economy" speed plates back in the day. I suspect the 18 is the wheel base (distance center of the front to center of the back axle) in cm. I'm sure any one down your way that reads this will be glad to enlighten us further.

The wheels are zenith huggers they are red. The skates are from 1980's but not exactly sure what year of the 80s. They are 7mm axles.

What year exactly is not real important.

I have already purchased a set of bones Swiss bearing as found a guy selling them cheap so snapped them up, I know bearings get you the least amount of bang for your buck however my plan is to upgrade the bearing, boots, wheels maybe plates depending on your advice.

Be careful of cheap Bones. Lot of fakes out there.

I have purchased a pair of soccer boots that I will mount on the flyer plates if you say they are ok?

Lotta folks have been quite successful w/ that approach. The key thing here is do the boots fit and how stiff are the soles. If the plates are in good mechanical condition, they should be fine for hooning about on the rink floor.

If not what do you recommend, please? I just skate the session at the local rink and go in the fast skate and the games of tag...

I have the bearing and will grab a set of Aussie Scott's wheels (the correct hardness for my local floor) and hopefully be able to teach those young guns a thing or two.

What hardness do you recommend? I don't do any outdoor skating.

How high is up?? You need to talk w/ Scott. For that matter, chat up any of the locals and see what they are rolling.

What do you think about my plan, please?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Cheers baz
I see no reason why your plan would not work although a 18 cm wheel base is quite big. What size are your feet?? Basic size as long as you identify whose sizing you are using..

Now after digging back onto the quad forum, I see you are in Brisbane. HeBeGB is the local Doc Sk8 equivalent. I'm sure he can point you right.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:18 AM   #3
HeBeGB

Default Local

Thanks for the props, Doc

I am assuming that Stafford is your local? We should get together for a skate
Les might come for a roll too, and we can discuss some options. Boot size? and do you prefer Toestop or NTS?

Last edited by HeBeGB; August 2nd, 2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: More info
HeBeGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up Props??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
Well earned sir, well earned.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:23 AM   #5
leshomes

Default I'm keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post

I am assuming that Stafford is your local? We should get together for a skate
Les might come for a roll too, and we can discuss some options. Boot size? and do you prefer Toestop or NTS?
Let's do it👍
Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:06 AM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Hmm

I fear poor Bazzmac is in for quite the SEDSing.