S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old January 26th, 2016, 03:09 AM   #1
danomite33

Default Speed bumps

I bolted on my outdoor wheels today and away I went. Rolling 78s and having a good time....right up until I rolled up to the bike path speed bumps intended to slow the bikers down in high pedestrian areas. I had a 20 knot wind to my back and going slightly down hill. The worst part is that I knew the speed bumps were there, I failed to look farther down the path and let my mind wander. I looked pretty ridiculous as I came to a crashing halt. My wife says I looked even more ridiculous than when I ride my unicycle. It is very very hard to earn respect in my house. At least there were no broken bones.
danomite33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:56 AM   #2
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danomite33 View Post
I bolted on my outdoor wheels today and away I went. Rolling 78s and having a good time....right up until I rolled up to the bike path speed bumps intended to slow the bikers down in high pedestrian areas. I had a 20 knot wind to my back and going slightly down hill. The worst part is that I knew the speed bumps were there, I failed to look farther down the path and let my mind wander. I looked pretty ridiculous as I came to a crashing halt. My wife says I looked even more ridiculous than when I ride my unicycle. It is very very hard to earn respect in my house. At least there were no broken bones.
Hey, I have a unicycle. Can't ride it. Any tips?
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:24 AM   #3
BigFoot

Got floored, eh? Which one got you? The wide asphalt mounds are pretty skate-friendly, so you must have hit a rubber/plastic hump or rows of pavement buttons/ Botts dots.

Or was it the dreaded of all skating obstacles, the Yellow Bumps of Death? AKA, Surface Indicators or Truncated Domes. They warn blind people of a drop off or a street crossing. The intention is good, but the design sucks. They are a tripping hazard. Yet they keep getting installed. Stop the madness! Re-design now! At least shorten the width of the Death Bumps so people can step or jump over them.

The Death Bumps usually stops skate wheels cold, but one time I was able to cross a patch by plowing through it at high speed and leaning way back. I made it, but just barely. Trying to walk your skates through is even more scary. Itís easier and safer to jump the curb and go around them.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #4
danomite33

Derrick: I learned from watching youtube videos. But after 3 years, I'm still not very good as I can ride for miles in a straight line but after that it's pretty ugly.

Bigfoot: they were not the Bumps of Death. Better skaters would no doubt have a better outcome than I did. I'm still very very new to the skating gig. Lurking on this forum, many people seem to really enjoy the outdoor experience. While I can say that I have skated outdoors, I have yet to have any enjoyment. However, we do have miles and miles of "smooth" exercise trails that can be fun if I improve. I hope I can survive the learning curve!!!

Last edited by danomite33; January 26th, 2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #5
danomite33

Hey Derrick, what size uni do you have? What style riding do you like best?
Old January 27th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #6
Fancy-Kerrigan

Yes! Yellow pads of death. Total respect for skating over it without falling. I jump them.
Regular speed bumps are fun. A tip would be to bend your knees and stager your feet. Or jump it
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danomite33 View Post
Hey Derrick, what size uni do you have? What style riding do you like best?
I don't ride it at all, we are way off subject here, but I keep it around to humiliate the neighborhood kids who try to learn it. I'd like to at least be able to sample it for them, you know.... as bait. Obviously I'm the one being baited though. But I can learn in secret without the humiliation since I own it.

It was a garage sale find. It's adustable but I don't know the size. It has the quick release nut that you might find on better quality bikes.

As far as the speed bump thing, I, being a begginer outdoor skater, seem to be committed to jumping the darn thing about 10 feet in advance. Changing your mind is worse than the jump.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 06:59 PM   #8
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
Yes! Yellow pads of death. Total respect for skating over it without falling. I jump them.
Regular speed bumps are fun. A tip would be to bend your knees and stager your feet. Or jump it
yes, all of that. Bend knees, push one foot more forward than the other, shift weight to rear axles, and stick your butt way out in the back so all your weight is back instead of over your feet. That way when you hit any kind of bump or debris (if you are able to see it coming) you don't pitch forward so much as force your feet to trudge on ahead of you snow-plow-like. Not a very good description, but I grew up skating with my Dad on our bike trails (before I ever saw inlines come around) and we had a bridge that was a wood slat bridge and it gave you a good vibration when you went over it... considering it was at the bottom of a tremendously steep hill that you couldn't brake on. lol