S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1
OzSkateGuy

Default Slideboard Help!!

Hello

So I have splashed out and bought myself a 10ft G1 slideboard and had it shipped to Australia. Then I broke my arm (non-skating, crash landing a hang-glider funny enough though my humerus didn't think so).

Anyrate I have laid open the board, put the bumpers at 6ft, pulled the booties on and can't slide more than 5ft. I have wiped it down with Pledge and still cannot effortlessly glide from side to side.

Ideas?

I was hoping to do some easy work while off-skate before rejoining my speed skating group in a couple of months. Now seems like a waste of money.

Cheers
OzSkateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:28 PM   #2
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSkateGuy View Post
Hello

So I have splashed out and bought myself a 10ft G1 slideboard and had it shipped to Australia. Then I broke my arm (non-skating, crash landing a hang-glider funny enough though my humerus didn't think so).

Anyrate I have laid open the board, put the bumpers at 6ft, pulled the booties on and can't slide more than 5ft. I have wiped it down with Pledge and still cannot effortlessly glide from side to side.

Ideas?

I was hoping to do some easy work while off-skate before rejoining my speed skating group in a couple of months. Now seems like a waste of money.

Cheers
Does the broken arm have your form off? Not enough knee bend to get a good push?
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

A sheet of 3/4" plywood cut in half, 2 4x4 sheets now, put a 2x4 under the middle, now you've got a slightly raised platform, a little gravity working for you, when you get comfortable get back on the flat.

The 3/4" shouldn't move(bend) but a little reinforcement in the middle might be in order.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

My thought was deeper knee bend, and better weight transfer in the push using "the fall" technique. Also, make sure you are pushing through your heel/middle of the foot.

The other question that is more related to the board is whether you feel heavy resistance in the slide. If so, that is an indication that it is a problem with the surface. I would be surprised if that is the case, but it is something to consider.
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #5
PBLsQuad450

I suspect, as Donny raised, it's the surface. Mine is a roll up type, Powerslide, and it is a PITA to keep slick enough to make it worth setting up. Between skipping around when I hit the bumpers to constant spraying, the interruptions get more time than the form training. I'm exaggerating a little, but that is my experience. I will try to use it more and better next winter. Or maybe sell it and put a few bucks toward a solid board. If I can't sell it maybe I will try to figure a way to make it the surface of a solid board?
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #6
cass38a

I was at ikea and looked in their bargain corner, managed to get a 8ft long gloss white kitchen pantry door with a small chip in the corner for about ten bucks (can't remember the price but it was cheap and I had a couple to choose from). Took it home added some timber bumpers and have a board that works well.

I had no intention to make a slide board but when I saw the door I couldn't pass it up............. I don't use it now though as its boring as all hell IMO.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

More explosive effort? Maybe try wool socks instead of there booties. Take the board outside and spray with "oven cleaner" very slick when dry. Good luck!
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
... I don't use it now though as its boring as all hell IMO.
I was hoping hell wouldn't be that boring....
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #9
PBLsQuad450

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamline View Post
More explosive effort? Maybe try wool socks instead of there booties. Take the board outside and spray with "oven cleaner" very slick when dry. Good luck!
Lye? Really?
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #10
cass38a

Oven cleaner And leave it on forever .........won't that melt the board and burn your skin etc.

I used some big woolen socks stretched over my shoes and they work OK but did wonder if having some booties would be an improvement, decided it wasn't worth the effort to find out.

Giving the board a polish with some car polish might slick it up a bit. When I was a kid mum had some ironing spay that if it over sprayed onto the kitchen floor had the entire family walking like a dog on Lino for days. I can't remember what it was called but when I visit her next week I will look in cupboard as there is probably some still there.
Old April 28th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #11
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450 View Post
Lye? Really?
Sorry I was in a hurry, I meant oven cleaner fumes. Make a plastic tent for the board and place an open dish of oven cleaner in with it. I creates a dry slick surface, not sure how long it would last. When my mother cleaned the oven me and my brothers spent hours skating across the floor before it got washed. It was super slick.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #12
WildBill

Maybe give this a go. Not sure how well it works, but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.ultraslide.com/ultraslide...hp?page_id=190
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #13
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
Maybe give this a go. Not sure how well it works, but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.ultraslide.com/ultraslide...hp?page_id=190
Spray on silicone lubricants work also, and are much cheaper than Ultraslide spray. A buddy of mine has an Ikea door set up (I look every time I go but haven't found one yet), and he uses a product called Blaster that he got at the hardware store for $3.

Booties can be worth it, but they cost money. Wool socks are the cheap alternative.
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:43 AM   #14
slowsk8

I wonder if the OP has checked back or given any thought to any of the ideas?
Would be nice to know if he got it working and what the fix was?
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #15
cass38a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
I wonder if the OP has checked back or given any thought to any of the ideas?
Would be nice to know if he got it working and what the fix was?
Old mate passed away in a bizarre oven cleaning/skinsuit accident.........the police have reported it is best left unexplained.
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #16
dthamm
Half-Fast

I built one recently using Kevin Jagger's excellent post:

http://www.longtracklongshot.com/Blo...-hockey-inline

cost me like 30 bucks, works awesome -- only down side is that it is VERY heavy and takes up a lot of space!
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #17
PBLsQuad450

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Old mate passed away in a bizarre oven cleaning/skinsuit accident.........the police have reported it is best left unexplained.
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #18
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

For those that live by an Ikea, and are looking to get a surface for a board, Ikea builds a lot of their furniture from laminate. They occasionally have sheets of it on sale. A couple of weeks ago, I piked up a sheet of 8x3 laminate for $10. Other hardware to complete the build should put me at a cost of around $25 or so. Check the As-Is section or Handy Person's Corner.
Old July 5th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #19
Quadtastic
Quads live!!!

Maybe spray the slideboard with Mr Sheen, very slippery. Once my mum spilt some on the floor, it was so slippery.
Quadtastic is offline   Reply With Quote