S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 26th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #1
AwkwardTurtle

Cool Energy Food!

Hey guys/girls again, do you guys have any good suggestions for energy before a skate? Like a particular snack, fruits, rice, bread? No energy bars please >.< they aren't very natural to me. If you have recipes you'd like to share for the best energy before a good skate, feel free to post them! +1 for helping the community!..? o.o

Maybe I'd eat some fruit before I go out but I usually don't eat anything, when I should! Though after skating, I head over to McDonald's to get me a smoothie It's really a nice feeling when you can sit in a/c with a nice yummy drink to hydrate you! Though, being the only in-liner who goes in there with my skates on, you get people looking at you funny! *ignore* lol
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardTurtle View Post
...they aren't very natural to me. <snip>
I head over to McDonald's to get me a smoothie
heh heh heh.
Some fruit juice or just anything with some calories beforehand will help. Bananas digest pretty easily for me, even while I am skating. Bread goes down pretty easily too. Honey works, too.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #3
chaos4ever

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio -- where the wheezing just never goes away

I generally avoid simple, processed sugars and eat a something decent at least 90 minutes before skating. Mostly involving bread (complex carbs) and meat (and vegetables); as little greasy food as possible. If I'm really in a pinch, fruits, especially bananas, do wonders.
chaos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Hammer Nutrition has all natural products including bars and they have great articles on what and when you should eat.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #5
ONOU

Some great information Lenny, thanks!
ONOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Slimyfrog
Grandmaster Beginner

Bananas, raisins or wrap a yam in plastic wrap and microwave it for 5 or 6 minutes.
Slimyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #7
online inline

Oh, God! Never microwave anything wrapped in plastic wrap!

Man, i love yams. I have elevated them to the level of a super food, ever since Usain Bolt's father disclosed his son was raised on a steady daily diet of yams after winning most everything in the last Olympics.

Just microwave them in a paper towel rather than plastic. I hit the auto setting for whole potato.

Usain is the man! Even if he did just get beaten by the U.S.'s Tyson Gay.

in terms of the topic- it doesn't really matter as long as you are well hydrated and aren't so famished that you are distracted. I happen to like a squirt of Hammer Gel for some quick energy, but i only use it about this time of the race season as i'm stoking the training fires. The rest of the year, i just drag my tired butt out there.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #8
Slimyfrog
Grandmaster Beginner

Quote:
Oh, God! Never microwave anything wrapped in plastic wrap!
I use microwave safe shrink wrap made for food.... Not a trash bag. It doesn't heat with microwave and the yam will never get hot enough on the outside to melt it.
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #9
chaos4ever

Plastic food wrap is known to leech BPA (in general). Something you probably wouldn't want to ingest.
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Slimyfrog
Grandmaster Beginner

I changed all my bottles and plastics a long while ago. There's no BPA in this wrap.
http://www.glad.com/faqs/plasticwrap.php
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #11
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimyfrog View Post
I changed all my bottles and plastics a long while ago. There's no BPA in this wrap.
http://www.glad.com/faqs/plasticwrap.php
Glad cling wrap contains the following warning. It would be all the warning i would need to avoid using it to heat foods to high temperatures in the microwave (another words, i wouldn't use it in the microwave):
Quote:
GLAD Cling Wrap is not heated by microwave energy, but it will become heated by contact with extremely hot foods. Normally, foods in a microwave oven do not become hot enough to bring the wrap to its melting point. However, certain foods with high fat content (such as butter or bacon) or with high sugar content can become very hot in a microwave oven and should not come in contact with our wrap. If you wish to use our wrap when heating such foods, we recommend that at least an inch of air space be left between the food and the wrap covering the dish.
Form your own conclusions. For me, it's easy enough to find other convenient alternatives. I wouldn't take the chance, but i understand that many other people would, or do. Again, a paper towel serves the same purpose, and it's less harmful to the planet.
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Slimyfrog
Grandmaster Beginner

I can see your point. I tried the paper towel, but it doesn't seem to cook it as quickly. I don't eat the skin so i'm not terribly worried about what the plastic might do, which is probably nothing.
We should cook our yams in our favorite way. Truly earth-friendly ways include gathering fallen wood, starting a fire pit and cooking it on the embers. Not so friendly way, wrapping it around the barrel of an M80 and heat it up while shooting baby rabbits.
Then there's anything in between to strike a balance with convenience.
Still... this thread has derailed so I'm going to let it rest. Yams are good energy food. Cook them as you please.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #13
online inline

i've got no problem derailing any conversation when it comes to talking about sustainable ways of doing things.

I think the most "green" way of cooking the yams would be to microwave them, in a microwave safe container (such as pyrex of glass). They are re-usable and nothing is wasted (not a piece of plastic nor a paper towel). I would do that, but i am just too lazy and don't want to wash the damn thing when a paper towel seems so inconsequential, and i can use the paper towel as the napkin anyways - or re-use it to microwave the next thing or two.

Really, every little bit helps. I think it's our responsibility to find ways of doing things on a daily basis which minimize the negative impact we have on the planet, so that our children can enjoy the same quality of life and same environment that we have.

P.S.- We have rid our house of all plastics a couple of years ago. No tupperware, no plastic bottles. We use stainless steel "Klean canteens", and microwave and store stuff in glass containers.

Good talking with you.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #14
MachV

You could just eat them the way nature intended: raw.
Heat destroys most of the nutrients which are in the skin.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #15
online inline

i don't eat the skin. The thought of eating the skin of something that grew in contact with fertilizers and such....

I think overcooking can zap some nutrients of certain vegetables, but i try not to overcook them. I eat broccoli and beets, among other vegetables every day, and i microwave them for a few minutes so they are the equivalent of lightly steamed. I don't eat the skins of the beets, either. And for that matter, i peel the skin off the stalks of the broccoli- becuase they are just too tough to digest.
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #16
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

"A yam is a yam is a yam. But down South we calls 'um Sweet 'Taters and eats um ever way we kin. Aint that rite Jethro?"

I microwave a fist size 'Tater after piercing the skin and wrapped in a paper towel for 2 minutes. Turn that sweet thing over and zap it again for 1-2 minutes. Cut it in half, scoop the sweet stuff out of the skins and throw the skins away. Mix the sweet stuff with a little honey in the blender with some orange juice, whip it up and you've got yourself an energy drink that will get the job done.

After skating, I recover with a smoothie made of 6 oz. of milk, one scoop of protein power, and a few chunks of frozen pear, and honey or Splenda to taste. Whip that up and it's sweet and cold as ice cream. Yum, Yum! Had one this morning!

Sounds so good, I think I'll do it again tomorrow, so ...

LezSk8!
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #17
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
"A yam is a yam is a yam. But down South we calls 'um Sweet 'Taters and eats um ever way we kin. Aint that rite Jethro?"
Fascinating.
But while Jethro may tell you that that is "rite" (you do call yams sweet potatoes), he might also tell you that you are calling it by the wrong name, if you do. And he would be right. They are two completely different vegetables, regardless of how similar they may appear to be.
I only know because where i shop, they sell both, and i always figured that they must be different if they were bothering to distinguish one from the other.
http://homecooking.about.com/od/howt...potatodiff.htm
Bon appetit!
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #18
MachV

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
i don't eat the skin. The thought of eating the skin of something that grew in contact with fertilizers and such....
And you think the inside of a permeable membrane didn't get touched? lol.
If it's in the soil, its in whatever is in the soil.

Get a jar and fill it with water, put the yam in, add some dark blue dye and leave it a couple of days. he he.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #19
chaos4ever

Scrub yams under running water with bristled brush.

Into the oven, uncovered, unwrapped, over foil (to prevent messy cleanup).

350-375F for 3-4 hours to let the yams soften and sugar caramelize a bit.

Best food ever when fresh and piping hot. Including the skin.

Tons of energy throughout the day.
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #20
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I enjoy an apple and a cheese stick or two 30 minutes prior to skating. Drink plenty of fluids.

Yams are good and the skins are excellent. Scrub them well. We slice them up like french fries and bake them, with skins. You can use a bit of butter if you like living dangerously.