S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 12th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Default High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

New research is showing that HIIT has greater benefits than regular hour long workouts in only four minutes. HIIT gives a natural boost to human growth hormones (HGH) production. HIIT has also been shown to significantly improve insulin sensitivity, boost fat loss, and increase muscle growth.

According to Japanese research, a mere four minutes of exercise performed at extreme intensity, four times a week, can improve your anaerobic capacity by 28% and VO2 max and maximal aerobic power by 15% in as little as six weeks.

Researchers have repeatedly confirmed the superior health benefits of HIIT compared to traditional and typically performed aerobic workouts.

An example of a HIIT cardio workout would be a three minute warm-up 30 seconds of high intensity then 90 seconds recovery repeat eight times and cool down for two minutes, three times a week. The higher the intensity level the greater the results.

HIIT strength workouts are done very slowly. For example a benchpress should take about three seconds to push the first inch and then with as much effort as possible, it will still be slow, do that till muscle exhaustion then do the next muscle group. Each muscle group should onlt be worked out for one set (muscle exhaustion). One workout twice a week is said to produce better results than three one hour workouts a week.

Work smarter not harder!
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

FYI HIIT is something people have done for a while
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #3
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
FYI HIIT is something people have done for a while
Yah, it was designed in the 70's by the inventor of the nautalis equipment. They are still doing studies on it however. Plus alot of people may have heard of it, but not to many really understand how it works. It is a shorter wayto exercise but it takes a major amount of intensity to get great results.
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #4
PBLsQuad450

Arthur Jones was ahead of his time! Training depends on the goal ultimately, but HIT has a place and sport science is showing it. HIT values rest. And I think that is revolutionary in some ways. I think it is a component in any thoughtful training plan. It may not BE the plan, but it is an important piece. I feel the same way about Pilates. Components have a place in every training plan. Just a precaution... With lifting, which is what Arthur Jones was really all about, be careful. You need to be conditioned before moving into HIT. I have used it as a time limited chunk of my lifting plan and I will keep pieces of it, but lifting to failure is grueling and potentially dangerous. And HIT only works if you are really doing it. And really doing it hurts. And self inflicted pain over a long course of time is hard to maintain.
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #5
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450 View Post
Arthur Jones was ahead of his time! Training depends on the goal ultimately, but HIT has a place and sport science is showing it. HIT values rest. And I think that is revolutionary in some ways. I think it is a component in any thoughtful training plan. It may not BE the plan, but it is an important piece. I feel the same way about Pilates. Components have a place in every training plan. Just a precaution... With lifting, which is what Arthur Jones was really all about, be careful. You need to be conditioned before moving into HIT. I have used it as a time limited chunk of my lifting plan and I will keep pieces of it, but lifting to failure is grueling and potentially dangerous. And HIT only works if you are really doing it. And really doing it hurts. And self inflicted pain over a long course of time is hard to maintain.
That is so true. There is a major emphasis on rest and recovery, fact up to five days rest is within the guidelines. Better over rested than under, one should be biting the bullet to get back at it. Being fully rested allows one to achieve the intensity needed to get to muscle failure. This is a workout for those who are very serious, it's a very greuling workout even if it's done in under twenty minutes. From what I hear the results speak volumes. I plan on doing the cardio version once skating gets going full time. I'll hit the gym between 1-3 times a week for twenty minutes of hell.
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I guess my daily HIIT training is counterproductive then. However, if it weren't for it, I'd weigh 300lbs. literally
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #7
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

My skating is more like Super High Intensity Training, and it shows.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamline View Post

HIIT strength workouts are done very slowly. For example a benchpress should take about three seconds to push the first inch and then with as much effort as possible, it will still be slow
Stupid and contradictory.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
Stupid and contradictory.
Condescending and rude.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Condescending and rude.
Your point? Wasn't directed at you...wasn't directed at the OP....

Sorry but "strength and slowly" don't belong in the same sentence.
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #11
slowsk8

Quote:
Your point? Wasn't directed at you...wasn't directed at the OP....

Sorry but "strength and slowly" don't belong in the same sentence.
Why not? Speed and strength are not the same thing. Being strong might make you faster but being fast does not make you stronger.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #12
PBLsQuad450

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Hahahahaha!!!!
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #13
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Why not? Speed and strength are not the same thing. Being strong might make you faster but being fast does not make you stronger.
Lmao..knew you'd come in...

Shows how little you know about the evolution of strength training since say you were in college....

Why don't you scientifically explain to me how lifting a submaximal weight, slow can make you stronger?
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #14
slowsk8

Quote:

Shows how little you know about the evolution of strength training since say you were in college....

Why don't you scientifically explain to me how lifting a submaximal weight, slow can make you stronger?
I don't recall saying any thing about "submaximal" weight.
Can't see how lifting a "submaximal" weight fast will make you stronger.
Pick a weight, anything that works for you. Then let's do, oh, squats as fast as you can.
How many can you pump out? Now rest a few days and try to do them as Slow as you can.
Or try doing push ups real slow.
Then maybe I have missed something in the last few months.
Maybe you can scientifically explain to me how lifting at high speed works.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #15
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Quote:

HIIT forces super fast twitch muscles to work and they in turn stimulate the human growth hormones, which create more muscle and therefore more strength.
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
I don't recall saying any thing about "submaximal" weight.
Can't see how lifting a "submaximal" weight fast will make you stronger.
Pick a weight, anything that works for you. Then let's do, oh, squats as fast as you can.
How many can you pump out? Now rest a few days and try to do them as Slow as you can.
Or try doing push ups real slow.
Then maybe I have missed something in the last few months.
Maybe you can scientifically explain to me how lifting at high speed works.
Well of course it would be submaximal. To try the above with anything close to a max effort..well...

So let's take pushups. So let's say you can do pushups for a prescribed amount of time...30 seconds...you do them slow and let's say you do 10...I'll do them fast and do 45. Who has done more work?

Force=M/A
Work=F/D
Power=W/T

And some articles for your reading pleasure if you would like to know how lifting fast translates to getting stronger.

http://www.westside-barbell.com/west...hods_feb07.pdf

http://www.westside-barbell.com/arti...ynamic-method/
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Malcom

Quote:
HIIT forces super fast twitch muscles to work and they in turn stimulate the human growth hormones, which create more muscle and therefore more strength.
Having more muscle does not necessarily translate into more strength. Possibly yes, absolutely no.

So as a skater do you want more muscle mass or would you like to stay at your current weight and just get stronger?
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
BullHIIT! Anyone who can skate 50 freakin miles is a STUUD.

Old April 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #19
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Quote:
Having more muscle does not necessarily translate into more strength. Possibly yes, absolutely no.

So as a skater do you want more muscle mass or would you like to stay at your current weight and just get stronger?
First, I've learned over 40 years of working out that not everything works the same for everyone. Second HIIT was been around now for forty years.

I'm at my perfect weight, that would the same weight I've been at for forty years, 170-175lbs. I'm not interested in HIIT for muscle mass my self, I'm going to incorporate the cardio version which is the exact opposite. It also is a shorter exercise with one warming up then putting out maxime effort for thirty seconds with a ninety second recovery, repeat eight times and take at least three days off. These method has been shown to increase ones VO2 max by 10-15 percent, do you really want to pass something that amazing up. $hit for 10-15 % increase in my VO2 max I'll f'n try anything, wouldn't you!
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #20
Malcom

Quote:
First, I've learned over 40 years of working out that not everything works the same for everyone.
Not true when speaking of working out to develop stronger (notice I said stronger not bigger) body. Now will some make greater advances than others because of a genetic disposition? For sure. Will some have better results because they take in better fuel than another? Yes. Will some make bigger strides because they give their bodies the proper rest and implement a recovery regimen? Absolutely. But percent training...dynamic effort/maximal day works for anyone...from a teenager just starting to lift, to a professional football player, a powerlifter, and yes even a skater....