S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 6th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #1
PappaWheelie

Default Diet

I like to think I eat healthy.

I would like to think it, but it probably is less truth than wishful thinking. Here is the thing. I have just started skating. My daughter joined a roller derby league and we both have found a lot of fun in the sport, and in just run rink skating. Nevertheless, this has presented problems.

After hours of skating and avoiding the junk food at the concession, we are starving. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday evening skates and all day skate Saturdays. We are famished. --- what do you guys to hold off or diminished that post-skate instatiable hunger? Water is only barely touching that craving for a burger or shake (or both). And of course it is 9 or 10pm.

Suggestions?
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Jim

One thing for certain is that you should eat as soon as you can after a hard skate so your body can rebuild itself better than before. That goes double if you're insatiably hungry because your body is trying to tell you something.

If you don't like the food at the concession, can you bring your own? Or does your rink have a rule that says if you skate there, you can only eat the food they sell you? If it's the latter, you'll have to find creative ways to smuggle healthy food in and eat it.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
PappaWheelie

We jump between three rinks, and I am positive two of them don't want to see outside food. The other has that rule, but they are really cool people with us.

I just don't know about pumping food that late at night. So I was thinking that there might be something healthy that is filling but not a total sugar or carb fest.
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaWheelie View Post

I would like to think it, but it probably is less truth than wishful thinking. Here is the thing. I have just started skating. My daughter joined a roller derby league and we both have found a lot of fun in the sport, and in just run rink skating. Nevertheless, this has presented problems.

After hours of skating and avoiding the junk food at the concession, we are starving. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday evening skates and all day skate Saturdays. We are famished. --- what do you guys to hold off or diminished that post-skate instatiable hunger? Water is only barely touching that craving for a burger or shake (or both). And of course it is 9 or 10pm.

Suggestions?
Sure. This is what I do.

Try to balance three things; what I consume, the amount of sleep I get and the amount of exercise I get.

When you sleep too much you may not be exercising enough. Or when you exercise too much (including sex) it may make you overeat and/or sleep too much. So the idea is to attempt to balance the three. Now here's the clincher...you can't lie to yourself about what you are doing or not doing correctly. That's the hardest part.

The way this works is that you set the standard for yourself based on whatever criteria you come up with. If you want to be more muscular then you may have to use some supplements with your exercise routine but those supplements can't violate the criteria and rules you've setup for yourself for what you consume. What you consume is not only what you put in your mouth (food, water, etc.) but it is also what you put in your head. Watching too much TV, for example, may cut into your exercise time or your sleep time.

One more catch...you may not ever get the balance you seek. So basically this is a method of becoming more and more in tune with that balance the longer you live. Because a diet is a crystalization. A one month or two month or three month exercise routine is a crystalization.

This method is a process of continuing growth. You set the standard, the criteria, the frequency, etc. so you have no one to blame but yourself if things don't turn out the way you want them. Really...not lieing to yourself is the hardest part.
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #5
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Before, During, After.

Hi

FO: Glad you are skating.

Gatorade and a few other places makes drinks that are supposed to handle all these situations. Don't know how good they work yet you can read the suggestions on their web sites. Again more info is better than no info.

Years ago when skating really hard I had the same burn out and drain you are experiencing. It was horrid..horrid.. I ended up using Accelerade from GNC as a fast after skate drink. (About 8 oz) Just checked and it is still on the GNC site. It is basically a mixable powder milk kind of stuff high in fast deliverable protein. I seem to remember that Muscle Milk is kind of the same, yet I have never tried that one or the alternatives..

Years ago, our now moderator Jessica, had a joke about muscle milk with SpeedySkater. Anyway forgetting old SLF fun, if you mix it and bring it to skating keep it in a cooler.

Another idea is for you to talk to Pro_Hockey players or their coaches to see what they give late after a workout/game. OK scratch that, they eat hoagies and huge subs since they are super drained.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Jim

Quote:
We jump between three rinks, and I am positive two of them don't want to see outside food. The other has that rule, but they are really cool people with us.

I just don't know about pumping food that late at night. So I was thinking that there might be something healthy that is filling but not a total sugar or carb fest.
You need carbs and protein after a workout. A protein shake and maybe some nuts, raisins, rice cakes, bananas should do until you get home and eat some real food.

If any of the rink operators give you a rough time about it, try to reason with them. If you find them incapable of reason, revert to my suggestion of smuggling it in and consuming it covertly. For instance, when somebody finishes their rink bought shake, ask them for the cup, wash it out and dump a protein shake in it. They'll think you bought it there.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #7
online inline

I will second the advice about protein shake, or just simple chocolate milk.
I have a mix which i just add to water, shake it up in my water bottle, and chug it on down - so no spoilage, and no planning ahead, i just keep it in my skate bag along with the water bottle. Recipe available upon request, or just buy some packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast.

But if you are skating that long, you need to replenish periodically, not just when you are done. Like ideally, every two hours or so, and more often if you perspire at all. Just shove some snacks in your bag, apple, pbj sandwich, wheat crackers, nuts, bananas, a dry bagel... Just shove some stuff in there and it all seems like paradise when you're hungry!

HEre's the crux of it: you fuel your systems, and you enjoy the ride more, and you recover faster. What;s not to like about that?!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #8
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

You mean those big ol sour dill pickles and a day old hotdog don't do ya?

You should try Meal Replacement shakes found at Whole Foods. Raw makes a really good one. Mix 'em before you go, and sneak em in, or head to the car and chug a lug. I've found mixing them with psyllum husks (pure fiber) make them more satiating. Those tuna packages that come in the mylar pouches work well.

Eat a nice LARGE protein rich dinner/breakfast an hour before going in. (I like a dozen eggs before I bust off a 2 hour bowl skate)
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Remember During

Hi,

OnlineInline already covered it again, yet during is also important. Many people just use water yet that fails to replace. Actually marathon runners, mostly women have died consuming only water. Someplace back in time is my note and links on this subject with others adding good info. Anyway if you go looking on the Sport Drink sites you can find various suggestions. 8-10 oz during is what came out for me.

A derby gal I know uses chocolate cups (Trader Joes). Pizza and other stuff can kill you when skating hard unless you know how to work it off and have the time. Undone pizza is a bummer.

Some women make fruit shakes to make sure they stay away from whey or other stuff that might bother their particular system. Some men too. And some are very creative with blenders which includes bananas and other.

Again I am adding just During. Yet don't forget Before

Old May 8th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #10
iSk8on8
SK8n SK8n SK8n

Quote:

Suggestions?
I agree......skating for hours at a time can leave you feeling famished !

So what I have been doing is pre-making smoothies at home using a little blender called "The Bullet" with fresh strawberries, bananas, spinach leaves, and a little protein. After making the smoothie, I pour it into a no-leak beverage container, and then put that into a small little bag cooler that has thermal lining and is small enough to fit into my skate bag and keep it cold. Then, whenever I start feeling like I need some replenishment during or after a session, I go up to the concession stand, ask for a cup of ice and sit down and drink my smoothie in one of their cups. If for some reason, I don't have time to pre-make a smoothie, I'll stop and pick up a couple of those all natural "Naked" health drink smoothies, and put that into the little bag cooler in my skate bag. And as a last resort, I can always buy a gatorade at the rink where I skate. And there is nothing wrong with gatorade, the rink just charges 3 times the normal price - so I try to avoid that. And for some reason, I have found that the orange flavored gatorades seem to work better for me. Not sure why though.

Last edited by iSk8on8; May 8th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
iSk8on8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #11
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Food/Energy Drinks: Good Diet on the Sly

Hi Again,

I see we may have missed one thing. How to get that stuff into the Rink and then eat it on the sly.

One rink that discourages outside food allows it for the adults on Adult Skate Night. Plenty still go to the Snack bar. The pizza is cooked so you can have one slice and normally skate if off in one song. For years the adults brought in birthday cakes for their fellow adults. Yet he does regularly discourage outside drinks even coffee since he makes coffee.

The best thing is to have a carry_in bag. I used to use an Army Duffle bag and have the sports drink and water tucked in. I now have a bigger bag with two side pockets and even keep an extra power bar in the side pocket. If you like those chocolate cups you can also stash that in the side or some apple, nuts/sesame_sticks other.

When you drink from your own stuff in those places that are paranoid to make snack bar money be watchful. Keep it in your bag and maybe beside you on a bench or under a seat.

P.S. BTW they do make a lot of money from the Snack Bar
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #12
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

You could ask the rinks to supple alternative foods, McDonalds did. There may even be laws preventing them from not allowing foods in if they don't offer alternatives. Maybe try a petition with other rink users to make some healthy changes. Having healthy foods is not that difficult. Maybe no one has ever suggested it so they aren't aware there is a demand for it. Nothing wrong with fighting for your right to eat healthy.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

All our rinks around here are jammed with hungry middle school kids under 14. There's no market for any kind of health food. It's a wonder some of those fat kids can even skate.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Blackjack

I've kinda got into snacking on slim fast bars or shakes after training. Not sure they are ideal, but seem to fill me up enough and aren't quite as full of crud as a burger. There are other alternative style snack bars if you look.
I support getting a ruck sack or something if you need to smuggle food/water in.

Approaching the management about supplying other options is also a really good idea. You won't know till you ask. As they say round here. "Shy Bairns get nowt!"
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #15
PappaWheelie

So I made a strawberry/banna smoothie with a bit of soy milk. It did take the edge off, but i was too scared to bring it in, so I had to change shoes and told them I had to walk the dog (and yes, while the weather is cold or mild, I bring my dog everywhere) so I could get back in.

Amazing, how they don't want you leaving or coming back in, UNLESS you are a smoker. Blows my mind. The Neville rink is cool and they don't mind us going in and out. I think that they wouldn't mind bringing food in, if it wasn't that it would encourage others to do it and ruin their profits. (They are a hardcore rink with no skee ball or computer games to add extra revenue).

Romp'N'Roll is different. They are all about profit. If they could charge a nickel to pee, they would do it. They certainly would not be cool with bringing food in-- especially since they are right behind a Giant Eagle.

But for now, I think I can get away with a quick lie that I need to water the dog (even if he isn't there) or "going to smoke" even though I don't-- and get a snack in the car. Seems a pain--- but a safe solution.
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #16
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
I will second the advice about protein shake, or just simple chocolate milk.
20 oz Chocolate milk is my standard immediate afterwards drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
I see we may have missed one thing. How to get that stuff into the Rink and then eat it on the sly.
It's in a cooler in the car. Do they search your before you park? I didn't think so.
You finish your skate, and get in the car.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #17
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Good Solution to A Best Skate Diet

Hi PappaW,

Well this is a good solution. I applaud you at your solution of a 'white lie'
'White Lies from the good fairy are good'

Quote:
So I made a strawberry/banna smoothie with a bit of soy milk. It did take the edge off, but i was too scared to bring it in, so I had to change shoes and told them I had to walk the dog (and yes, while the weather is cold or mild, I bring my dog everywhere) so I could get back in.

Amazing, how they don't want you leaving or coming back in, UNLESS you are a smoker. Blows my mind. The Neville rink is cool and they don't mind us going in and out. I think that they wouldn't mind bringing food in, if it wasn't that it would encourage others to do it and ruin their profits. (They are a hardcore rink with no skee ball or computer games to add extra revenue).

Romp'N'Roll is different. They are all about profit. If they could charge a nickel to pee, they would do it. They certainly would not be cool with bringing food in-- especially since they are right behind a Giant Eagle.

But for now, I think I can get away with a quick lie that I need to water the dog (even if he isn't there) or "going to smoke" even though I don't-- and get a snack in the car. Seems a pain--- but a safe solution.
Well I would choose my solution given above, YET If it works for you then do it. It is all about what keeps you stronger when skating. The cig thing acceptable to the rink bugs me, big time, yet that is for another note

And BTW, Yes about Neville Island, and many many more skate places. Profits from Snack Bars are part of this business and they DO NOT want everyone bringing in their own water or sodas or coffees or sandwiches. One guy I know took out the water fountain so he could make money from bottled water. 1$ if you please. OK he was in the extreme and I guess I will call him a friend in case he or his wife are reading.

Anyway, Since there are not so many of us forever skaters, and we pay regularly, they don't mind us bringing in good sports drinks and food stuff that helps us stay healthy. Yet We can not make it so obvious that others copy us and cause problems for Rink Owners. The copy stuff is important for us to remember as older adults (Lost full explanation, yet I know you can fill in the gap.)

Old May 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #18
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Skating outside is much more fun.

1. Drink/eat when/where you want
2. No screaming middleschoolers in hockey skates
3. No rap music (unless that's what you have on your headphones)
4. Suntan
5. Birds and trees and grass and stuff.
6. Fresh air
7. Hot chicks in spandex! (adult ones at that!)
8. No covercharge or session times
9. Your GPS will actually work
10. Ramps and bowls!! (which would be my #1)

yrmv
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM   #19
WildBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post

4. Suntan
6. Fresh air

yrmv
I don't skate outside (will give it a go this year), but your logic makes sense, sir!
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:12 PM   #20
PappaWheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post

4. Suntan
6. Fresh air

yrmv
Bad things about outside skating (just for fun)
1. Often carrying your drink and food
2. Punk kids in the park
3. Bugs
4. Sunburn
5. Being pooped on
6. Smokers walking by
7. Ugly chicks in spandex
8. Price of gas to get to where you skate
9. You have to buy a GPS to use one...and then the government knows where you are!!!
10. Rocks, twigs and cracks in cement!