S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old July 5th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #1
wired

Default Photobucket

Bad news!

Photobucket says photo-f**k-it, starts off-site image shakedown

Photobucket accused of blackmail after quietly requiring users to pay $400 a year to hotlink

Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'

Photobucket Just Broke Billions of Photos Across the Web

I just saw the first "ransomware" image here in one of Doc's threads. I have looked at some of my posts and the images still show up even after dumping the cache. I did pay Photobucket some money a LONG time ago when I was hosting a bunch of pix. I'm sure that has expired and it was nowhere near $400/yr. I have never linked images on Photobucket to a commercial site like eBay.

While I sympathize with PB when the images they are hosting for free are used for commercial endeavors it is disheartening to see them destroy web content this way. Like many here I have spent considerable time consuming and hopefully adding to the skating hive mind. If all this content goes missing it is a loss to all.

I understand why site owners don't want the additional expense of storing images and the bandwidth required to host images. However that decision and resultant policy now has consequences. I wonder if Photobucket would allow a site to download all linked images as a fix?

Without a fix it is just another nail in the coffin of forums.

I tried copying a image location and using it as a URL hoping would allow me to go directly to the image on Photobucket but once there I still get the ransomware image along with a bombardment of ads. Truly evil...

What is happening to others?

Old July 8th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #2
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Sad. I haven't used them in a while for that purpose. I used it for posting stuff for sale on Craigslist so I guess that's a bust now.
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #3
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

I used to use them in the early 2000, because they were they only game around, now they are holding all pictures hostage for $400 per year.
so if you don't see some of my pictures, you can give Photo bucket the finger.
they will history in a very short time, for screwing their customer base.
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #4
nickajshelden
Blades

Default too bad

oh well, I only used them a few times (usually I host things on my own servers or on google). But $400? They aren't trying to market this, they are really going for a fast change, and fast they will get. RIP to them
Old July 24th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #5
bjvircks
Major Trouble

anybody come up with satisfactory alternatives?

I've seen there are several other similar sites out there but I suspect they will eventually do the same thing. Gotta pay the bills somehow.
Old July 25th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #6
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
I've seen there are several other similar sites out there but I suspect they will eventually do the same thing. Gotta pay the bills somehow.
Exactly.

That is why it is incumbent for sites like SkateLog to shoulder their part of the burden. Back when forums started storage and bandwidth were considerably more expensive than now. It is insane for the contributors here to each pony up $400/yr for content that makes this site what it is. Not to mention the contributors that are no longer here and couldn't pay or fix links if they wanted. If this were my site I'd approach Photobucket for a one time deal to download all linked images so they could be hosted on site.

While there are those out there that believe forums are dead the content on forums will continue to draw page views for quite some time to come. If that is worth something then it needs to be preserved, and the only practical way for that to happen is via the site owners.

Old July 25th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #7
Dec8rSk8r

http://tinypic.com/ Not saying this is the best alternative, but this is one I've used.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote