S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old February 4th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #201
splitwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpinto View Post
Richard,
Yes Chris started in Spingfield,Mo..his dad Arliss was dean of the SRSTA and owned the rink..his dad was very big in art skating...Chris was a wonderful art skater, i skated Jr mens singles against him..he could jump a mile high, couldnt't spin too well...one year at regonals they were not going to let Chris skate because the rules required a jacked and he had a jump suit..l let him use my jacket..he skated first, got my jacket all sweated up...we tied and he won on ruile bracker...that was 1973, two years before i had the greatest race of my life that involved chris
Great story on Chris! So did you start out in Mo yourself? What club did you skate for when you competed in FS?

Splitwoods
splitwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #202
fpinto

I started out in New Jersey. Actually in Keasburg, then Lakewood ...like i said i remeber those wed after sessions practice at lackwood around 1964 or so..before that i would go to Riverside for the late night Fri practice..i skated Singles and speed. In 1970 i moved to Greeley, co to skate for Jay Norcross...i coached speed there while i skated...had a few good skaters.Boddy Tedder use practice with us, Doug James {fastest guy i ever met who never won anythilng big} Everett Cox out of Kansas use to skate for us..Kathey Lee, she got 2 0r 3rd one year in a sr relay, 2 lady i think, mayb e 76 or so...everyone loved to practice at our rink i would like to think it was cause i such a great coach and ran a great practice...but probabaly had more to do with our floor, fastest floor i ever skated on..the boards were curved, so skated with grain all the way round the track

Chris skated out of our region until 75 or 76 then he went to Texas..every now and then he enter a singles contest, great talent in anything he wanted to do. just like must great champs
fpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #203
splitwoods

Quote:
I started out in New Jersey. Actually in Keasburg, then Lakewood ...like i said i remeber those wed after sessions practice at lackwood around 1964 or so..before that i would go to Riverside for the late night Fri practice..i skated Singles and speed. In 1970 i moved to Greeley, co to skate for Jay Norcross...i coached speed there while i skated...had a few good skaters.Boddy Tedder use practice with us, Doug James {fastest guy i ever met who never won anythilng big} Everett Cox out of Kansas use to skate for us..Kathey Lee, she got 2 0r 3rd one year in a sr relay, 2 lady i think, mayb e 76 or so...everyone loved to practice at our rink i would like to think it was cause i such a great coach and ran a great practice...but probabaly had more to do with our floor, fastest floor i ever skated on..the boards were curved, so skated with grain all the way round the track

Chris skated out of our region until 75 or 76 then he went to Texas..every now and then he enter a singles contest, great talent in anything he wanted to do. just like must great champs
Did you ever have the opportunity to skate at the original Riverdale Rink in RI, before they built the New Riverdale?? Now that was a fast floor, the corners were all steam bent, so there also you never left the grain., and boy was it a tight bare wood surface......I think the first meet I skated at theer was probably in 1960 or there abouts.....

I refereed Regionals at the new rink, some time in the 70's...

Splitwoods
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #204
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwoods View Post
Did you ever have the opportunity to skate at the original Riverdale Rink in RI, before they built the New Riverdale?? Now that was a fast floor, the corners were all steam bent, so there also you never left the grain., and boy was it a tight bare wood surface......I think the first meet I skated at theer was probably in 1960 or there abouts.....

Splitwoods

i skated both riverdale rinks, warwick and w bridgewater but not until the 70s to 90s and w bridge closed i think in the 80s? bridgewaters floor was awful but the rink was nice. warwick had the best floor in the region, too bad they didnt have meets there in the 90s and the place wasnt still open.
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #205
bdazey

Default Thanks

Quote:
Greenetuckian:

Nice vintage pics of older skates you have there.

Some tips on restoration. You could use "Neverdull" metal polishing wads to remove some of tthe grime and rust spots on the steel base plates.
The product is freely available at your neighborhood hardware store.

The wheels could easily be touched up on a rink wheel grinder. The Looseball cones and bearings and d washer and nuts as well as axles could all be replaced with new parts, if needed. The wheel LB Cups can also be hand polished.

For the leather, I like Lexol, both the conditioner and cleaning products, to put some new life back into the dried out material, in and outside the boot. If the tongues are dryrotted, any bootmaker can replace that for you. Lexol is also available at area Tack shops anywhere fine leather goods are sold.

Hope this helps.

Splitwoods
Thanks for this info. I have an old pair of my dads, (George Moore 1938 & 1940 speed skating champion) speed skates that I would like to restore. Thats all that I have from his era of skating so if anyone out there has any photos or articles about him, I would love to hear from you and possibly arrange to get copies. My email is billdazey@sbcglobal.net. I'm new to skatelog forum and this is my first post. Barbara

Last edited by bdazey; October 27th, 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: email was wrong
bdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #206
fpinto

Splitwoods,

Never had the opportunity to skate there, when i lived in Jersey never went much north of there..skated at a lot of ARSA riinks, the old Twin Cities and Bayone...good lord Twin cities was big..we use to do traveling camels in the asile during couples skate LOL..now that is large

i just started skating again for some exercise...having had both hips replaced twice i need to be careful..i am mostly giong to try and do some nice easy stroking...just got some new speed skates coming from sk8 doc, stuff i never heard of and i have only been out of the buisness since 94..vanilla boots ??? reactor plates???...hard to believe at 60 i am excited about new skates...flashback to 12
fpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #207
Shoes99

Default 1966 Eastern Region 4Man Relay Champs

1966 Eastern Region Senior Four Man Relay Champions.
Buddy Carter, John Drewry, B. Manseau and Donn Calvano.
Thanks to Donn Calvano for supplying this photo.
Shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #208
splitwoods

Great picture of the 1966 Eastern Region Mens Relay Champions.

It was a privlege to skate with Calvano on several Relay Championship teams in earlier years....

We won both NY Sates and the North Eastern Regionals in 1961, 62 & 64 in the 4 man event, and also in 1961 the Mixed 4 Relay as well. Details and a pic of the mixed relay are eslewhere on this thread. By '65- I was serving in the US Marine Corps, and missing my skating buds big time..

Splitwoods
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #209
splitwoods

Quote:
Splitwoods,

Never had the opportunity to skate there, when i lived in Jersey never went much north of there..skated at a lot of ARSA riinks, the old Twin Cities and Bayone...good lord Twin cities was big..we use to do traveling camels in the asile during couples skate LOL..now that is large

i just started skating again for some exercise...having had both hips replaced twice i need to be careful..i am mostly giong to try and do some nice easy stroking...just got some new speed skates coming from sk8 doc, stuff i never heard of and i have only been out of the buisness since 94..vanilla boots ??? reactor plates???...hard to believe at 60 i am excited about new skates...flashback to 12

FPinto:

Well my friend take it easy on the comeback trail....

Splitwoods
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #210
splitwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdazey View Post
Thanks for this info. I have an old pair of my dads, (George Moore 1938 & 1940 speed skating champion) speed skates that I would like to restore. Thats all that I have from his era of skating so if anyone out there has any photos or articles about him, I would love to hear from you and possibly arrange to get copies. My email is bdazey@sbcglobal.net. I'm new to skatelog forum and this is my first post. Barbara

Barbara:

How nice to hear from the daughter of a champion of yesteryear! The real historian of the sport of speed skating is Tony Kissing from Cinci, Oh..he does copy the mail on this forum and I am sure will be posting back to you before too long. Do you have any photos of your dad racing you could post on this thread??

Tony does have some old skate magazines from that time frame....

Splitwoods
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #211
xlracer

Hi Barbara,
I will see Tony next month, I will make sure to look and see if he has anything at his house.
Tracy/xlracer
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #212
bdazey

Default reply

Quote:
Barbara:

How nice to hear from the daughter of a champion of yesteryear! The real historian of the sport of speed skating is Tony Kissing from Cinci, Oh..he does copy the mail on this forum and I am sure will be posting back to you before too long. Do you have any photos of your dad racing you could post on this thread??

Tony does have some old skate magazines from that time frame....

Splitwoods

Thanks for replying. Tony has a T-Shirt of my Dad and Vivian Bell that I have asked for a photocopy of. His skate magazines go back to 1946. My Dad did have some neat photos. My step mom should have them. I'm hoping she will donate them to the Roller Skating Museum someday. After my dad's death she moved out of the house and I'm not sure where she is now. She did live in Roswell NM and then moved to El Paso for awhile. She was unhappy that Dad had left me the house which she always knew he was going to do that. I offered to let her live in it rent free for the rest of her life but that wasn't good enough for her. She does have a daughter in Houston and I have her addrress somewhere on an old Christmas card. So I don't have any photos but because I am working on researching my family history I am looking for any articles and photos. I know there were some articles in the Cincinnati paper at the time and someday I plan to visit Cincinnati to see relatives that still live there. All of my past relatives lived there and are buried there. So if you happen to come across any, please email me a copy. My email is billdazey@sbcglobal.net. Thanks. Barbara Dazey
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #213
bdazey

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
Hi Barbara,
I will see Tony next month, I will make sure to look and see if he has anything at his house.
Tracy/xlracer

Hi Tracy
Thanks for the note. Tony said he had a Tshirt of my Dad and Vivian Bell. I'm hoping he will photocopy or scan it and email it to me. He said his skate magazines go back to 1946. I'm hoping to visit Cincinnati some time as I still have relatives there. I am researching my family history and all of my relatives lived in Cincinnati and some are buried there. So one day I plan to go there. But if you find anything you have my email. Barbara/bdazey
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #214
brikkee

Quote:

Splitwoods

Your going to make me cry man i miss this place now.Remember me i was tiny tot boys
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #215
TONY KISSING

Default George Moore Tshirt

BARBARA
I WILL COPY THE TSHIRT AND MAIL YOU THE PHOTO
EMAIL ME AT
TONYEKISSING@YAHOO.COM
OR
TONYKISSING@YAHOO.COM

YOUR DAD HAD TO BE A GREAT ONE TO WIN IN 1938 THEN NO MEET IN 1939
AND THEN WIN AGAIN IN 1940.
I GUESS HE WAS IN THE ARMY IN 1941.
TONY KISSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #216
Barracuda

Default Robb Dunn

Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM   #217
bdazey

Default reply T-shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY KISSING View Post
BARBARA
I WILL COPY THE TSHIRT AND MAIL YOU THE PHOTO
EMAIL ME AT
TONYEKISSING@YAHOO.COM
OR
TONYKISSING@YAHOO.COM

YOUR DAD HAD TO BE A GREAT ONE TO WIN IN 1938 THEN NO MEET IN 1939
AND THEN WIN AGAIN IN 1940.
I GUESS HE WAS IN THE ARMY IN 1941.
Thanks again for doing this. Dad enlisted in the Air Force. He became a pilot and mainly flew the KC-135, a refueller tanker. He served in the Air Force for 22 years before retiring at the rank of Major. If he had been seerving in the military today, he would have been able to continue training and persuing his sport! He enjoyed roller skating all his life. Even in his 50s he could still do spins and jumps. He was definitely very talented and very atheletic.
Barbara
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM   #218
TONY KISSING

Default George Moore

Where Did Your Dad Skate At In His 50s?
How Old Was Your Dad In 1938.
Sefferinos Had Many National Champions Back In The 40s
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM   #219
bdazey

Post George Moore - reply to Tony

Hi Tony
My Dad, George Moore, was born in 2-14-1917 so he was 21 in 1938. He grew up in Hamilton Ohio. In the 60s we lived in Roswell NM and there was only one rink in town. I can remember celebrating my birthdays at that rink but I don't recall the name at the time. Dad was good at picking up the kids that didn't know how to skate and he would skate backwards and help them learn. There was an ice skating rink in Ruidosa NM that we went to a couple of times in the 1960s. And we always watched the ice skating competitions on TV as a family. Was Mr Sefferino the coach for that rink or just the owner or do you know who the coach was for that era. I can't remember Dad ever mentioning he had a coach. I do remember that he volunteered at the rink and taught lessons in exchange for skating time. He was never paid. Barbara/bdazey
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:14 PM   #220
TONY KISSING

Default sefferinos rollerdrome

barbara:
i would say that BILL SEFFERINO OR CAP SEFFERINO OR BOTH WERE THE COACHES 0R COACH.
CAP (CLIFFORD) WAS A NICKNAME FOR CAPTAIN. CAP WAS CAPTAIN OF THE SKATE BOYS AT THE OLD MUSIC HALL ROLLER RINK HERE IN CINCY.
THE ALSO RAN A RINK AT THE OLD CHESTER PARK AN AMUSEMENT PARK HERE IN CINCY BOTH MUSIC HALL RINK AND THE CHESTER PARK RINK ARE LONG CLOSED.
AS FOR YOUR DAD NOT MAKING MONEY HE WAS A AMATEUR RACER AND COULDN'T MAKE ANY MONEY BACK THEN. THE RULES WERE TOUGH.
AND IF HE WAS DONE COMPETING IT WAS STILL VERY HARD TO MAKE ANY MONEY ESPECIALLY TEACHING SPEED SKATING BACK THEN.
I STARTED COACHING IN THE LATE 50S (BECAUSE SOMEONE HAD TO BE IN CHARGE NOT BECAUSE I KNEW SPEED SKATING THAT WELL BUT I DID LEARN AS THEY SAY IN THE ARMY "OJT" "ON THE JOB TRAINING"!!!)
I NEVER MADE ANY MONEY UNTIL THE LAST COUPLES OF YEARS I COACHED
AND THAT ONLY COVERED THE EXPENSES TO GO TO STATE MEET. THERE WAS STILL REGIONALS AND NATIONALS.
IT'S NOT LIKE COACHING LITTLE LEAGUE - BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL SO MUCH AND YOU COACH BOTH BOYS AND GIRLS FROM AGES 5 YEARS OLD UP.
I MAILED YOU THE PICTURE OF YOUR DAD AND VIVAN BELL THIS MORNING
YOU SHOULD GET THE ENVELOPE MONDAY OR TUESDAY. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK??? -