S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old November 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #281
quadbob

Cool to bad

+1 on the stupid comment! splitwoods is right. sometimes we change things when there fine they way they are.
i wish usars would wake up to the simple fact that quads and inlines are really two differant sports! or at least two differant designs and desires!
it's really like stock car racing and dirt track racing! sure they both use cars! but that is about the only simalarity. it's to bad they won't and don't promote quad speed and inline speed as two differant entities. you have all kinds of bicycle racing! and all kinds of motorcycle racing. why do we have to have one kind of roller speed skating! there is plenty of room for both. and just think about it from a cost factor. more companies! more choices! more grass roots programs! more teams!
why were there more skaters on quads then, then there are today on inlines? where did they go! why did they quit! WE SHOULD SIMPLY PROMOTE BOTH!
things used to be fun. the meets were creative and exciting! sure there are still awesome skaters and comp. but it's kinda gone stagnent over time. last year for example everyone was saying that the regional championships didn't matter. and that it was only a simple qualifier for nationals. that may be true today. but personaly i remember when just getting to regionals was a feet in itself! and making it to nationals was a dream come true. to be a state or regional champion was an awesome feet! and national champions were the elite of the elite! and they still are. but when did a regional championship stop meaning something. and just become a chore! just something that has to be done. like working or paying bills. we need to combine old school and new school and bring back the excitement of the sport!
it was exciting to skate in an open with 50 to 75 skaters and do relays for miles and miles!
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #282
Racer

Smile

[QUOTE=quadbob;215722]+1 on the stupid comment! splitwoods is right. sometimes we change things when there fine they way they are.
i wish usars would wake up to the simple fact that quads and inlines are really two differant sports! or at least two differant designs and desires!
it's really like stock car racing and dirt track racing! sure they both use cars! but that is about the only simalarity. it's to bad they won't and don't promote quad speed and inline speed as two differant entities. you have all kinds of bicycle racing! and all kinds of motorcycle racing. why do we have to have one kind of roller speed skating! there is plenty of room for both. and just think about it from a cost factor. more companies! more choices! more grass roots programs! more teams!
why were there more skaters on quads then, then there are today on inlines? where did they go! why did they quit! WE SHOULD SIMPLY PROMOTE BOTH!
things used to be fun. the meets were creative and exciting! sure there are still awesome skaters and comp. but it's kinda gone stagnent over time. last year for example everyone was saying that the regional championships didn't matter. and that it was only a simple qualifier for nationals. that may be true today. but personaly i remember when just getting to regionals was a feet in itself! and making it to nationals was a dream come true. to be a state or regional champion was an awesome feet! and national champions were the elite of the elite! and they still are. but when did a regional championship stop meaning something. and just become a chore! just something that has to be done. like working or paying bills. we need to combine old school and new school and bring back the excitement of the sport!
it was exciting to skate in an open with 50 to 75 skaters and do relays for miles and miles!

Excellent post there Bob.....I fully agree with your position. The State Championships were a level you HAD to compete at, if you were to get to Regionals...in my day you needed to get 1-2 or 3rd in any division or Relay to advance....

Prior to my first State Meet in '59 some States had you compete in City Championships to qualify to even participate at the State level....In my 2nd year 1960, I made it to NE Regionals by placing in Jr Boys, the next year after training hard, I was proud to win my first NY State Meet in Intermediate Men in 1961 by winning all 4 heats and the 4 finals....repeated same at NE Regionals that year, in Int, Mixed and Mens Relays.....No one could take that feeling away, the wins at States were very rewarding, and the same wins at Regionals meant we were ready to advance at Nationals in a competitive environment....NY States and NE and Eastern Regionals were no cakewalks....we had some of the best racers in the Nation back there, everyone there qualified and proved their worthiness....

To prepare I was at practice 5am 4 days a week prior to going off to school, ran cross country, and bike rode everywhere I went....cross trained...it paid off....

Nowadays, Open Nationals, I cannot even fathom that...I blame the powers that be for allowing the sport to shrink to that condition. The Open 5 mile for Sr men was as exciting a race as anyone could ever want to see, at Open meets, up to 100 racers starting the event, the noise level was akin to a Nascar race.......racing at it's zenith in my mind anyhow....

Another blast from the past.....

Racer
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #283
quadbob

Default awesome stuff

yah, i had to qualify out of state for years! i skated out of the great lakes region, and that speaks for itself.
we really need to get the coaches to get there skaters to regionals. even if there not going to nationals. so the sport can grow again! i know that used to be blastfamy,lol you'd never want to take a spot away from someone that wanted to go to nationals.
but anymore theres barely enough at regionals, and almost everything is a final! so who would you hurt? oh well just the rantings of another old man! but i still skate! on both inlines and quads! and have been fortunate enough to make it to nationals on inlines! my first love will always be quads, but if we don't adapt we die! i just beleive we don't have to give up are past to move into the future.
infact i still believe if we had a stong quad program in this country it would make are inline program that much better! but thats just my oppinion.

Last edited by quadbob; November 16th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #284
cacoa

Default hey a member makes an appeal.

Hi Hey I Am Making An Appeal To Other Members Could U Please Help Me Locate The Address Or Number Of Tom Peterson 1980 World Champ. I Was Also A Participant At The World Championships In New Zealand 1980. Am Planning To Visit The States Next Year Would Like To Meet Him. Hear The Members On This Forum Mention About Him All Yhe Time But Seems Like I Am Looking For A Needle In A Haystack. Have Not Found His Add. Yet. Could Any Member Help Out. I Alse Trained At Skate Ranch Ca Under The Guidance Of Grady. There Were Other Skaters There Like Sandy Dulany And Suzanne. Spent Some Time At The Redwood City Rink Under The Guidance Of Jim Pollard N Fiona.in Sacramento Ron Has An Awesome Rinkand Jason N Pam Used To Skate There . If Anyone Of U Please Read My Message Please Get In Touch. I Am The Skater From India Who Visited In 1983 For Training.n Bill Thanks For Ur Help.cacoa
cacoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #285
quadbob

Cool sorry

nice to meet you, but sorry i'm no help!
but there are alot of folks on here that may be able to.
just give them some time to find your post.
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #286
mkmkenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
I was reading the magazines from 1977 and there were announcements about the events that took place at Nationals. It listed all of the speed skaters that were suspended and how long each of the suspensions were. I will try to go back and find it and send it to you. I was surprised to see his name. With all of the stories I have been told about that year, Buggy had never been mentioned. Besides his successes far exceed that one small negative event in his career.
Here is another picture of Buggy at Nationals in 76, Bobby Conn from Atlanta is the kid leaning up against the wall. I think that is Bobby's Mom standing beside him. Bobby was the Elementary boys Champion that year. I dont know any of the other kids in the photo.

My name's Mike Kennedy from Long Island, NY. I was on the speed team with the unidentified kids in the photo. It's the Wal Cliffe Speed Team from Elmont, NY. Bobby Lee is seated in front of the rail. Left to right are Steve Mataix, Connie Magnus (Everett & Betty Magnus' daughter - Park Circle), Dean Mauro (Joey & Marie Mauro' son - coaches - won Freshman Boys that year I believe & placed in relays also), Ellen Lee, and Christina Santa Donato. The Wal Cliffe team had great success that year with several places in the Freshman individual & relay events.

I put an intro up on the artistic skating intro thread, as my parents, sisters & I were more involved in the artstic skating end of it.

I know there are several people here who will undoubtedly know my family - Donald & Lorraine Kennedy are my parents, and my sisters Maureen & Peggy.

I remember Richie (Splitwoods) from year's ago. Nothing like getting that fresh set from C & L. I also remember the experimental pink double split plastic wheels we used. Those were great.

When I found this site, I just wanted to join to tell everyone thanks for the many years of fun I had in skating, and I look forward to getting in touch with people I have missed through the years.

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #287
billy ray

wow,i found this forum by mistake,and glad I found it.I see some photos of jack countrymen,buggy almond,havent seen any of virgil dooley ,I have skated with all of these guys back in the late 60s,been to worlds with buggy ,and mike laport in 69 or 70 cant remmember anymore!!!!!!!!!! Bill
billy ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #288
xlracer

Hi Billy Ray believe it or not both Jack Countryman and Buggy are still skating.
Buggy is coaching and skating in Roanoke VA and Jack has a quad team in the Chicago area. There are a handful of quad skaters still showing up every year for quad nationals. Last year there were about 120 skaters for the meet. Most divisions had two heats. It was a great time.
Were you on the team with Buggy that Richie Levine and Donn Calvano took to England? Donn is still coaching. Richard left skating and is now into showing horses. He lives in TX. He still comes here every now and then. I have his email address if you would like to get in touch with him.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #289
billy ray

Hello xlracer,in 1969,I belonged to a club in battle creek michigan,our club belonged to the USARSA ,that year I won nationals so they took to guys from the usarsa and two guys from the RSROA.Don Rogers and I ,and then Buggy and also mike laport went to worlds in argentina,out of all those skaters I was the youngest there sixteen.In 1996 I skated the A2A and seen buggy down there ,I was really suprised to see him and talk to him,thanks for asking,and have a good week!!!!!!! Bill
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #290
xlracer

Buggy and Mary are hosting the Blue Ridge meet again this year. Its Feb 12-15 in Roanoke. There will be a big turnout. Not like the old days but man these 100mm and 110mm wheels are fast. I miss the old wood and powder days of the 70's but there is no disputing that inlines are so much faster its incredible to watch the best race. If you dont have anything going on, you should try to make it.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #291
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
I miss the old wood and powder days of the 70's .
Speaking of wood & powder, was there an "Approved wheel list" back in the 70's? Or was it run what you brung? I was just a kid racing back then and was just wondering.
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #292
billy ray

hey guys remmember the bostick that you could put on the wood wheels instead of putting down the powder!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #293
TYSK8

Red face John Drewry

Quote:
This is John Drewry. He is one of the greatest from the past. I will defer to my friends Tony Kissing and Richard Levine to give others a history lesson on John.

John Drewry, Mike Layport and Malcolm Williamson

John Racing outdoors on ice. Prospect Park, N.Y.
Back in those days, the Senior Men's 5-mile was an open race. No heats, all 27 competitors at the Nationals all at once. I remember sitting in the stands and watching John Drewry pass the ENTIRE pack on one straightaway!
He might have used one or two steps to do so! Absolutely awesome!
TYSK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #294
TYSK8

Default David Mageau

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpinto View Post
Ricahrd
you probably did skate agaist David, around 1961 his coach, who i know and think of his name, did an artical for skate mag on starts using David as the model

I came into this conversation in the middle....
I had a skater named David Mageau.
I did an article on starts for skate magazine using David as the model.
I've not seen David in about 15 years. Any info?

Ted
TYSK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #295
xlracer

Hey Rhettro back in those days it was skate on what ever you had.
Billy Ray, splitwoods (Richard Levine) was the guy that made Bostick.
He has not been on the board in a while. I need to shoot him an email and check on him.
I skated on all of it. Back in those days if you had a lathe, you could turn your own wheels if you could find good wood. I skated on some home made stuff. My dad had a buddy that was a machinist but we never could get our hands on wood that would hold up to the stress of racing. He could turn some good wheels. I also skated on C&L Splitwoods, Rollas, Jim Cooks, Dexters, Beadles and Big D's. Oh yea I also skated on wheels from Mr Small and the Roycraft Brothers. You can see from my Avatar I still have some. The wheels in the pic are a set of C&L Splitwoods and they have never touched a floor. They are in perfect condition and will stay that way. They are mounted on an XL and an Oberhamer 61BR with Grabber toe stops. If you raced in the 70's you know that was a fine skate in its day.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #296
quadbob

Cool yep

yep and i've seen em! good stuff maynard. xl i sent tremor a pm and asked him to return tony's tapes to you at are meet in march! you are going right. lets get tony back his tapes! come on tremor! and billy ray i sent you an email and a pm. i think i know you from kentwood, and some of the battlecreek boys! good days! anyone but me remember virgil dooleys bass wheels, and labeda's (precision sports)! five milers and sprinters, not as good as splitwoods but good none the less.
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #297
fpinto

Default David Mageau

Ted,
IT was you i talked to at Nationals {years ago!} About David, i have that skate mag and you told me you had been his coaach... i was married to Mary Sue Wilcox at the time...in 1964 i was skating out of lakewood, NJ and David was stationed nearby...Drewry, Buggy and evne Grudza use to come to practice there once in a while...David had the fastest start i had ever seen at that time...also had the highest and fastest double boeckel
frank
fpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #298
billy ray

Hey quadbob,im not billy fields,im billy bryant,I was good friends with billy fields,I use to date his sister sue,I still go to battle creek to visit his mom and dad every once in awhile ,I hate to say ,but billy fields past away about six years ago ,some type of cancer,it was really hard on his family.I skated for midway down in battle creek mi.Yes I knew jack countrymen,virgil dooley,don rogers all them guys.Our club was one of the best ones around ,I kinda got out of skating about 1972 ,it was alot of fun.I see that you live in atlanta ga.my ole speed skating coach lives down there ,larry mastin ,I go visit him every couple of years.I was going down to bike week at daytona ,and my buddies dropped me off at atlanta last year I stayed and visited him for a few days. He lives in peachtree city then I rode my bike from there on down.
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #299
quadbob

Unhappy lifes short

how sad, that sucks about billy! another good freind pasted about four years ago danny storto, i remember when you and billy came over to kentwood with patsy and skated, it was only for a short time but you guys are the reason i'm still doing it. however on a smaller scale! i believe it was you, billy fields and richard lavine(maybe) he used do a wolf call or something like that! anyway sorry to here about billy fields he will be missed! but it's good to see your still kicking!
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #300
billy ray

Hey Quadbob ,I pretty much just skate to stay in shape,i dont like indoors,I just skate out doors,The last time I skated in competition was the A2A about ten years ago.I tried short track ice speed skating for awhile, that was kinda interesting. yo Bill