S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Mz Moore Pain

Default Favorite Drills for Freshmeat!!!

I have some freshmeat girls on the team and there first bout will be in 6 weeks. Any good drills out there so the girls will not go into shock on the track!! Thanks!!
Mz Moore Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2
ShellLillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Moore Pain View Post
I have some freshmeat girls on the team and there first bout will be in 6 weeks. Any good drills out there so the girls will not go into shock on the track!! Thanks!!
Scrimmaging. A lot. Ease them into it, but try to bring it as close as possible to game intensity as you can.
Also endless jammer drills, there are many variations of them to play with.
Throw in some endurance drills as well, whatever you prefer.
Selina Vyle #321
Nike Jr. Mercurial Victory II/Magnesium Avenger/Super Reds/Jukes or Canns.
ShellLillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Ida Slapter

Bouting with only one jammer and alternating from your jammer to opposing jammer every other jam. This can really help newer skaters concentrate on only one thing at a time vs. trying to pay attention to their own jammer and the other teams.
Putting newer skaters on the floor with a floor leader or a buddy that can direct them each time. This can really help if you only put out on fresh meat skater at a time.
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
ShellLillian

One thing I did a little with my team before my first game (and even afterwards) was to pair up with a vet during a jam. For example, I would pair up with a vet at front of the pack (me as pivot and them as the first blocker) or in the back, and they'd stick with us and tell us what to do and form walls with us. Having someone literally right there with you helps keep you calmer and on track. It helped me quite a bit.
Selina Vyle #321
Nike Jr. Mercurial Victory II/Magnesium Avenger/Super Reds/Jukes or Canns.
ShellLillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Mz Moore Pain

I like that!! Play the buddy system!! Never thought of that!! Thanks!!!
Mz Moore Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #6
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Scrimmages with as many refs and NSOs that will show up. Treat it like a real bout but with half the penalty time and make sure the girls know the penalty is half the bout penalty time so as not to confuse them later.
Less penalty time in practice equals more time to learn.

During the first part of scrimmage direct everyone to skate and hit at 50% of bout intensity. This portion is more to reinforce game play, rules, and for refs to have time to talk to a skater who has earned a penalty and tell them why and how it can be avoided. Newbs need constant reinforcement of the rules until it is ingrained.

When everyone is warmed up, after about 20 min, direct them to play at 85%-90% of bout intensity but to keep hits and falling under control.
To keep players from getting hurt, only bout at that intensity for about ten minutes but that will give the fresh meat a quick idea of how tough it can get and to be prepared for it.
Direct vets not to hit a skater any harder than they can take for their skill level/ set. If you have a weak freshy, the last thing you want to do, as a vet, is block a new girl as intensely as you would at a travel team bout. I have seen this happen with players at different skill levels and the outcome can end up being new talent with potential that is now injured and not coming back to play for a while. Pull your punches just enough until they can handle it.

The last twenty minutes, they should be hitting at 50% intensity again but jams are now three- four minutes with no calling off. This is grueling but really helps with muscle control, endurance, mental strength and focus.
If I need to skate two jams back to back...its that much easier. Training to bout much longer than is required will make for strong players who can play intensely for longer periods without becoming winded. Refs should still be making calls and expaining the penalty.
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #7
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default A Seasoned FM Coach

Hi Mz Moore Pain,

Well with VioletBuckle's post I do not have much to add. She has given a lot of great detail. You can tell she is a seasoned coach of fresh meat running around with a clip board during Fresh Meat Practice.

I was going to add intensity at a lower level 50, 80 etc, yet she did it and dang added so so much more.

The only thing I will add is to take her recommendations one step at a time. She has given you a lot, in one gulp, and if you are a new team you will say ' What?'. So take her advice one step at a time.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Edit-01 Oh well my spelling in the title was initially horrible

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; January 13th, 2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: coach not couch or kooch
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #8
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi Mz Moore Pain,

Well with VioletBuckle's post I do not have much to add. She has given a lot of great detail. You can tell she is a seasoned coach of fresh meat running around with a clip board during Fresh Meat Practice.

I was going to add intensity at a lower level 50, 80 etc, yet she did it and dang added so so much more.

The only thing I will add is to take her recommendations one step at a time. She has given you a lot, in one gulp, and if you are a new team you will say ' What?'. So take her advice one step at a time.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Edit-01 Oh well my spelling in the title was initially horrible
Lol. Thank you Dave! I'm actually an ex-skater/player training to be a ref after an automobile injury, the other driver back blocked me

But I'm finding it difficult to stay away. I would love to skate again and the idea of coaching has always fascinated me. My father was my soccer coach and a great one.

I find a lot of leagues are closed off about giving information to start up leagues. I would never post inside information but these are just some simple coaching procedures to keep your league's athletes healthy and strong with a winning edge.

My hope is for all leagues to have more access to basic training materials.

I will gladly add more ideas if anyone is interested.
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #9
BionicBug

As a very new skater from a brand new league where we're all freshies, this advice is very much appreciated!! We need all the suggestions we can get! Our coach has a lot of great drills and ideas, but new suggestions are definitely appreciated!
BionicBug is offline   Reply With Quote