S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old October 18th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #1
JHB
Shuffling Member

Default ProLine pivot cups (again...)

So I'm getting ready to put my OG ProLines back into service, so I can clean-up, polish, and tune-up my Boens. Just discovered that the pivot cups are worn (I HOPE it's the pivot cups...) - all four trucks have visible left & right play where the pivot pin enters the cup. I will be disassembling in the next few days to verify what's what, but in the meantime, let's assume the cups are worn out. Some questions:

1. Better to go with the OG-style bronze cups again, or something else?

2. How to remove the original cups? They appear to be bonded in with some sort of (epoxy-looking) adhesive. I'm thinking heat gun...

3. How to install the new ones?
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB View Post
So I'm getting ready to put my OG ProLines back into service, so I can clean-up, polish, and tune-up my Boens. Just discovered that the pivot cups are worn (I HOPE it's the pivot cups...)

Most likely. The pivot cups are the sacrificial part of the pivot system.

- all four trucks have visible left & right play where the pivot pin enters the cup. I will be disassembling in the next few days to verify what's what, but in the meantime, let's assume the cups are worn out. Some questions:

1. Better to go with the OG-style bronze cups again, or something else?

If you can find the OG oilite bronze, by all means. The brass Hard Candy pivot cups are OK but you have to pay closer attention to them. Keep them lubed etc.

2. How to remove the original cups? They appear to be bonded in with some sort of (epoxy-looking) adhesive.

They are.. There is a hole in the back of the plate. I typically punch them out with a pin punch through the hole. If they are banged up...worn out from impact, they most likely are not stuck down real well...

I'm thinking heat gun...

Never needed heat.

3. How to install the new ones?

They should just drop in. I put small dab of RTV to hold them in during assembly, but it's not necessary.

Make sure you have your action adjusted tight enough to keep the pivot pin seated in the cup. If it's loose the hammering will wear the new cup out faster.

Be glad you caught it early. I have seen plates damaged because the pivot wore through the cup and into the plate itself.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #3
JHB
Shuffling Member

Google didn't give me any sources for the OG bronze cups; plenty of brass though.

How do you feel about Delrin pivot cups for this application? In the course of searching, I found this post (in a non-ProLine thread) where Wild42 mentions using Delrin instead of oilite bronze for pivot cups. Personally I like the idea of Delrin better than brass...

I'm ~200lbs, skate only sessions, mostly shuffling. I don't do jumps, just some occasional foot-stomping (and even that's limited since my knees don't like the impact).

EDIT: Nevermind. I missed the 2nd and 3rd pages of that thread where you and others recommended Delrin over bronze/oilite/brass/whatever, just before it devolved into a food fight.

Last edited by JHB; October 20th, 2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Missed crucial info the first time...
JHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up Love a good food fight.

Too bad so many of the participants in out "food fights" throw garbage and trash vs real food.

Anyway, I prefer Delrin for pivot cups as well. The only reason I went to the Oilite Bronze option was the pic of your sk8. I have run into way too many guys riding outfits like yours that want to stay original. Sorry I assumed.

The Reactor cups are OK..At least they seem to be OK in my Reactor Pro. My OG first run Reactors still have the brass cups and they are OK as well, but I take the time to clean and lube them regularly.

OK in this case means I notice no apparent degradation in performance with the Delrin cups in the Reactor Pro over the brass in my OG Reactors.. which now have Pro trucks as well... Examining the fit under when assembling them originally I was not pleased, but the proof is in the sk8ing and not necessarily what you see on the bench.
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:00 AM   #5
JHB
Shuffling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Too bad so many of the participants in out "food fights" throw garbage and trash vs real food.

Anyway, I prefer Delrin for pivot cups as well. The only reason I went to the Oilite Bronze option was the pic of your sk8. I have run into way too many guys riding outfits like yours that want to stay original. Sorry I assumed.

The Reactor cups are OK..At least they seem to be OK in my Reactor Pro. My OG first run Reactors still have the brass cups and they are OK as well, but I take the time to clean and lube them regularly.

OK in this case means I notice no apparent degradation in performance with the Delrin cups in the Reactor Pro over the brass in my OG Reactors.. which now have Pro trucks as well... Examining the fit under when assembling them originally I was not pleased, but the proof is in the sk8ing and not necessarily what you see on the bench.
No worries, Doc. While I do enjoy my all-vintage gear, the only reason I've got it is because I never sold it/threw it away after I quit skating competitively, and never allowed it to be thrown away during that 20 years of life between my phases of skating addiction.

[off topic]
Last year, when I really started getting back into skating and lurking here, the potential value of some of my skate gear came up in conversation. She was really happy that for all those years I stuck to my guns and didn't let her "toss those old skates; you never skate anymore!"
[/off topic]

Wes and I are now talking about him making a couple sets of Delrin pivot cups for me. Presumably, he will be able/willing to do this for others as well.

It's been so long since I skated on my ProLines (or a non- short forward skate mount, for that matter) that I'm not going to feel any difference going from OG bronze to Delrin cups.