S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old May 24th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1
angoraknitter

Default Show us your Skating Dresses and Costumes

What's your favorite Skating dress to practise or compete in? Past , present?
I'll kick this off with a couple pictures.

I just made a couple dresses to get me started...
angoraknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #2
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

ooh, I think I have made about 200 skating outfits in all, probably more! I'll have to dig out a few pics!! I've always made the costumes for all my students and a few extras... this will be a fun topic!!
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #3
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
ooh, I think I have made about 200 skating outfits in all, probably more! I'll have to dig out a few pics!! I've always made the costumes for all my students and a few extras... this will be a fun topic!!
Jayson you sew too wow,,,do you design also, so much talent in one person. how did you learn to sew, was it out of necessity being in australia?
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #4
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

I think I will send you a copy of my book Rick! that way there wont be so many questions! hahahaa..

I started sewing b/c 1) mum didnt like doing it.. 2) the costume lady kept cutting the fabric on two different grains and ruining the material mum was buying.. and 3) nothing ever seemed to sit right... so I just got mum's sewing machine out when I was 14 and started making basic costumes.. made all of mine ever since! ended up working for four years as a sample sewer and fabric layer for a small firm.. and had a range of mens clothes a few years back.. which went on hold after the first rang b/c I hadn't finished writing my book... and well.. now.... its the film.. I cant keep still for 5mins as u can see!
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #5
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
I think I will send you a copy of my book Rick! that way there wont be so many questions! hahahaa..

I started sewing b/c 1) mum didnt like doing it.. 2) the costume lady kept cutting the fabric on two different grains and ruining the material mum was buying.. and 3) nothing ever seemed to sit right... so I just got mum's sewing machine out when I was 14 and started making basic costumes.. made all of mine ever since! ended up working for four years as a sample sewer and fabric layer for a small firm.. and had a range of mens clothes a few years back.. which went on hold after the first rang b/c I hadn't finished writing my book... and well.. now.... its the film.. I cant keep still for 5mins as u can see!
U cant keep still for 5 mins? Me either, lol.

Yeah, I just taught myself too. Its too hard to find clothes that fit me right since I'm small. I guess one day soon I'll get me another sewing machine so I can look cool!
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #6
rwsz

Quote:

Jayson you are truly amazing, i love your attitude your a go getter for sure. wow i cant sew but my wife made all of my sons outfits and also made Eric Harnes the year he skated worlds in australia 1991, she didnt design them though, well did the long partially. you have done so much in your short life so far.

i will be looking for the signed copy of your book in the mail . then i wont have to question everything lol.

i wish you would put some long clips of your movie so we can see more as it isnt available to us here in the usa.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #7
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

thanks Rick.. as for the film, its not available to anyone at this stage.. only one version (the original that no longer exists) screened at the Festival... soon I'll have more news..

Although I have just uploaded a new video on to myspace, its a 'highlights' from the night of the Premiere screening, which is all fun... u can watch that if you like...

FILM PREMIERE HIGHTLIGHTS - OCT 31, 2006 MELBOURNE

Old May 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #8
bobnva

Quote:
I am really looking forward to seeing this movie! patience patience patience....
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #9
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnva View Post
I am really looking forward to seeing this movie! patience patience patience....
i am too patient lol,,,still waiting to see the documentary figures and loops to no avail.
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #10
rwsz

Quote:
thanks Rick.. as for the film, its not available to anyone at this stage.. only one version (the original that no longer exists) screened at the Festival... soon I'll have more news..

Although I have just uploaded a new video on to myspace, its a 'highlights' from the night of the Premiere screening, which is all fun... u can watch that if you like...

FILM PREMIERE HIGHTLIGHTS - OCT 31, 2006 MELBOURNE

thanks for the clip and what about that signed first edition book lol.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #11
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Oh wow rolaboi, UR a big shot! I was looking at your site. I"m impressed! So whats your book about?
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #12
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Oh wow rolaboi, UR a big shot! I was looking at your site. I"m impressed! So whats your book about?
I'm not so sure about that... but anyway, it's an autobiography, so for most of, its about skating! give or take a few hundred pages! haha.. I have a site for the book, its Rolaboi.com

and Rick, you are very demanding! hahaha... (kidding!)
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #13
angoraknitter

Default Ay...Dresses people!

That's lovely ya'll, now lets see some dresses and costumes pretty please...

Okay, figures and loops, I've been searching youtube for some footage of something other than a traveling camel , I want to see some figures, anyone got some footage you can refer me to? I guess some dance too would be nice. There are so many new things I need to learn. My coach can't physcially do a whole bunch and I need some visuals here. LOL.

Thanks a bunch,

Susanna

Here's a dress I finished today... this one is going to our pro-shop and is a little wider than my child. The second is one I made last week for her.

angoraknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #14
rwsz

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that... but anyway, it's an autobiography, so for most of, its about skating! give or take a few hundred pages! haha.. I have a site for the book, its Rolaboi.com

well Jayson you been around us americans long enough to know how we are, and especially from the northeast lol. thanks for the website.
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #15
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

cummon now Rick.. you know you are a big ole' softie (even if you are from the NE)
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #16
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsk8rgirl View Post
cummon now Rick.. you know you are a big ole' softie (even if you are from the NE)
Bethany i been told that over the years when i am outside of the ne area, they say you have the accent but arent as nasty as the others lmao. i just fine it easier to be friendly and kind.
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #17
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:

Well, one day I'll have to get your book. Well, I think UR great! But in the meantime, you can post pictures of yourself here in one of your "dresses", lol. I would like it!
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #18
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Here's an oldie.. this is Kristen Slade at the age of 9 when i first started teaching her... my costume was pretty simple also.. but there's the first two I'm posting.. from 1992

This one is from 1993 at the World Games in The Hague... I made my outfit, not the dress the Australian Federation President is wearing! hahaha

This one I made at Petra Dayney's house.. yes - there's proof!! I did it on her little machine in the lounge room!! It was for my short program in 1992. I also wore it in 1995 for my long program! It was my good luck cossie!!

Thats the first one I ever made, when I was 14... This is the skating camp where I met Scott Cohen for the first time. I'm with my coach Lynda Flint here in 1984..

That is a team outfit, but I still had to make it... in 1995 with Tammy and Amanda Bryant at the world meet in Colombia!!

This was one of my students, a boy with a very bright future who won several National titles and got injured badly.. and ended his skating at 13.. This was in 1998, Man with the Iron Mask... (well b4 we knew Luca had it!)

This is four of I think maybe 10 figure costumes I made for my girls that year.. This is 1997 at the National meet.. all very happy!

I will post more!!!
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #19
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

and here's a few more... along with a new hair cut for every one! hahaha

A little more 'street' than traditional.. 2003 worlds, short program.. one of my favourite costumes.. and cheap.. i think about $40 in total to make that one.

Another black costume... 2003 Worlds, long program.. pants were sewn inside out so all the seams and roughage was visible, cut in all different shapes.

The last costume I ever wore, as iRolaboi (iRobot) at worlds in 2005. Cost only $40 for material. Graffiti stencil lettering was spray painted all over the entire body, and seams on the outside again.. all very raw..

Worlds 2005, short program. Another one piece suite.. was really in to the seams on the outside, and slimlines...

Another silver costume... 2002 - short program.. it then cut it into a one piece as the pants looked bulky..

Worlds 2002.. another raw/ripped costume... also a fave!

Sorry all these pics are of me... but I dont have many of the others I've made.. I have some recent ones of my little kids I teach, but not the hundreds I made all those years back... lets see!!
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #20
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

This is Tenielle, I made this for her in 2006... a cute little number and lots of bling! she loved it!

And Edan, his costume also for 2006.. I've only made him one..