S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old May 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #41
cherry.rockette
VRDL

i haven't had the chance to photograph more outfits, but us derby girls prefer things less, um, 'nicey', than artistic. plus with all the safety gear, it's easier to go a little more 'tank girl' looking.
so until i get more pics, here's one of many outfits:
cherry.rockette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #42
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

and let me tell you.. in the 15yrs I've been at Caribbean Rollerama, NOT until the 'roller derby girls' (including Cherry!!) has rollerama looked so damn funky! I just lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrve seeing them all at the rink!!! love love love it!! More so b/c it breaks all the rules the club has regarding 'attire' .. b/c they are stuck in the stone age! (that's our rink the b.g again in the pic above!)

rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #43
angoraknitter

Cherry, I think it looks great, very befitting of the sport I can't wait to see more! I love those socks!
angoraknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #44
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I like the socks too, but knowing me, I might pick the killer bunny socks, lol.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:04 AM   #45
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by angoraknitter View Post
What's your favorite Skating dress to practise or compete in? Past , present?
I'll kick this off with a couple pictures.
Oh, now this is a fun question!! I should formally introduced myself first, I guess. I've posted a couple of times on here. I am Stacey, a mom to skaters. My 9-year-old daughter does freestyle and grudgingly figures. lol My 6-year-old son just loves to skate around. I'm not sure he's going to be interested in figure skating, maybe speed. My four-year-old son says that he is not old enough or big enough to skate yet. But anyway... I will have to take a few shots of her skating outfits and figure out how to get them on here. I have her Gold Skate photo, are we allowed to scan in professional pictures from the competitions?

--Stacey

Last edited by Mom2Skaters; May 31st, 2007 at 08:54 PM.
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:07 AM   #46
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
I think I will send you a copy of my book Rick! that way there wont be so many questions! hahahaa..

I started sewing b/c 1) mum didnt like doing it.. 2) the costume lady kept cutting the fabric on two different grains and ruining the material mum was buying.. and 3) nothing ever seemed to sit right... so I just got mum's sewing machine out when I was 14 and started making basic costumes.. made all of mine ever since! ended up working for four years as a sample sewer and fabric layer for a small firm.. and had a range of mens clothes a few years back.. which went on hold after the first rang b/c I hadn't finished writing my book... and well.. now.... its the film.. I cant keep still for 5mins as u can see!
Okay, now this is making me feel bad for not trying to make a skating dress for my daughter. But I did make several costumes for Gold Skate. So, where else do you hear someone say that I made my daughter a teapot skating costume?
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:09 AM   #47
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Skaters View Post
Okay, now this is making me feel bad for not trying to make a skating dress for my daughter. But I did make several costumes for Gold Skate. So, where else do you hear someone say that I made my daughter a teapot skating costume?
dont feel bad, i refused to let any of the mum's of my skaters make any costumes!!! i always made them all... regardless! and then I started teaching the skaters and now they make them! kristen slade is a wonderful sewer now and makes all hers over the past five years..
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:53 AM   #48
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Since this thread was originally started in the artistic forum, and since cherry posted up her "uniform", I figured I'd start one in the Roller Derby forum to see the diversity of Roller Girl wear.

here's the thread:
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...3886#post43886
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:51 PM   #49
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
What's your favorite Skating dress to practise or compete in? Past , present?
I'll kick this off with a couple pictures.
Here's my dd's favorite practice dress made by Icings on ebay...

And here's her one competition dress made by her figures coach...

***I should point out that she cannot pose normal. lol
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:41 AM   #50
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Shes a cutie! Love those shoes btw, I have a pair too, lol.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:54 AM   #51
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Shes a cutie! Love those shoes btw, I have a pair too, lol.
Thank you!
Artistic Skate Videos
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM   #52
angoraknitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Skaters View Post
And here's her one competition dress made by her figures coach...

***I should point out that she cannot pose normal. lol
I love those sleeves! Too cute!
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:11 AM   #53
angoraknitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Since this thread was originally started in the artistic forum, and since cherry posted up her "uniform", I figured I'd start one in the Roller Derby forum to see the diversity of Roller Girl wear.

here's the thread:
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...3886#post43886
You must forgive me I didn't realize anyone of the other diciplines made as big of a fuss over outfits as artistic folks...so I've been educated for certain. I don't mind folks posting here.

Last edited by angoraknitter; June 2nd, 2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM   #54
Bill

Quote:
You must forgive me I didn't realize anyone of the other diciplines made as big of a fuss over outfits as artistic folks...so I've been educated for certain. I don't mind folks posting her...
With speed skaters it's to skin suit or not to skin suit, and goes downhill when they post photos of what's too tight

With new outdoor skaters it's what brand of skate is cooler, K2's or Rollerblades. After a few falls, they ask about but pads.

The new Derby, to me, is about marketing and entertainment. The outfits and names are a big part of it what you see.

Session skaters wear whatever clothes or skates you want to as long as you have fun. Sometime they make a fuss if you wear inlines, but accept them if you can skate with the flow

Artistic Skaters? I've heard them say "I need new outfits, I can't wear that, That's what I wore last year" That means, they need a new Dance, Creative, Figure, and Freestyle outfits. that also means $$$....

B.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:04 AM   #55
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
...Artistic Skaters? I've heard them say "I need new outfits, I can't wear that, That's what I wore last year" That means, they need a new Dance, Creative, Figure, and Freestyle outfits. that also means $$$....
B.
Artistic skaters should be more in tune with FASHION in real time than 'traditional wear'.. keeping up with fashion is what makes the world go round, it drives everything.. if skating were as up to the minute as the Paris runways you'd see alot more attention on our sport with the costumes being a highlight..

Look at ice skating when the skaters wear a costume by a famous designer, the limelight is on them and the costume, whether they are in 1st or last...
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM   #56
cherry.rockette
VRDL

Quote:
The new Derby, to me, is about marketing and entertainment. The outfits and names are a big part of it what you see.
B.
ahhh, big can of worms that one. new school derby (as in the last few years) has two spectrums: the leagues that promote the sporting nature of derby, and those that prefer the spectacle, marketing, etc... my league is about the sport, promoting the hard work and skills of the skaters. we like the fun parts such as names/costumes/dressing up, yes, but that's not the primary reason for doing what we do. and not what we promote our league as being about. i'm not assuming you think it's ONLY about spectacle, but like i said; big can o worms to open is the topic.
cherry.rockette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #57
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
I love those sleeves! Too cute!
Thank you! It was her own idea to have sleeves like that.
Artistic Skate Videos
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM   #58
Mom2Skaters

Quote:

Artistic Skaters? I've heard them say "I need new outfits, I can't wear that, That's what I wore last year" That means, they need a new Dance, Creative, Figure, and Freestyle outfits. that also means $$$....

B.
Oh, I have that problem myself. lol I am always looking for new dresses for my daughter. I just bought two bags of scrap fabric and am planning several dresses. The good thing is that she is a growing children, so as she grows she'll need new costumes.
Artistic Skate Videos
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #59
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry.rockette View Post
ahhh, big can of worms that one. new school derby (as in the last few years) has two spectrums: the leagues that promote the sporting nature of derby, and those that prefer the spectacle, marketing, etc... my league is about the sport, promoting the hard work and skills of the skaters. we like the fun parts such as names/costumes/dressing up, yes, but that's not the primary reason for doing what we do. and not what we promote our league as being about. i'm not assuming you think it's ONLY about spectacle, but like i said; big can o worms to open is the topic.
Cherry,
I think we are refering to the same thing when we talk about the "New" Derby.

Along with the skating costuming is a big part of all Roller Sports and I've get a few request for photos of Artistic skaters so check out the outfits. I'm not very fashion conscience but I do have a few favorites, and they are all on other skaters
Bill
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #60
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
Artistic skaters should be more in tune with FASHION in real time than 'traditional wear'.. keeping up with fashion is what makes the world go round, it drives everything.. if skating were as up to the minute as the Paris runways you'd see alot more attention on our sport with the costumes being a highlight..

Look at ice skating when the skaters wear a costume by a famous designer, the limelight is on them and the costume, whether they are in 1st or last...
Good points! Being in tune with fashion is part of the package and will help the sport grow. I'm just happy I don't have to worry about it much.
Bill