S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old July 24th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #1
purlingwood

Default 7mm to 8mm Sleeves a good idea

I keep 5 sets of skates going for 4 people.

One skate has 7mm bearings and need new ones soon. Are sleeves a good idea, or just get the right bearings for those axles.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Some things to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlingwood View Post
I keep 5 sets of skates going for 4 people.

One skate has 7mm bearings and need new ones soon. Are sleeves a good idea, or just get the right bearings for those axles.
1) I prefer the correct bearing for the axle but have used sleeves on occasion as a temporary fix.

2) There are 2 different sizes of sleeves out there. One size is for the normal "7mm" axle, the other sleeve is for the 9/32 axles used in the loose ball sk8s. The 7mm bearings will not fit on this axle because it is slightly bigger than the 7mm bearing ID. IF you get the spacers for the bigger axles, they will not fit your axles properly, as in slightly loose. The correct spacers fit properly and cause no real problems sk8ing.

3) The real concern is I have found these intermingled in the inventories of the various sk8 distributors. They look the same, but do not fit the same.

4) What sk8s have the 7mm axles?? It may be simpler to put 8mm trucks on the plates.
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #3
purlingwood

They're sure-grip X5 plates, so getting 8mm axles should be easy. I've seen someone sell them for $20.

I'm waiting for a bearing press to come in. I am going to clean them out real good, pull in the inner seal, and grese them. When they wear, I'll deal with it when they need to be cleaned again. One or two are a bit loose.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote