S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #21
Matriarch

Default Do you ever see quads at A2A??

I am interested in skating it in quads next year. Is that weird?
I have gotten the impression that A2A is having a hard time finding support and tha skaters it once had, so I am wondering why don't more derby grrrls do it for the endurance and for fun. I hope to bring a group of derby people to A2A next year, a few have already expressed interest.
If you have trouble finding volunteers, you could ask the derby scene for help, because it is seriously growing and maybe we could trade/share fans and support.
Matriarch #352
Gainesville Roller Rebels
Florida Roller Derby!
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #22
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

It started as a quad skate/race.

So bring 'em back!
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #23
skatea2a

We still get quad skaters out on the course. Though they are out numbered
by the inline skaters. Still, quads are more than welcome to skate the event.
We have never forgotten which type of skates first did the event.
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #24
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Skates are skates! 4 wheels, 5 wheels, 3 wheels, in a line, or on the corners of the skates!!!

You can register there at the expo, so make the commitment to go!! i will see everyone in t-5 days!!
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM   #25
sk8crazy

All the best to everyone participating this year! Looking forward to reading your stories.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM   #26
WonderGirl

Perhaps wise to expect fuel issues and plan accordingly.

While I am not currently in GA, so I can not give first hand knowledge, what I can offer is I have seen a little talk about there being troubles to aquire auto fuel on the southern east coast. Both from the a2a list and then talking with local eng. friends who work for the major energy companies based here in Houston. I am sure Atlanta locals can give better feedback to the true troubles that there may be or if it is more of built up talk.

What I can offer is why there would be troubles currently in that region. With the recent hurricanes, refineries shut down or at the very least go on minimal production. The largest refinery in the US is here in Houston, TX. Baytown actually. Ike paid us a visit recently. With power returning here finding fuel is not so tough in the city and immediate burbs. But we are also near the start of the supply chain. GA has the joy of being towards the end of those supply lines so it's a trickle along problem that will take time to resolve. I would offer that if you are driving to/from and in the region of N. FL, GA, SC, and NC (there may be others but this is the line I've bothered to get info on) to fill up when the chance arrives, try not to drive a premium fuel auto if you have the option, (mine main drive is premium only and it was tough for a while to get the higher grade) and consider having a can in the back/trunk.

(I'm looking at you Birgit! )

Or it really may not be a problem and I'm too whacked on coffee and fingers needed something to do when I should be packing instead.

PS I should add I hope this does not discourage anyone from coming to this awesome event!! Check out the lasted weather predictions for the weekend! Beautiful (jinx) It'll be my first time skating the Friday night skate and I'm really looking forward to it.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM   #27
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderGirl View Post
and consider having a can in the back/trunk.

(I'm looking at you Birgit! )

Or it really may not be a problem and I'm too whacked on coffee and fingers needed something to do when I should be packing instead.
Having a can in the trunk is for sissies - us tough Vikings, we rather walk than... And I just cleaned my car, so your Highness will not get dirty

You better get some packing done - no being late at the flight!!

This I just got this via the A2A list:

"The confirmed skater list with all pre-registered skaters has been updated on the website at http://www.a2a.net/confirm/conf2008.html. It includes all applications received via active.com or u.s. mail as of today; additionally, it reflects any bus/distance changes that I have via email.

Please let me know if you see any errors.

Thanks, Jim chapman, a2a registration"

I counted some 150 skaters +/-

Thatīs going to be he** of a Friday night skate though the darkness of Atlanta - see y'all in just a wee bit!

/Birgit
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:45 AM   #28
gopherfan

Hmm, I went to fill up here in northern Virginia and the station was out of regular. It may be a ripple effect from further south. The A2A distribution list says the gas situation in Atlanta has improved recently, but people like me who like to run the tank down before stopping will have to make more frequent stops.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:05 AM   #29
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Gas quantity has VASTLY improved in the last day or so. I would not be scared at all any longer. Just in case though, i wouldnt let your gas tank get below 3/8 or 1/4. Just to be safe.

I cant wait to see everyone this weekend!!! (tommorow for some of ya!!!!)

Stop by and see me at the expo, i will have matter wheels for sale, aloing with all of my Pinnacle shwag, and Boots! (check out my brand new yet to be released/named model also)
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:22 AM   #30
WonderGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
...but people like me who like to run the tank down before stopping will have to make more frequent stops.
Am the same way with going low which is exactly why I made mention for those with similar habits. On way to Chicagoland this year I lost track with buddy chatting in my ear while on OK Turnpike and near MO did one of those notice of the lit fuel light. "How long has that been on?" Turn the air off, and hop behind a big ol' slow going 18 wheeler chanting "gas, gas, gas, I need gas" for a few stressful miles.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM   #31
CrazyGambit
Socially Unacceptable

I had hoped to make it to A2A this year but i realized a few months back that i was not going to make it. The Event is this weekend and i hope that all who attends has a great event. Good luck guys and gals. Please give us a report when you all get back.
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #32
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

The lead pack came through Dacula (38miles into the skate) right at the 2hr mark.
Randy Bowman had a 30meter lead, he was waiting for the chase pack of 9, of the 9 I could recognize Eddy Matzger, Dan Burger, Luiz Carlos Meija, Peter S. Rainbo (sorry can't spell his last name) Mike Anderson, Dennis Humphry, and 3 that I did not recognize, one of them was in APRR suit, another was in a yellow TUSA and one in grey/black/yellow suit.
More later ...
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #33
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

top 3 men were; Peter S., Luis M, and Eddy M,

Top 3 women were; Martine C., Rebecca G. and Marcy T,

Two short clips from the sprint finish - and yes I do not make my living making films but better than nothing I hope...

http://www.birgitholme.com/topfemale.m4v

http://www.birgitholme.com/A2Amentop.m4v
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #34
sk8scott

Congrats to everyone who made it down there for A2A! My respect is equal for those who gave it their best shot, whether or not they finished, as it is for the folks who ended up on the podium. Here's hoping that everyone is in one piece and resting well!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #35
speedysktr
President of Everything

This marks my 13th start and finish (in a row) at the full distance. I'm wiped right now, truly wiped; more later. With very little training, speedy is ecstatic with his best finish in years and very likely invigorated.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #36
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
This marks my 13th start and finish (in a row) at the full distance. I'm wiped right now, truly wiped; more later. With very little training, speedy is ecstatic with his best finish in years and very likely invigorated.
Sounds like you have fun........
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #37
bobarazzi
Every race starts here!

Default Optimism trumps the day, A2A 2008

It should have be obvious from the start that the optimism and high spirits of my car ride from Atlanta into Athens with the Starykowiczs, and Starkowicz-to-be, Daniel would be what it took for me to leg out my third best time in seven successful A2A adventures. Truly this event is beyond racing, this is travelling. Our ride was filled with jokes, stories and plans for races to come. All thought of pain and endurance was put on hold as the rolling countryside succumbed to the flattening effect of riding in an SUV.

Read the whole post and a few pictures here.

Great Job everyone.
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #38
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinghornet View Post
Sounds like you have fun........
...as I am prone to say, "It was real and it was fun, but it wasn't real fun", but would I trade it for any other experience? No way. Like I said, I'm invigorated. Every year on that course, I rediscover myself. It's like waking from a fleeting dream of self actualized clarity. You live it while it's happening, savor it when it's over and grasp at the dissolving visions of grandeur as they dissipate. A performance less than three hours just does not allow for the instrospection that one finds on this course.

This year, my buddy Dr. Dave, Dave Finholt M.D., and I finally had that opportunity to realistically stitch together a plan to skate together for the whole thing and we did it. Standing near each other at the start, finishing hand in hand: with innumerable looks over my shoulder to make sure he was still there, it was indeed a perfectly executed gameplan.

Suffice to say that this year's event has eclipsed all recent A2A's and has truly reminded me what it's all about and what is important. As usual followng this race, when my thoughts become mingled with slumber, they are drawn back to the events of the race so I'll sign off for now before I doze off and start stroking in my sleep like a sleeping pup.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #39
online inline

I am totally jazzed at seeing the results. Good job, Speedy! I believe i saw Jessica right up there, too. Also thrilled to see the great showings of Francisco, Luis Moreno, and Martine. Hope i am not missing anyone, but once we start hearing the stories, that should become clear.

Congrats!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #40
BlackCrow1515
SPDSKTR of Alabama

Post Athens to Atlanta 2008 Recap (my POV)! LONG READ!

NOTE: All times listed are in the Eastern time zone.

I decided to man up and do the infamous...

*DRUMROLL*

...52.4 mile distance. I managed to barely make it to the 38- and 87-mile starting line before they cut loose. Eddy, of course, had a costume. I could definitely tell there was some decent effort and time put into the bee he wore. Everyone standing around applauded and I heard tons of "GOOD LUCK!"s. It felt really strange watching everyone else leave considering I've done the 38-mile distance the past three A2As. Everyone piled in the bus about 7:55 a.m. and they proceeded to crank the bus.

CORRECTION!

They proceeded to ATTEMPT to crank the bus. For some reason, it would not start. One of my teammates is somewhat mechanically inclined and started making guesses... which only seemed to fall on deaf ears. About 8:05 a.m., we heard, "PILE UP IN THE SAG WAGON!" This was followed by many, "Oh hell..."s. Luckily, we had a van at our disposal which was being driven by one teammate's girlfriend. We picked up a fellow skater who did not hesitate to take shotgun (I forget his name now... I truly apologize if you read this!). He was from the Orlando area and said he skated marathons in around 1:27:xx. "Aw damn!" was my first thought. See... my plan was for our team to win this thing. Little did I know, a few other competitors with familiar names (Herb and Chuck for starters) had the same idea we had: research previous times and decide, "Hell... that's not too bad! We can beat that!" I didn't see any real threats from pre-registered skaters except one that really stood out: A 15-year-old girl, Mia, who skated 1:23:xx marathons when she was TWELVE and her coach.

Chuck broke off rather quickly and the rest of the pack seemed to match his pace. "Seriously?!" was my first thought. "Okay guys... we're catching him!" I broke out and started the small 150-foot chase. We caught him in a matter of seconds and I could swear he said, "I was wondering if I was going to do this thing alone!" My guys and I lead for the first seven or eight miles, it felt. Patricia, Mia's coach, was complaining about the pace. "We have a long way to go! It's inconsistent!" So forth. Hell... coast downhill, skate up. I see nothing inconsistent about it. Both Patricia and Mia dropped back very quickly. I don't remember which mile marker it was, but I was rather surprised. By mile 22 or so, we had been averaging 17.5 MPH. Cooking some serious ass, in my opinion. When it came time to turn left on a major highway, the police officer said, "TURN LEFT AND GO STRAIGHT!" several times. So, we turned left, hugging the inside of the turn, and kept going straight. As you know, the skaters' travel path is marked by yellow S's with arrows on the RIGHT side of the road. We were on the LEFT. We crossed Rockbridge Highway (which was listed on the direction sheet) and skated about two miles before questions were asked. "We haven't caught anyone else!" "I don't see Power-Gel packets or water bottles!" "My ankles hurt!" "I think I just farted! Does anyone smell it?" So forth. We finally turned around after skating up (and going down) two nice-sized hills... train tracks being on the base of one of the climbs. Lots of profanity was thrown around (especially from me because my knees were starting to fail). We skated the two miles back and had to jump the train tracks while booking about 30 MPH downhill. Luckily, nobody fell. We get to the top of the last hill and see skaters crossing the highway, going on a side road. Again... more profanity. We get back on track and skate maybe a half-mile to go flying past a turn that was poorly marked. The S was right at the intersection! Some people made it, the rest of us had to turn around (again) to get back on track and catch up with the pack again.

The lead pack stuck together pretty well with the exception of Robert Clare. I'm not calling him a bad sport or down-talking him at all. His strategy was actually pretty smart in the competitive nature. He kept on trucking along whenever we got turned around or had some complications. This forced us to catch back up with him and burn more energy than was necessary. His tactics, however, got him the win in the end, so congratulations to him! Really!

I learned very quickly I was going to have some problems with Herb. That man is a freaking animal on hills. It looks effortless when he skates up them, but he just creeps along. He never did tell me his secret...

About mile 30-something, my body started to shut down a bit. I got left on an uphill and got VERY frustrated. I ended up going down Silver Hill alone, but Jesus H.... it was fast enough solo. I was expecting it to be a bit more smooth, though. Oh well... I loved that little adrenaline rush. I noticed that the pavement seemed to glisten in the sunlight with a silver shine to it. I assume that's where the name comes from. While climbing the next hill, I caught up with a skater named Lin. He gave me several pointers that saved my butt in the last stretch of the skate. I would like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I felt bad for leaving him behind, but I knew I could bump my pace up. After skating with him for several miles, I had to. I had this "second wave" come over me and I started burning the asphalt up. I knew I was holding 16 MPH the final 13 or 14 miles. I caught up with one teammate, Jeff, who skates better when angry. I yelled things at him I never would have at any time. I knew he was getting mad. I heard a "F**k you..." get mumbled and he did try to keep up. I guess he had enough, though. About a half-mile later, I started getting passed by cyclists. I started chasing them and they gave me a thumbs up. They eventually pulled away, but I DID NOT DRAFT THEM! I know cross-sport drafting is against the rules (if I remember correctly), so I stopped myself from the tempting act. Just minutes after the cyclists, I caught back up with two more teammates... Brandon and Will. I shouted our team slogan and got their attention. They matched my pace for a little while and dropped back. "I'm in so much pain!" they said. "My entire body is screaming, guys! BUT I CAN'T FEEL IT! *Laughs hysterically*" Yeah. I felt like a madman. I felt unstoppable. I knew Piedmont Park was just minutes away. I just laughed 90% of the rest of the event. People looked at me like I was nuts.

There came a section that ran parallel with railroad tracks with several red lights... I don't remember the name of the road, but it was a fun one. I got stopped at a red light next to a couple in a VW Jetta. The driver said, "Hey! Cars are faster, buddy!" I took that as a challenge. I ran the light, came to the next one just as he pulled up beside me, which is when I ran that one. This continued for five lights or so and I got caught at a really busy one. I laughed at him and said, "Skates are faster, buddy!" His response: "You little punk ass." His girlfriend (or wife?) just laughed her ass off. While crossing some bridge after the little Jetta race, I asked some people how far up the other skaters were. "About four minutes." That meant I was actually GAINING on them! Due to red lights later on, I lost two or three minutes I worked so hard on, but anyway...

I turned off that busy highway onto that nasty gatorback. I did what most other skaters said they did: HIT THE SIDEWALK! Maneuvering around some trees and power poles was rather tricky, but I swapped between the two surfaces quite often. Once I finished that little stretch, I got back onto some smooth road and started recognizing things from the fun skate from Friday night. At the second light on the smooth pavement, I started to draft a car through the green light. Bad move. The officer saw my helmet and held his hand out to the car in front of me to tell him to stop. The Saturn wagon slammed his brakes on and I hit his back window HARD. I cracked it (sorry bud!) with my elbow, I think. It's not bruised, but it hurts. The officer apologized severely and I just said, "It's alright!" I felt too good. I was excited. When I realized I was coming around the final turn to go into Piedmont Park, my heart rate shot up and my legs got the small cramps in them. "NO WAY, BUD! NOT NOW!" I just talked myself to the finish line. "DON'T CRAMP UP! DON'T CRAMP!" I crossed the line and just breathed that sigh of relief (mixed in with all the panting from holding that hard pace for such a long time).

After settling down and getting some food, the skate experience stories started. Chuck, Johnny, Herb, and I all talked about getting split up, catching up, etc. I can honestly say I made a few new friends (as cheesy as it may sound). I look forward to seeing them all at later events.

Our team did VERY well (in my opinion).

Matt Ford - 5th overall, 1st in division.
Justin Horn - 8th overall, 2nd in division.
Brandon Kimbrell - 9th overall, 1st in division.
Will McDonald - 10th overall, 2nd in division.
Jeff Sosnowchik - 11th overall, 3rd in division.

Hope I didn't bore you!