S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old May 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #21
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSnatch View Post
I skate indoors and outdoors in only quads. I have nothing against inlines, but since I play derby, I want to focus on the skates I need for my sport. Inline skate technique is different (double push) and could throw me off my quad game.
It depends on how you look at it. Skating on inlines can be beneficial when crossing over to quads. They work different muscle groups, your balance improves, you learn what edges are, etc.

In my skate bag right now is a pair of artistic quads, speed quads, and speed inlines. The crossover benefit is amazing. Applying the knowledge of figures to speed is a huge advantage to skate control and body position. Likewise the power and strength from speed helps with the artistic stuff.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #22
HVSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
I would try to find out what her problem is with inlines.
By all means. And hopefully, once you've asked her, she will look you in the eyes and ask you what your problem is with quads.

Bottom line: You'll have fun on either. You'll get a good workout on either. You'll go fast (if you want) on either. Seriously, out on the trail, I skate no slower (on my quads or inlines) than anyone else I see on inlines, except for the racers (who are concentrating only on going fast for long distances). Most of the folks I see along the trail (on skates) are there for the workout and to have fun with that workout. You can do that on either style of skate.
HVSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #23
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Easy for you to say, but you never know when some bike might pass............
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #24
bettyd643

Default Quads-Inlines

When I first began skating the only outdoor skates (and I hate to date myself) were the clamp-on skates that used a key to tighten them. The wheels were made of steel. We called them "suicide wheels" because you could count on them coming off at the most inconvenient times.

I was the first person in my town to own a pair of outdoor skates that actually had a boot attached although the wheels were still made of steel. I fault-lined a fairly steep street one time and the wheels vibrated so badly my feet went numb. It felt like I was doing at least 100 mph and I was sure if I fell (or a car came up the street at the wrong time) I was dead. After this I stayed with the church parking lot which was pretty level and had a smooth asphalt surface.

When decent outdoor wheels became available I mounted some on my indoor skates which was a vast improvement over the steels.

I tried inlines and like the stability over irregular surfaces but not being able to do all the things I usually do on skates drives me a bit batty.

I've been looking at some new outdoor quad ideas that seem interesting. For example the new "Quadline" skates use 100 mm wheels and extra wide trucks which would seem to overcome some of the problems with using quads outdoors. They are available with a variety of different boots. Another interesting pair of skates I've been looking at are the "Scorpions" which are basically attachable Quadlines. Fortunately they use a much better system for attachment than the old "suicide wheels".

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used either of these types of skates.

Last edited by bettyd643; May 20th, 2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
bettyd643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #25
LaurieFlood

Default Relevant Threads

Hi Betty,

We've just been there, done that quite a bit in the Quad forum. Here is one thread:

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3076

and another:

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3147

I seem to recall there was another one in the past two weeks, but I can't find it. Maybe after reading these, you might come up with addtional questions.
LaurieFlood is offline   Reply With Quote