S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #21
Hanger18

hello all,
I could have warned you about Bear Creek. They use the sport court snap together plastic tiles which is a totally unfriendly surface to skate on. M and I tried it once early on since it is fairly close to the house. We spent Sunday afternoon at a cub scout function. Although it was pretty warm and humid outside it was a pretty good time. Discovered that they are planning to have a skating party for the pack so I am trying to get Bob to agree to the budget. Hope to see you guys soon. Maybe this weekend, we will have to see..

C
Hanger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #22
fierocious1

You know, I have still been thinking about a rink scorecard for the houston area. If anyone want to check out rinks here in the Houston area, we could maybe give them some insight to how they rank. So far we have seen several rinks. Might even go to some others over the course of a couple of months and each of us score the rinks maybe as a group. Like a tour maybe. I have a basic outline drawn up. 50% of the score is floor conditions(after all we are trying to skate), size, grip, roughness, etc. . Upkeep of the facility, variation in music, sound system, cleanliness and many other things are on the scorecard. When it is all over, go home to Champions. It may give us a better appreciation of where we skate. Since we skated some of the rinks already, we would not have to go back to those. What do you think?
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #23
Hanger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
You know, I have still been thinking about a rink scorecard for the houston area. If anyone want to check out rinks here in the Houston area, we could maybe give them some insight to how they rank. So far we have seen several rinks. Might even go to some others over the course of a couple of months and each of us score the rinks maybe as a group. Like a tour maybe. I have a basic outline drawn up. 50% of the score is floor conditions(after all we are trying to skate), size, grip, roughness, etc. . Upkeep of the facility, variation in music, sound system, cleanliness and many other things are on the scorecard. When it is all over, go home to Champions. It may give us a better appreciation of where we skate. Since we skated some of the rinks already, we would not have to go back to those. What do you think?
M and I sort of did that with a few rinks in the area and came back to Champions. I am sure you will agree that the biggest down side(s) to Champions is the large kid crowd and the music due to point 1. Overall, however, I dont really have problem with the weekend crowds as it is bringing in the $$ for the Hedricks which means that the place is not at risk of failing. Bob, the manager, realizes that the older crowd has its "special needs" and always tries to accommodate for our Thursday session. We usually get the more age appropriate music on Thursday and he always has the floor swept for us (which is much appreciated). They have won me over and I really dont have a reason to look elsewhere for another place to spend my precious free time but if you can find a better place that is closer to my house, please let me know...

c
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #24
fierocious1

Oh, I am quite aware of what rink is the best. No contest there. I pass several on the way to get there....
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #25
Sk8fever

I'm all for trying new places and giving honest reports, but you'd have to visit a rink all hours it is open to know how each day/night session is. One could "rank" the floor and general cleanliness/customer service, but not so much the music and crowd. One person may like lots of kids, one may not. One may like hip hop, one may not. So as far as the crowd and music, just an honest report of what was encountered would suffice. All that said, my time and money are not worth the risk if I have heard first hand that a rink's floor is bad or the place is dirty. If I get conflicting opinions, I'll check it out for myself. Even so, if some of us agree to meet at one place for a trial skate, that would be fun! Hint... how about somewhere on the south side? I have not been to Pearwood yet. Or Almeda.
Sk8fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #26
Hanger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fever View Post
I'm all for trying new places and giving honest reports, but you'd have to visit a rink all hours it is open to know how each day/night session is. One could "rank" the floor and general cleanliness/customer service, but not so much the music and crowd. One person may like lots of kids, one may not. One may like hip hop, one may not. So as far as the crowd and music, just an honest report of what was encountered would suffice. All that said, my time and money are not worth the risk if I have heard first hand that a rink's floor is bad or the place is dirty. If I get conflicting opinions, I'll check it out for myself. Even so, if some of us agree to meet at one place for a trial skate, that would be fun! Hint... how about somewhere on the south side? I have not been to Pearwood yet. Or Almeda.
Now I have heard from Ed, I think, that Almeda got a new wood floor installed which might be worth checking out. Based on the people I have met that skate there regularly it would probably be a fun place to skate. I just cannot handle the drive at this point. I feel your pain Lloyd..
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #27
Sk8fever

According to their website, Pearwood has their Saturday session 12-10:30, with 7:30-10:30 designated as "Retro night." This might all change when summer hours kick in, though. Someone I talked to said it's nice, but the floor is smaller than DARR.

Almeda did get a new floor after Ike. They don't have a website, but I did read this somewhere. I will ask around about it and see if I can find out what days have the smaller crowds.
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #28
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Turns out the new wood floor at Almeda after IKE was just hype. It has the same floor it had for years prior to the storm. They replaced a few of the boards and coated it with roll-on. I guess it depends on what they mean when they say "new".

Almeda has a pretty good sound system and the roll-on on the wood floor is about a year old. If it weren't for the people that skate there that I've known for 20 plus years I'd be skating somewhere else. Everything else is pretty much the same as it was before the storm. They put in a projection TV in the concession stand area but it hasn't worked all year.

Hopefully, one day, someone will buy that rink and turn it into the best rink in Houston. Not trying to discourage anyone from skating there. The floor is good and the music is OK but don't expect it to be the best rink in Houston. JamSkateAddiction has skated there several times. Thought she woulda weighed in by now.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:09 AM   #29
Sk8fever

Default Revised: Dairy Ashford Closure June 7-8 2010

Hey y'all, tonight I saw the calendar for DARR and the new dates for floor maintenance are Monday June 7 and Tues June 8. These days are not usual public days anyway, but thought I'd let you know that now Sunday June 6 it will be open for the public session.

Talked to a guy there tonight who said Funplex at Beechnut and Eldridge is not crowded on Sundays and he skates there sometimes to work on his footwork. That place used to be called Fame City (in my old neighborhood BTW) but I never skated there. The floor is supposedly similar to that at DARR.

And thanks Edward for your comments on Almeda. Sounds like it's still worth trying out for me. Sometimes the crowd can make a floor seem better as long as you're having fun!
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM   #30
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Oh, no problem. Yep, Funplex has almost the same floor as DARR but the one at Funplex is concrete. Last time I skated at DARR it seemed to me that the floor was some sorta tile. That was a long time ago by the way. But still the feel of it was very odd to me and not very fast. So they are similar. I think I have some video from a DARR session I skated but I'm not in the video. I was there but I was doing all of the filming.

Keep in mind that Almeda has skaters in a wide age range and the DJ tries to please everyone. What a chore. Works out good for me since there are songs that I don't skate to so I get to talk to some of the people there that I've skated with for quite some time. Some of the songs that are played...I think to myself...how can anyone skate to that??? Anyway, there are people on the floor skating to it so I don't knock it. I just sit it out and wait for something to be played that I like to skate to.

Let me know when you plan to make the Almeda trip so I can be sure to be there. Been doing a lotta engagement and wedding planning stuff lately which really cuts into my skating time.
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:28 PM   #31
fierocious1

Gotta go out of town this weekend, but am trying to figure out when and where I am gonna skate......I have the need for speed........
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #32
fierocious1

Well went to Lufkin this weekend to take care of some things. Went skating at the old rink I used to go to. Floor coat was 10 years old and still ultra grippy. Floor is wavyer than I remembered. Several dips in the floor. Rink has a medium sized floor. Smaller than Champions but better grip. I pushed my ankles to their limit. Never slipped or slid, could not do a T stop. Sound system was Ok but not as hot as we are used to at Champions. Not a bad 2 hour session. Lots of proximity mines though and all going different directions which made it interesting to say the least... Did not fall! A Good day.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #33
Hanger18

Quote:
Well went to Lufkin this weekend to take care of some things. Went skating at the old rink I used to go to. Floor coat was 10 years old and still ultra grippy. Floor is wavyer than I remembered. Several dips in the floor. Rink has a medium sized floor. Smaller than Champions but better grip. I pushed my ankles to their limit. Never slipped or slid, could not do a T stop. Sound system was Ok but not as hot as we are used to at Champions. Not a bad 2 hour session. Lots of proximity mines though and all going different directions which made it interesting to say the least... Did not fall! A Good day.
Feeling the need for some speed myself as our sitter bailed on us last week and we had a b-day party on Sunday. This week is also at risk as I still have no sitter. Might have to play the nuclear option and go alone but dont tell M. lol.. We will be out of town this weekend so tear it up for me..

C
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #34
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Oh, no problem. Yep, Funplex has almost the same floor as DARR but the one at Funplex is concrete. Last time I skated at DARR it seemed to me that the floor was some sorta tile. That was a long time ago by the way. But still the feel of it was very odd to me and not very fast. So they are similar. I think I have some video from a DARR session I skated but I'm not in the video. I was there but I was doing all of the filming.

Keep in mind that Almeda has skaters in a wide age range and the DJ tries to please everyone. What a chore. Works out good for me since there are songs that I don't skate to so I get to talk to some of the people there that I've skated with for quite some time. Some of the songs that are played...I think to myself...how can anyone skate to that??? Anyway, there are people on the floor skating to it so I don't knock it. I just sit it out and wait for something to be played that I like to skate to.

Let me know when you plan to make the Almeda trip so I can be sure to be there. Been doing a lotta engagement and wedding planning stuff lately which really cuts into my skating time.
What kind of Sunday session does Almeda have? And about speeding....? What is the floor like at Almeda?
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #35
Hanger18

Currently have sitter for tonight so M and I should be rolling tonight. woohoo..
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #36
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Do y'all remember back when Memorial City Mall had a skating rink in it? That was kind of weird. Not sure when it was built, but it was gone by about '93 or '94. Looking at it now, even though it is not a usual place for a rink, it is definitely a pretty cool place to have one. Wow, I had not thought of that rink in 10 or 15 years...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #37
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
What kind of Sunday session does Almeda have? And about speeding....? What is the floor like at Almeda?
Not too many people speeding there. The floor is wood with about 1 year old roll-on.
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #38
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Do y'all remember back when Memorial City Mall had a skating rink in it? That was kind of weird. Not sure when it was built, but it was gone by about '93 or '94. Looking at it now, even though it is not a usual place for a rink, it is definitely a pretty cool place to have one. Wow, I had not thought of that rink in 10 or 15 years...
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #39
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I don't remember that...been skating since I was 16. Was it an ice skating rink?
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #40
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

No, it was a roller rink. It wasn't out in the middle, like at the Galleria. It was in a big long storefront. I think that the mall was still trying to recover from 1987...

I don't think that it was a particularly good place to skate, so unless you had been cruising the mall and had seen it, you might not have ever known it was there. Kind of like how nobody has been to that rink out on Mason Rd, but even lower profile than that.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote