S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Ancient1

Default It's Your Fault, yes your fault...

All of you who are skating again; It is your fault. It is especially the new kids fault. I am now suffering long to get my weight down. I don't know if I can do it, but I am working hard on it.

I want to get back to skating again. I need my weight down. SO I NOW HAVE TO SUFFER.

My wife cooks too well for me and treats me like a king. Not good for keeping the weight down. She would make me a great breakfast with 2 eggs, 3 sausage patties, 2 slices of bread. Then I would have a decent lunch at work then I would have a big dinner. It is hard to tell my wife "NO" or "ENOUGH". But I did discuss it with my wife and I laid out a plan. She agreed and in fact, she is joining me... But don't tell her I know that she cheats. Actually she doesn't need to lose weight.

Ok, here it is:
Breakfast:
M-F -None
S-S - traditional
Lunch:
All week - Sandwich or chicken - try to keep it under 1000 cal. Usually keep it to about 600 cal.

Dinner:
6 days - Prepackaged Lean meal, Less than 500 cal.
1 day (Either Saturday or Sunday) a nice steak or something as my reward.

Most of the time I am eating 1000 to 1500 calories a day. I have been doing that for almost 3 weeks now. I have dropped almost 3 lbs over that 3 week period.

Most of the time I am not hungry. The worse part is waiting till lunch time to eat my first meal. But after that meal, I am fine for the rest of the day. The good thing is that on the weekdays, I am too busy working that I don't have time to eat so temptation isn't usually a problem. While I am at home, my wife keeps her eyes on me and that keeps me straight.

The result is that I intend to be able to skate in about a year or 2, and it is all your fault. THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM   #2
krisapin
Darth Sk8r

actually, you should switch breakfast & lunch if you're going to skip a meal.

by skipping breakfast, you're forcing your body to run on empty which puts it into starvation mode. your body, which hasn't had any fuel since the night before,is saying "I have to burn what little fuel I have as efficiently as possible." which in turn means you lose little weight.(this part is especially true if you eat dinner early)

this may sound odd but fat is actually the most efficient fuel in the body containing 9 calories & this is what the body will burn first in starvation mode. it will then store the carbs & proteins (4calories each) it isn't using as fat. since the body believes that this is what it should be burning.

instead of sticking to the traditional 3 meals per day routine, try switching to 5-6 meals per day with significantly smaller portions. this way you'll never feel hungry,your body won't be in starvation mode and your body will constantly be burning fuel by digesting.

this is the way I ate when I was racing road bikes with the USCF and it only altered when the season was over & then only for a couple of weeks as I still had off season training.
krisapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Ancient1

Tried that. Didn't work, especially the 5 to 6 meals. I was more hungry with multiple small meals than with a sandwich at lunch. I usually get a ham or roast beef sandwich with mustard or sometimes a cuban sandwich. Sometimes I will get a prepared chicken meal. I get them at Publix Deli. If I get the chicken, I am pushing 1000 calories. So I don't get the chicken that often. Usually a sandwich, mostly on rye bread or sour dough bread.

Yes, I heard that breakfast is the most important meal. I find that I am less hungry in the morning waiting for lunch than I am if I eat breakfast and skip lunch. I am not looking for a quick loss. I am looking for something sustainable that doesn't cause me to be hungry. Also this has my wife in support of the program and so far it works. Let's hope I don't backslide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisapin View Post
actually, you should switch breakfast & lunch if you're going to skip a meal.

by skipping breakfast, you're forcing your body to run on empty which puts it into starvation mode. your body, which hasn't had any fuel since the night before,is saying "I have to burn what little fuel I have as efficiently as possible." which in turn means you lose little weight.(this part is especially true if you eat dinner early)

this may sound odd but fat is actually the most efficient fuel in the body containing 9 calories & this is what the body will burn first in starvation mode. it will then store the carbs & proteins (4calories each) it isn't using as fat. since the body believes that this is what it should be burning.

instead of sticking to the traditional 3 meals per day routine, try switching to 5-6 meals per day with significantly smaller portions. this way you'll never feel hungry,your body won't be in starvation mode and your body will constantly be burning fuel by digesting.

this is the way I ate when I was racing road bikes with the USCF and it only altered when the season was over & then only for a couple of weeks as I still had off season training.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #4
rwsz

Jim have a light breakfast, it gets the body and metabolism going and doesnt produce fat. have an oatmeal or cheerios something like that with toast and no butter. sucks i know i am doing similar during the week, exercising more also and its taking most of my extra time but i need it. good luck.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

It's rather like trying to quit smoking isn't it ?
Or any other addiction for that matter.
Until you actually tell yourself that you're going to get something done and mentally access the implications it's the same old activity forever.
I wondered how your diet was going to work out this past summer, the one that involved a hunk of meat a week...
Drives me nuts to be in the proximity of people that are ten pounds underweight, their vigor, and energy are un-nerving.

I like to start with a decent breakfast (2 of my chickens organic eggs, so fresh they are still warm), never have lunch, an energy bar in the mid-afternoon a handful or two of dried fruit and or mixed nuts in the evening or dinner (two or three times a week).I don't eat late, sleeping on a full stomach is a no-no.
No sugar, not much starch, many vegetables very little or no meat.
On days I get exercise (skate,snowboard,horseback, bicycle) I'll have a yogurt and fruit during or after.
When you are actually hungry everything tastes better, the difference between actually being hungry and caving in to the grumbles of an acidic stomach is an acquired skill.
The end does justify the means,err, if you don't mind it doesn't matter, err, all's well that ends well, err, cut bait or fish?
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:21 PM   #6
QuetzalPhoenix

edit - not helpful!

Last edited by QuetzalPhoenix; May 13th, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
QuetzalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM   #7
DanSchallock

Hey Jim, I am really excited for you. Just suffer for now. When you get past the 6 month mark, it won't be hard work any more. Honestly, super excited for you!

Ok, so you are without a doubt the freestyle expert and I will always defer to your greater wisdom on that, but let me off a couple of nutrition tips. (If I may be so bold)

1) based on your current weight, 1000 a day may be too low. I have studied that if you don't hit the optimum range your metabolism may go into famine-mode and if it does that it will do 2 things; (a. break down more muscle than fat, and b. slow way down and build fat more easily from less). 1500 calories a day is an aggressive plan for you, but its cool if you can do it. I would just try to stay closer to 1500 than 1000 so your metabolism stays up.

2) I am totally with you in that I also cannot eat breakfast and then skip lunch, doesn't work for me either (in terms of being able to stand it). Having said that, maybe something really light in the morning just to kick start your metabolism.

3) believe it or not, your method of having a reward day, has in recent studies proven to actually help lose weight faster. It fools the bodies metabolism into going faster then you are back to lower calories... it works so good job idea there.

4) lastly, if your like me... snacking on healthy veggies tasted horrible to me at first and I was happier just not eating and staying busy. But I forced myself to do it (like forcing yourself to drink more water) and after a couple of months I have grown a taste for *some* of them and I think it helps.

This is the break down I have been using monday-friday and it has worked wonders for me. (worked wonders coupled with skating exercise of course).

I start my day getting up at 5am and leaving the house at 6am

Breakfast 5:30am: 1/2 cup of natural un-pasteurized yogurt with 1/4 cup of grapenuts and 1 banana sliced in the bowl. + 1 cup of coffee.

Snack 8:30am: 1 large carrot

Snack 10am: 1 banana

Lunch 12:00 pm: left over dinner portioned in moderation in a moderate sized tupper wear (example: 1/2-3/4 cup of cooked rice, baked chicken thigh, 1/4 green beans)

snack 2:00 pm: 1 fuji apple

Snack 3:30 pm: 1 large carrot

Dinner 6:30 pm: whatever my wife cooks, but I don't go back for seconds, keep it to a regular plate size, make myself drink at least 1 big glass of water with it.

snack 8pm *sometimes*: piece of toast, or a few crackers with jelly, something like that.

So, I'm sorry to bore you with my schedule, but I just wanted to show how I tried to force some veggies down and also that I try to get some form of metabolized natural sugar into my system every few hours of the day.

That break down and skating 3 times a week and breaking a hard sweat each and every time has given me a totally new lease on life. People don't even recognize me if they haven't seen me in a year. I started at 240lbs and size 38 pants. Today I am 180lbs and wearing size 32 pants. I stopped snoring, and I even had a weird skin rash allergy that magically went away. I tried fad diets at least 5 times over the last 15 years and 3 of those times I lost 20 pounds quick and put it back on (and more) quick. It was finally stopping (the diet) and starting a new way of life that included skating that made the change that has lasted for me. (a year now anyway)

If any of my experiences and studies on this help Jim, thats awesome, if not thats totally cool too, I just want to see you succeed! I look respect you alot, and I can't wait to see you win this! You belong on skates. I know that if you can get past the 6 month mark you will be gold.

Keep up the good fight!
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
My wife cooks too well for me and treats me like a king. Not good for keeping the weight down. She would make me a great breakfast with 2 eggs, 3 sausage patties, 2 slices of bread.
Sounds like she is trying to collect on your life insurance policy sooner instead of later. Reduce your coverage and see if she cooks less.

Good luck with the weight loss. You spent years getting fat, so don't be surprised if it takes a while to lose it. Plus, you have stretched your stomach by overeating, so don't be surprised when you are hungry.

The reason it is hard to lose weight when you get older is that your body and your fat have become such good friends.

I think it is great that you are going to lose weight. Too many people just give up, or never try. You are a great example of not accepting what some see as the inevitable.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Its a misconception that to 'diet' you have to cut your calories drastically. A 1000 calorie (total) diet is CRAZY!

What will happen is your body will go into starvation mode and start eating muscle vs. excess fat it will also further slow down your metabolism telling the body 'store store store store'. So at first you will lose weight because muscle is bulkier and heavier than fat, but then you will replace it with fat and use less energy to move/process causing it to spiral even more.

That is if you aren't working out.

If you ARE working out/exercising you won't have enough energy to eat away the fat stores.

When you start a work out program often you have to 'slight'y increase your caloric intake to handle the new workload, which will also jumpstart your metabolism. The key is not to over-indulge.

Cut out any juices/softdrinks/canned/bottled drinks.

Drink water. The sugars/Corn-Syrup is a killer of calories.

If you are worried about over-eating during the few meals a day, drink 2 glasses of water before eating. The water will help fill you up, provide hydration and you'll feel fuller sooner.

Of course I'm saying all the right things, but I am 5'10 250lbs myself.

But since I started skating back again prepping for derby season I haven't lost weight, but I've lost 3 inches around the waist and my beer belly has shrunk a bit.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM   #10
bolivia

Jim - if you don't mind me asking, what do you weigh? And regardless of the answer, can't skating in any form be part of the process? I'm a bit over weight too, but believe that skating is part of the process, and a fun one at that.

Are you not skating at all or is some of this tongue-in-cheek?

Diet is one thing, but in my heyday of competitive sports which really wasn't that long ago (I am 51 now), exercise was a huge priority and felt that my proper weight was much more indicative of exercise than of diet. I found the harder I exercised, the lighter and healther I ate. At that point my body was telling me what to eat - not my head. In a nutshell, if I had to choose only one form of weight loss endeavor, it would be exercise hands down. Let skating, regardless of your weight or what type of skating, be part of the plan.

Bill
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:29 PM   #11
snyder-dude
"DRUMMING FOR JESUS"

Smile

Decided to delete post taken out of content.

Last edited by snyder-dude; February 2nd, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
snyder-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #12
DanSchallock

No offense Synderdude (honestly I mean this lightly), but I just don't think there is anything good in a secret-to-success new diet of the month. All those things might take some (or a lot) weight off for a time but nothing keeps it off except simple math.
I like freestyle because it follows the rules of simple physics. Hard to do them, but the math is simple... do it wrong, and the jump doesn't work.
Weight and metabolism are the same thing.
Simple math.
Eat less Calories than your body burns up and you will lose weight. (period).
make sure those calories are good calories with all the nutrients you need and you won't get unhealthy as you lose weight. (and yes eating too few calories is like not getting all the nutrients you need and is unhealthy)
make sure healthy exercise that isn't hurting your body is part of your regular routine. (ie. running on pavement and destroying your knees in order to burn calories is a bad trade off)
When one gets to their ideal weight they make sure they consume (more or less) what your body needs to maintain and they will stay there.

simple math.
hard to do.
will power is tough.
exercise takes motivation.
people will always look for a secret new way that promises a simpler solution.
Everyone wants to hear that it isn't their fault they are overweight. "Your body wasn't designed to eat wheat... get off wheat and the weight will fly off". Or, "...eat all the bacon you want and you'll lose weight and be healthier" (hehehe)

The great thing about the lean pre-made meal's Jim said he is buying for dinner is that they are measured... predictable, and presumably have a balanced nutrition in them. Companies like weight watchers would not survive if they provided meals that had no vitamin C for instance.
Eventually learning how to cook that way, works best for everyone in the house in the long run... but I think it's a great "right now" solution to keep the math in check.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM   #13
DanSchallock

additionally, what makes changing the way you eat (especially less) so hard is it is not just nutrition. It's a drug. Food, and our blood sugar level, not to mention physiological comfort from quote unquote comfort foods are closely tied into our moods.
and when your in a bad mood cause you haven't had that wonderful cheeseburger and coke feeling in 6 weeks, and your extra tired that day... well guess what.. your more likely to say "F* it!" then people have a bad day, then a bad couple of days, then they feel like failures (at least I did), and then the worse thing happens. People start to believe they are not capable to accomplishing the goal. They think they just aren't capable of it and think down on themselves.
So eating and daily mood, and self respect are all tied together in a nasty cycle that can hold people for years or their whole life. Getting off that cycle for a month makes the next month easier, and 6 months made a huge leap for me and now I don't feel the difficulty anymore.
Obviously I don't to mean to come off like I think everyone should be at their high school weight, or that I don't believe in different body types.... I'm just saying this process is hard because it attacks us at a very deep emotional level.
There was a time when meals and what was for the next meal was all I looked forward to. That had to change to get around this beast.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:34 PM   #14
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
No offense Synderdude (honestly I mean this lightly), but I just don't think there is anything good in a secret-to-success new diet of the month. All those things might take some (or a lot) weight off for a time but nothing keeps it off except simple math.
I like freestyle because it follows the rules of simple physics. Hard to do them, but the math is simple... do it wrong, and the jump doesn't work.
Simple math.
make sure those calories are good calories with all the nutrients you need and you won't get unhealthy as you lose weight. (and yes eating too few calories is like not getting all the nutrients you need and is unhealthy)
make sure healthy exercise that isn't hurting your body is part of your regular routine. (ie. running on pavement and destroying your knees in order to burn calories is a bad trade off)
When one gets to their ideal weight they make sure they consume (more or less) what your body needs to maintain and they will stay there.

simple math.
hard to do.
will power is tough.
Everyone wants to hear that it isn't their fault they are overweight. "Your body wasn't designed to eat wheat... get off wheat and the weight will fly off". Or, "...eat all the bacon you want and you'll lose weight and be healthier" (hehehe)

The great thing about the lean pre-made meal's Jim said he is buying for dinner is that they are measured... predictable, and presumably have a balanced nutrition in them. Companies like weight watchers would not survive if they provided meals that had no vitamin C for instance.
Eventually learning how to cook that way, works best for everyone in the house in the long run... but I think it's a great "right now" solution to keep the math in check.
That^^^^

I'm proud of you Jim. You took the most important steps:
1) Get your wife on board.
2) Announce your intentions to others to create accountability.
3) Making a concious, deliberate effort to figure out what works for you and sticking to it.

One of the reasons I got back into skating was for the excercise. Everything I tried was too uninspiring until I started skating. Now I look forward to my workouts.

I went from 245 to 206 and leveled off at around 210. Recently I started gaining a pound here, a pound there. When I saw a Biggest Loser Contest posted at my work, I signed up. Now I am back on the wagon again and headed for 185.

As was stated, the key is in relearning how to eat. When I quit my 25 year smoking habit I had to relearn how to do everything without a cigarette. Now I am doing the same thing with food. The biggest problem is that you can't quit food "cold turkey". You have to learn how to meter the temptation. Seems impossible at times.

Keep posting your progress. A pound a week is good, actually. That is considered healthy weight loss. That is the rate I am shooting for at this point.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:20 PM   #15
Ancient1

Bill,
I don't mind answering. I am right at 300 lbs. I am almost 5'11. After my pituitary tumor most of my glands shut down. I developed severe arthritis at first but that when away without meds. I still get severe cramps all over for no reason.
I am still very active. I am walking well over a mile each day carrying about 30 lbs of weights. I am standing for half a day. I walk much faster than kids in their teens or in their 20's.

The reason I am not skating right now is if I fall, I break bones. No 2 ways about it. Too heavy to handle it. A bad concussion has my wife spooked. She worries that I could hurt myself bad enough that I won't be able to work or even worse. So I will get my weight down near 200 to 210 (or maybe 225) before I start back. I want to get at least my double mapes back shortly after I start back skating. I know I can do it. I have no freaking doubts.

I will lose the weight. I will skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia View Post
Jim - if you don't mind me asking, what do you weigh? And regardless of the answer, can't skating in any form be part of the process? I'm a bit over weight too, but believe that skating is part of the process, and a fun one at that.

Are you not skating at all or is some of this tongue-in-cheek?

Diet is one thing, but in my heyday of competitive sports which really wasn't that long ago (I am 51 now), exercise was a huge priority and felt that my proper weight was much more indicative of exercise than of diet. I found the harder I exercised, the lighter and healther I ate. At that point my body was telling me what to eat - not my head. In a nutshell, if I had to choose only one form of weight loss endeavor, it would be exercise hands down. Let skating, regardless of your weight or what type of skating, be part of the plan.

Bill
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:34 PM   #16
Ancient1

Even while I was eating 2500 to 3000 calories on average a day I still had a slow weight gain. The gland issue has caused me to drastically cut my intake.

Thanks for all the responses. I've tried a small breakfast. I have tried small meals several times a day. What I am doing now does not get me sick, and I am rarely hungry. Being hungry was a big problem each time I tried to lose weight. I am NOT getting tired or feeling weak while I am eating this way.

I have plenty of energy and I will stick with this plan. Believe it or not, when I was young I ate like this and I stayed very slim.

Oh I did fail to mention that every few days I will eat a few ounces of nuts or a few oz of yogurt in the evening. I have also stopped drinking diet soda's. I drink a lot of water and some fresh brewed (peach and mango) tea and add a little lemon.

So thanks again for all the information.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:43 PM   #17
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

I agree, 1000 cals/day is not sustainable. You'll find yourself cheating. Raiding sugar bowls with a teaspoon etc.

I'm not so sure about the skipping breakfast thing. I think you have to "empty the tank" now and then, in order to reset leptin and insulin resistance. And skipping breakfast is a dead easy way to fast for 16 hours.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:48 PM   #18
Ancient1

Dan,
Exactly! Getting the right balance of nutrients for the body and taking in less calories than I am expending is what I am doing. I get my grains in the bread. I get my dairy with cheese and yogurt. I get protein with the meat in my sandwich and with the nuts. I get the fiber with the nuts. I also take vitamins and colon health (live bacteria pills) and flax seed oil. Speaking of oil, I have cut down drastically the amount of fats in my diet.

I like eating the prepackaged meals. They don't taste bad, they are low in calories. I don't feel that I am insulting my wife for not eating everything she makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
Simple math.

simple math.
hard to do.
will power is tough.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:33 AM   #19
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Oatmeal for breakfast. No sugar. Keeps thing moving along and really has not down side.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:01 AM   #20
Ancient1

My wife is always asking me if I want oatmeal. If I do, it is on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Oatmeal for breakfast. No sugar. Keeps thing moving along and really has not down side.