S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #101
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Skaters View Post
Back to the subject of Gold Skate itself. I went in and made an ArtisticRollerSkatin name on Youtube. I put all the Gold Skate videos I could find on the Favorites, if anyone would like to see some videos without wading through the search engine thing.

www.youtube.com/artisticrollerskatin

I've seen a few, but had hoped to see some of the ones years ago. Thanks!
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #102
Bill

[QUOTE=MWehmeier;96914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Bill... Got it! THANK YOU SWEETIE!!!!

I'm bringing my small tripod and picking up a new hand grip this weekend. Those long exposures can blow a picture. I also have an 85mm portrait lens that shoots most sports fairly well.

I've got 2 big batteries for the Nikon and about 24 gb of memory cards. Plus I can always send Dr. Doug over to the hotel to off load them to the computer or bring it with me.

Bill-- all you need to do is look for the gal with more camera equiptment than brains coming in the door-- I still look like my icon-- little older... Trust me if necessary... I'll find you!

Anything else you can add and get typed, I'll be thrilled to hear.

How is the PT coming?you'll want to have the focus inContinuous-servo AF (AF-C); PT is going good the physicaltherapistsI got lucky sn my theripist is anev dancer and understands how to be a good coach,
Mary Lu
the ideal les is a 70-200 2.8if you have a fast 85mm you will find a use for it speed is the key to sharp images remember the 1/ focal lenght rule means the 300mm shoulb shot at 1/300 vr helps thatsecuse the tripod I use a mono pod but think a tripod makes sencethe reason for most soft images willl be camera motion and also of course subject motion 1/200 should freeze the action but I've shot faster and=faster= sharperreview the imagesyou like on your computerand you'll see what settings work or don't work.fro viewingand sorting I use aseedeesee for processing I likebibble labssoft ware. alsophoto mechanicis good when you have gigs of photosto reviewiuse acdeesee classic it's easy on the puter resources and cheap. sounds like yuo got the memory and batteries covered excellent !
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #103
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Bill:

Glad to hear the PT's going well!

The new lens 70-300mm zoom is supposed to be able to give an honest 410mm once you do the nasty math. I pawned my soul for the AF-VR (Vibration Reduction) features on all my new lenses. As you know Nikon gives nothing away. (As you know a new big Nikon Zoom = new pair of skates! Ouch!) I do remember the rule on lens size to shutter speed but thanks for reminding me.

The major problem for me is correcting for that darn floor color and dealing with the existing lighting. I've gotten spoiled shooting ice where everything is white and reflects light like a mirror. But as we all say... "We'll clean it up in post!"

On second thought I agree with the monopod vs tripod issue. We've got two bogen tripods sitting here begging to be used. I will toss one in. I can see your point in being able to move quicker with the monopod.

On that note, I'm off to shoot a quilt show in Ontario!

Hugs... Keep up the PT! We need you stronger!

Mary Lu

MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #104
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysk8rgirl View Post
The Forestiere Garden is an amazing place. I haven't been in about 10 years, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We plan to take our two little ones on the way back from Gold Skate.
It does look like something of fun for the whole family.

Thank you for the reply
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #105
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Do they have vendors that sell anything there?
skating products or beadings anything to do with skating?
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:03 AM   #106
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
Do they have vendors that sell anything there?
skating products or beadings anything to do with skating?

Yes, they have a few vendors at Gold Skate. That is where we got my daughter's skate bag.
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:07 AM   #107
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:
Yes, they have a few vendors at Gold Skate. That is where we got my daughter's skate bag.

kudos!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:34 AM   #108
hikkergurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I booked my room at the raddison and got a ride lined upI"M going for sure not sure how I"LL be handeling my camera but the rehab is going good. still shooting 2-3,000 photos had me shooting forhours and editing for weeks I love to watch skaters so I know it will bea great time for me.
BIll
OMG!!!!

Bill, I just read this post about your condition!!!!

Honey, are you o.k???? Too much skirt watching?????

I'll continue to pray for you.

Get well as we still need to skate in Portland together
Liz
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM   #109
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Default Schedule

Has anyone seen a copy of the Gold Skate's schedule of events?

Some of us need to plan our weekend's.

Mary Lu
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM   #110
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWehmeier View Post
Has anyone seen a copy of the Gold Skate's schedule of events?

Some of us need to plan our weekend's.

Mary Lu

My guess is that it is not out yet.
Artistic Skate Videos
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #111
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

I saw your note and thought to mention they are to have the schedule done this weekend.

When I find it out I will bring word here.

Old January 26th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #112
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
I saw your note and thought to mention they are to have the schedule done this weekend.

When I find it out I will bring word here.

Thank you! I just hope we don't have a rain/snow weekend when the pass gets closed at Gorman.

Mary Lu
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #113
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Since it is getting close, might there be any one wish to make any comments on their group numbers or solo skaters representing their rinks?

Something/Anything?

Old January 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #114
pacificsk8r

Quote:
Since it is getting close, might there be any one wish to make any comments on their group numbers or solo skaters representing their rinks?

Something/Anything?

Well, although our rink is not doing a show this year for GS, I am looking forward to watching a couple skaters from our rink; Julie Ball skating World Class singles, and Becca Lesniak skating in the Open Free Dance. I'm also looking forward to watching Meghan Burt skate singles. When I participated in the very FIRST Gold Skate Classic. They used to give out a gold "participant" medal; and the trophys were "challenge" trophys. They had a big gold plate with wheels on the top. They were quite large and stood about 3 feet tall (at least it looked that way when I was 11! haha). They would engrave your name on them and you kept them for the entire year (in pairs I had to share with my partner half the year), they would engrave your name on it, then it would be up for grabs again the following year. They were kind of cool actually. They obviously don't do that anymore. They give out individual trophys.
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #115
Mom2Skaters

Quote:

Something/Anything?

Are we allowed? Isn't it top secret? lol I will say that I have been working on my daughter's dress forever and it is still not done.
Artistic Skate Videos
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #116
lovemysk8rgirl

Talking

Quote:
Are we allowed? Isn't it top secret? lol
Yep, we could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you... isn't that how it goes?

Quote:
I will say that I have been working on my daughter's dress forever and it is still not done.
Oohhh, I hear you. We're sewing our whole team's costumes and it seems to be taking *forever*! Just remember, it'll all be worth it to see them out on the floor for their 2-4 minutes of fame & glory!! lol
lovemysk8rgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #117
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Well, I am sorry to find out the Italian Underground Gardens are listed as closed, and so for those that had that on the agenda...it looks like no go.

The schedule for the Goldskate is not listed to be out until the end of this week. My friend said they should have it done then. So you may wish to check with your rinks before this weekend.

As I did mention, I will as soon as I have it bring it here. If someone on here gets it please post

looking forward to seeing the show!

Old February 1st, 2008, 11:39 PM   #118
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Well, folks it looks like it is a four part series on this event. February 16 The beginning is on Saturday morning at 7:30 am; now this is to run untill 3:30 pm at which point a break until 6:00 pm. Then this will begin the evening skating show and competition. Again on February 17 Sunday morning will be at 7:30 am - Noon. Then will again resume in the evening...sadly I have forgotten the time exactly, but I think it was again at 6:00 pm.

Now the costs for the tickets are less if you purchase the entire two days of show. You can purchase individual tickets for each show you wish to watch. The age group of 3 and under are free, and yes you are able to come and out if need be.

If there is any times that I may have gotten wrong, please let me know as well as all the others here.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM   #119
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
... The schedule for the Goldskate is not listed to be out until the end of this week. My friend said they should have it done then. So you may wish to check with your rinks before this weekend.

...looking forward to seeing the show!

Here's my problem... (this may sound familiar to some...) "Check with your rinks..."

On Soapbox (again)-- Pastskater this is not aimed at you, but the show organizers. Thanks for posting what you have...

I don't understand why the organizers of The Gold Skate Classic do not put up a copy of the general schedule online. Either post it on a website specific for the event, (it's cheap to do these day,) or on USA Rollersports website. I know the national office folks would be more than happy to put it up for everyone in skating to see. (Here is Michael's invitation to post on USARS site: http://www.usarollersports.org/vnews.../438f7f336c264) We also know they have probably all ready typed it up for distribution for the clubs/entrants, so putting it up online isn't a stretch.

Getting the information and schedule about this event is like every other meet or event in California, where I or other skaters, or skating alumni are being forced to "belong to a club," in order to see a copy of the blasted schedule. It honestly does not make sense to me.

We keep being told we need to do all we can to promote the sport, yet the largest events in California, Regionals, Gold Skate Classic, Southern California meets are never ever posted online anywhere.

I honestly do not get it. I would think (and may be I'm wrong,) that if the organizers want to fill the Fresno venue, or pump up the attendance at any of the meets, someone needs to post these events online.

Mary Lu

PS If someone has the entire schedule, it would be nice if they could post it here. Thanks.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM   #120
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Maybe a suggestion for having a note or two on the idea with RSOA when Regionals and Nationals, and show events with email circulars or even on their website; including Goldskates.

Might want to see if Kathy has some ability of getting a flyer or information on these events. May have to wait until after the rinks have gotten their copies? She is a dream with information, and may be able to help this forum with such information sought. This would further for the Artistic and/or calendar on events; for those wishing to see a skating event.

Would make it a bit easier
See you there!